View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Griese Lions! 
Peewee Leaguer

Post Griese Lions!
All lions fans please forgive me, I did not know that griese was even up for grabs! how exciting! On a side note, John Kitna can just go away, we already have a terrible QB. But griese would be a great fit. Don't laugh but I used this guy in my season on madden and did awesome with him (MADDEN 2002) anyway I think he could be the next Erik Kramer in waiting (whom led us to the 91-92 Nfc championchip Game) I would be pleased with Griese, or hell with it, Warner for that matter. There NEEDS to be someone to get Harrigton moving and I think these two are the guys to push the envelope with him. Griese gets my vote![size=18][/size][size=12][/size]

January 20th, 2005, 7:48 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Don't laugh? I was laughing until I got to the part about Warner. Well, I'm laughing again, now stop!

January 21st, 2005, 1:16 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

If they can get him for the right price I'd really like to see Greise in Detroit. Not wild about the idea of Warner. He seems like a bad fit to me even if Mooch tweeks the system (I read he was going to). I'd rather see them sign Garcia if they go with that type of vet. (an older guy who's strugled as of late)

Is Greise realistic? I could see him being offered a starting job out right by other teams, and I wonder what his market value would be.

January 25th, 2005, 7:11 pm
Water Boy

This is the guy i want in here to lead this team. Im sure as cheap as the BUCS are they wont get a deal worked out with him, especially with Gruden having Simms fever. We can win the division next year with Griese under center. He completed 70% of his passes last year with a so so WR corps.

My avatar says how i feel about Griese. We could be a lot better team with him here.

January 29th, 2005, 3:27 am
Site Admin

January 29th, 2005, 9:03 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

This is the guy i want in here to lead this team. Im sure as cheap as the BUCS are they wont get a deal worked out with him, especially with Gruden having Simms fever. We can win the division next year with Griese under center. He completed 70% of his passes last year with a so so WR corps.

My avatar says how i feel about Griese. We could be a lot better team with him here.

Welcome to the LB board LionNation. Griese appears to be the clear cut favorite off season QB signing the Lions could make.

The Bucs meet with Griese's agent at the senior bowl this last week. So at least both sides are interested in working it out. The Bucs do have some cap issues going on right now and also have a nice set of pics in the draft - they have a lot of decisions to make right now.

Actually there rookie wr had a very productive season, comparable to Roy's in Detroit. Certainly losing Keenan didn't help their wr corp last year.

But yes, if the Lions signed Griese this off season (which may not involve dumping Joey), their will be a lot of this:

:idea: :idea: :arrow: :idea: :idea:

happening on the Lionbacker message board.

January 29th, 2005, 10:24 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Hey Pablo, on this topic, if the Lions were to sign Griese how do you see next year working out? Who lines up under center to start the season and what about the next season?

January 29th, 2005, 3:57 pm
RIP Killer

Most likely it would be Harrington still as the starter next season, unless killer was right (and the Lions release Joey) :roll: , with Griese as the backup (knowing Joey's leash was pretty short).

If that was to happen, it would all be up to how Joey performs early. If he struggles, Griese gets the job, keeps it till the end of the season, Joey would be cut and Griese would be the starter going into 2006...

Let's see what the Bucs do first. I think they will resign him at this point. Brad is gone. The Bucs want to go with Simms but he hasn't played much in his first two years, so Griese is a nice insurance policy in Tampa. It all comes down to $ right now.

If the teams can't work it out, Griese won't be cheap. The Lions should have signed him last year. He would have been cheaper then and the Lions could have had Joey, Mike and Brian. That's 3 young QBs all with some potential.

Griese would have been the starter going into next season in that scenario.

January 29th, 2005, 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

Post Griese
I agree that Griese wouldn't come cheap, but I also feel he's one of very few QBs it would be worth paying to come in here and compete for the starting job or be a capable backup. I've read that Tampa is some $14 million over the cap right now, and it's highly unlikely they'll be able to work out a deal with Griese. I'd like to see him come here, but only time will tell what his interest in coming here is and how much he would cost.

January 30th, 2005, 2:05 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

we aren't the only team that wants him. I'm sure that Arizona or Chicago would be interested in him. He would be assured a starting job there. I don't see why he would want to come here when he can't give him the money he will want (right?) and he has to work for the starting position.

January 30th, 2005, 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

So, to play devil's advocate, what have you seen in him through his career that makes him worth the money that they would have to pay for him? Aside from one decent season in Tampa, what is it? sleazy, lionnation, gvsu?

January 30th, 2005, 7:30 pm
Heisman Winner

Didn't Griese go to the Pro bowl when he was in Denver? Seems like a perfect fit for #2. A guy who has started and can WIN games when he plays. None of it will matter until they stop someone at the end of games anyhow though. Maybe I'm a Joey apologist, but I don't think I am. I feel he's very close to being a good player. I saw a lot of touchdown and third down passes bounce off hands last year. I do see however that he may not make it through next year. All that said, I'd love for Griese to come to Detroit...

February 10th, 2005, 7:23 pm
QB Coach

When all is said and done, I see Griese signing a contract with Tampa. His agent has been in discussions with the club, the club wants him back, it just seems like that would make sense.

I think that Harrington is a lot like Matt Hasselbeck, playing style wise. Just an observation from watching them play. Hopefully we can be like Seattle's offense this year.

February 10th, 2005, 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Brian is right. Griese was a dream, but it is very doubtful that he will leave tampa. It would be nice to find a diamond in the rough in the draft, but that wouldn't light the fire under joey that he needs. How about chris simms. I doubt the bucs will keep him. I also surprised that no one has speculated on Jay Fielder. I don't like him, but he is experienced and will might be available if Saben likes AJ. Thoughts?

February 11th, 2005, 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

I have never been able to convince myself that Greise was totally realistic. That said I haven't totally given up hope on him either. No question the Bucs would like to keep him. But can they? They look to be in a pretty ugly cap situation and while I don't think they should sacrifice Greise, sacrifices will have to be made. Even if the Bucs let him go I'd have my doubts that Detroit would beat out the other teams that may have intrest in him...but who knows.

Greise is the only FA QB I could see the Lions throwing any kind of REAL money at. After that I'd say Garcia, Brad Johnson or even Warner ( all for substantially less $$ I would hope). Whatever happens, IMO they need someone who at least MIGHT be able to take over as the starter, if Harrington "slumps" badly again. I don't think the coaches or the fans are ready to grin and bare another season of growing pains.

Of course I hope Harrington can turn the corner this season, but there's no question in my mind that, the time has come to plan for when he doesn't. Meaning a FA stop gap, and a rookie with some promise.

February 11th, 2005, 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next