View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 2:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Receivers 
Peewee Leaguer

Post Receivers
A couple comments about our receiving corps from a new member. I posted this under the new WR coach subject heading and hadn't got any bites so I decided to repost under a new heading and see if I got any hits.

Did any else notice Roy Williams lack of focus the last month of the season? There were some passes where he didn't even get his hands up. In those last 3-4 games of the year, it looked like he was just going through the motions sometimes. I think he has the talent to be a great one, but he has to focus on every play. Maybe the ankle was bothering him too much. It bothered me that he bragged that the NFL was not that difficult and then it looked like he hit a wall.

I hope that Hakim is gone. I've watched him drop way too many balls over the last couple years. How can you pay someone that much to only catch 30-40 balls a year and drop another 15-20.

Add Stephen Alexander to that list too. That drop in the endzone against Jax. ended up costing us that game. After Drummond's awesome returns, the game would have never went into overtime if he could have caught that easy one. That game to me was the turning point of the season as far as me giving up any playoff hopes.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

February 10th, 2005, 2:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Seeing as I live here in Austin and the Longhorns get talked about alot, and alot of their games get air time. I have been able to watch alot of Roy during his career here. I don't recall him taking any plays off, but it did seem like when he was injured he didn't put his all into it from what I observed. That's really the only knock if you want to look at it as that, that I can say about him.

As far as the other recievers go, I think if Crog can stay healty along w/ Roy then I think Az can help us out playing slot. However as far as Az goes he's just not cut out to be a #1 or #2 guy IMO. Slot seems to be his best fit. Look at what he did in St. Louis w/ Holt and Bruce.

And TE, yeah that's a need that I am sure the Lions will look at this offseason. I'd be happy with either a FA or bringing in a Rookie.

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 10th, 2005, 2:29 pm
Site Admin

I think many of the people here feel the same way.

Roy can have a bright future...but I think he was not full health in the last part of the season. After a good offseason he should be back to form...I hope!!!

Hakim was wayyyyyyyyy over priced...but I actually think he is great in the slot and he can make some big plays. If he was 3rd fiddle to Roy and Chuck for a lot less cash that would be pretty nice. But still many more are like yourself and want him gone. I think the memories of him and Schroeder are so painfull still...them trading days off being injured and the other dropping balls left and right. *shudders*

Alexander is not that good. I personally liked Ricks and was a bit bummed when he was gone. The guy also could bust up the middle for a big play or two and he had some wheels for a big boy. But needless to say we need a TE with all the goods.

February 10th, 2005, 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

Thanks for the info. on Roy Williams from his college days. That would explain a lot. He went from a world-beater to a so-so receiver. It gives me more hope for next year that it was just the injury and not a lack of motivation.

Anyone hear anymore on the recovery of Charles Rogers? I hurt about a plate being inserted to avoid further injury, but that's about it. I'm from the middle of the mitten and know a lot of Spartan fans, and even they are using the word "fragile" and "damaged goods".

Any info. on the health of Eddie Drummond either?

Also, any more word on Tai Streets and retirement? I know he is an UFA anyway, and he was such a bust I don't think the Lions will resign him anyway.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

February 10th, 2005, 4:03 pm
RIP Killer

Roy admitted he hit the wall after the tenth game or so. He was also having problems with that ankle, hence the surgery. I feel Roy showed he can be a phenomenal talent. Hopefully the Lions can add another receiver to play slot, re-sign Swinton and get another young player so that there can be a rotation to keep Rogers and Williams fresh. Roy was in on most offensive plays early in the season and just got plain wore out. It happens to many NFL rookies. On the other hand, Kevin Jones seemed to get stronger as the season wore on. A good solid tight end added to the mix would help take some heat off our wide outs and they'll get less beat up down the field from opposing safeties.

My understanding is that Drummond is fine. He will be back when camp starts in excellent health. Haven't heard that Streets is retiring, nor any other Lions players. Kelvin Pritchett should retire.

February 10th, 2005, 5:35 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

My understanding is that Drummond is fine. He will be back when camp starts in excellent health. Haven't heard that Streets is retiring, nor any other Lions players. Kelvin Pritchett should retire.
Is going to be back in Detroit's camp? The last I had heard he had yet to be signed, has that changed?

If Streets retires IMO it will be because he doesn't feel he can make it onto a roaster. He's not that old.

February 10th, 2005, 6:04 pm
Heisman Winner

Hakim must go. Let him drop balls for someone else. I am amazed Harrington throws to him sometimes. Still hard to believe they cut Morton and Moore for Hakim and Schroeder... Yes Hakim can and does make some nice plays in the slot, he also can and does kill drives with his lack of concentration.

February 10th, 2005, 6:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Hakim must go. Let him drop balls for someone else. I am amazed Harrington throws to him sometimes. Still hard to believe they cut Morton and Moore for Hakim and Schroeder... Yes Hakim can and does make some nice plays in the slot, he also can and does kill drives with his lack of concentration.

I still think that Az can be good if he plays slot. As we all have seen he does not play very well when he is the #1 or #2. I say if we can restructure his deal, bring him back and let him duke it out w/ someone else for the slot position.

Are we forgetting how well he played at slot in St. Louis? He had Holt and Bruce around him. I think if we put Crog and Roy around him that maybe we can expect him to play like he did in St. Louis. However if he fails to produce next year then cut our loses and let him go.

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 10th, 2005, 7:16 pm
RIP Killer

The thing about Az is that he gains separation and finds the seams well. However, if he can't catch the ball that distance does him no good. He is making too much to be a third receiver and needs to renegotiate to stay on the team.

February 10th, 2005, 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]