View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 2:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 CLEVELAND (AP) - Quarterback Jeff Garcia was released Monday 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post CLEVELAND (AP) - Quarterback Jeff Garcia was released Monday
Feb 14, 5:11 PM (ET)

CLEVELAND (AP) - Quarterback Jeff Garcia was released Monday by the Cleveland Browns, who cut ties with the three-time Pro Bowler after one bad season and with three years left on his contract.
Garcia signed a four-year, $25 million free agent contract with the Browns last March after spending five seasons with the San Francisco 49ers. But almost from the time Garcia arrived in Cleveland, there were problems.

During the exhibition season, the 34-year-old complained he wasn't getting enough playing time and that he was having trouble adjusting to new teammates and a new offense. Garcia made things worse by openly criticizing former Browns coach Butch Davis and offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie, complaining that they weren't using him properly.

After rallying the Browns (4-12) to beat Baltimore in Week 1, Garcia threw three interceptions the next week in a loss at Dallas and recorded a 0.0 quarterback rating - only the fifth NFL quarterback since 1970 to do so.

Garcia's season also was hampered by injuries. He strained his shoulder on a sack against the New York Jets on Nov. 21 and tore a knee ligament on Dec. 12 in Buffalo.

February 14th, 2005, 7:19 pm
RIP Killer

I heard that driving home from work tonight. Garcia is going to be much talked about in Detroit over the next few weeks. Some bullet points why the Lions could take a run at him:

1) has been an All-Pro
2) knows the WCO
3) has been coached by Mooch
4) had no WRs in CLE last year

I would be interested in how long of a contract he is after and what the Lions would sign him for. Any contract negotiations at QB should be telling. The Lions have a lot of $ tied up into the position already and another big contract could strap the Leos over the next few years. Good thing is they have managed their cap pretty well the last few years under Millen.

February 14th, 2005, 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Don't forget the fact that Garcia had no offensive line and was running for his life in Cleveland.

February 14th, 2005, 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Fair Weather Fan

Post Garcia
I'm beyond sick of this trend of "lets hire anyone with any sort of tie to san fran". If the lions bring him in I'm going to be pissed. I'm sick of Mariucci hiring people and bringing in players because hes "comfortable" with them. How about we make a solid effort at bringing in some impact players instead of a has-been, talks too much, "mobile" quarterback who just cant win anymore. I guess I have to concede that Garcia is probably a better option than Warner, but I'd rather pony up the $ to sign Griese or Kitna. I'm not satisfied with the Lions mentality at all. We should be focusing on fixing the safety position and backup QB, but not Garcia. We've got enough "injury prone" people to worry about, no sense in paying alot of money for someone who probably has nothing left in the tank but a variety of aches and pains and a big mouth in public that he can't back on the field. sorry to waste everyone's time with this rant, I'm just in a bad mood and I want to see my team making good decisions.

February 14th, 2005, 8:42 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

You make some good points on what not to like about Garcia. I agree with just about everything you've said...accept for the part about not signing him :lol: If he's affordable, healthy, and still mobil I say get him.

For me it's more of a question of "if not Garcia than who?" I'd love for it to be Greise, but I bet that won't happen. Like you I think he's a better choice than Warner. Likewise when you compare him to Brad Johnson. The team is looking for a backup who can actually win. IMO Garcia may be the best they can get for next year. I wouldn't think it would be a permanent situation. Just a stop gap type of thing. He's going to be 35. I would think he plays for two more seasons, maybe a little more if he doesn't mind slideing down to #3.
They have eluded to drafting someone as well. After a year or two hopefully that guy can step in as #2 or better.

One thing that makes me wonder on Garcia: If they tweak the offence to better fit Harrington would Garcia still be a good fit? If not maybe they should go with Warner after all? I don't really think so but it's a thought.

February 14th, 2005, 9:42 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I would love to get Jeff, but would he really like to have to compete to get the starting job? He probably would rather find a guarenteed starting postion and more money than we can give him. There is no other good, fesiable FA, in my opinion, but will he come?

February 14th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I'm just wondering what people expect Garcia to work with here. I think our OL is terrible nobody outside of Woody nobody plays like a first or even second rounder but they still gets paid that way. And we do have two talented recievers who have only shown flashes of what they can do and a bunch of scrubs.

Also when he still had a line and recievers in SF his numbers were still taking a steady and rapid decline.

February 15th, 2005, 1:15 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

But when he started to decline wasnt mooch on the unemployment line

February 15th, 2005, 9:38 am
Site Admin

All anyone has said is that we need a vet to come in a challenge Harrington. IMO Jeff fits the bill if he isn't too expensive. Like everyone else has said who else is out there? Kitna is only a couple years younger than Garcia and had only one decent season. Griese is likely to remain with his team...Warner is washed up. Garcia has proven to been good and with Mooch as his coach so obviously Garcia will look seriously at this situation as a way to get to his former glory. This will also show Joey that this is serious and that he is not gonna get the job by default cause he was a high pick. If Joey beats him out for the starting job than I feel extremely comfortable with Garcia as a backup. If not than Joey is perfectly capable of playing that role as well.

I understand the whole point about hiring all 49ers getting old...I was not a fan of the Tollner hire myself but San Fran always had a competitive team even in the face of a slaughtered cap. I would rather rebuild with components from San Fran than from the Lions because I would say they have had one of the better organizations in the NFL ever IMO. Anyways...for the right price I think it would be a logical move. If we combine the strength and skill of the Lions youth with some winning experience we could do some great things.

February 15th, 2005, 10:36 am
Profile WWW
All State

All anyone has said is that we need a vet to come in a challenge Harrington. IMO Jeff fits the bill if he isn't too expensive. Like everyone else has said who else is out there? Kitna is only a couple years younger than Garcia and had only one decent season. Griese is likely to remain with his team...Warner is washed up. Garcia has proven to been good and with Mooch as his coach so obviously Garcia will look seriously at this situation as a way to get to his former glory. This will also show Joey that this is serious and that he is not gonna get the job by default cause he was a high pick. If Joey beats him out for the starting job than I feel extremely comfortable with Garcia as a backup. If not than Joey is perfectly capable of playing that role as well.

i agree with alpha on this one - :shock:

given what the lions are looking for, garcia seems a pretty logical choice to me. when you look at the other options, assuming the bucs resign griese, there isn't much out there more suitable to the lions right now than garcia. if it comes down between warner and garcia, jeff is a better fit at this point.

compared to last year (joey, mike, rick), i like i qb situation much better if we have joey, jeff and a mid-to-late round draft pick as our #3 qb.

February 15th, 2005, 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

I agree totally with Alphamale's opinions. There is just no one else out there. He is the best availabe. I also agree though not to give up too much money or go too long on the deal (2 years).

I just don't see anyone else that fits the criteria i.e. (established veteran, winning track-record, can start, hopefully won't want top money, hungry to prove himself)

Either he'll push Harrington to move up into the top 15 category as a QB or he'll replace him. Either way the Lions improve on the field, which is what we all ultimately want. More W's and Less L's.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

February 15th, 2005, 12:23 pm
QB Coach

Didn't Kitna sign a contract extention recently to stay with Cincinnati and back up?

February 15th, 2005, 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Didn't Kitna sign a contract extention recently to stay with Cincinnati and back up?
That was my understanding, which is why I don't really mention him. I'm luke warm on Kitna and really don't see him worth trading for.

February 15th, 2005, 10:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It seems we are all agreed on Garcia since griese is unrealistic and warner is just stupid, and we have no choice but to keep Harrington, love him or hate him. But what happens if he doesn't pan out? Maybe someone gives him more money or something else? What are our options besides jeff. Nothing. We know Mike isn't going to let the door hit him on the way out. It doesn't seem like we have much options besides Garcia and the draft. Your Thoughts?

February 15th, 2005, 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

Post I agree
Well, it looks like everyone was excited Garcia was released. Me especially. Keep in mind about the cap situation, Harrington was willing to restructure his contract to acommodate the Lions salary cap. Also the bears and cards have money to offer a long term deal to garcia, where as the only thing goin for the lions is that he played with coach already. I got a feeling that the Warner possibilty is looming around more so than we think. I read or heard that Warner sent some tapes to the lions to show he was interested in them. I like Garcia better as well, but with Griese being a dream, I don't think the lions will pursue Garcia as hard as we hope, but you never know. Also there are a few more prospects out there, Matt Hasselback, Drew Brees, and a few more. I would like to add this nightmare sceneario, Testeverde. Why not? the lions bumble everything else why not the fossil...........theres a thought Vinny Testeverde as the new QB.........it would figure.

February 16th, 2005, 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next