View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 2:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Roy William's surgery 
Peewee Leaguer

Post Roy William's surgery
NOTEBOOK: Wide receiver Roy Williams had surgery Thursday in Charlotte, N.C., to clean up the ankle injury that hampered his performance in the second half of the season. Tight end Stephen Alexander had similar surgery shortly after the season.

This came out of the Freep a couple of days ago. Does anyone know how serious the surgery was or what kind?

What about recovery time?

If it was bad enough to require surgery, no wonder he wasn't playing up to snuff the last month of the season.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

February 15th, 2005, 12:28 pm
RIP Killer

Typically with ankles you want to avoid surgery if possible and let the injury heal on it's own. The issue with Roy was it wasn't healing as expected.

I don't know the exact nature of the surgery, but in general it is an 8-10 week recovery period. Roy should be back just in time for mini camps in April.

Unfortunately, I damaged my ankle pretty good 2-3 weeks ago so I am more familiar with these issues than I would like to be. I had a pretty severe high ankle sprain, my like Roy. The doctors told me that I would have healed quicker if I had broken it. I'm guessing it is similar with Roy's situation, except that he kept trying to play on it once it was injured.

In my case the injury healing process has been:
Week 1 - crutches & a soft cast
Week 2 - mid week lost the crutches, limited walking in cast
Week 3 - I've taken off the cast this week but still limping

What I'm projecting:
Week 4 - back walking normal
Week 5 - limited jogging

Even when you get to where you are jogging, you are limited in any side-to-side lateral movements.

My guess is that by week eight Roy will be good to go. TO's ankle was pretty ripped up and he returned to play in 6-7 weeks and looked pretty good.

Last edited by Pablo on February 15th, 2005, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 15th, 2005, 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

We are hoping that you are off the IR soon Pablo...the guys and I chipped in and got you something to help you with your recovery..

February 15th, 2005, 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

That vagisil is really soothing to a sore ankle. :lol:

February 15th, 2005, 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

Thanks for the insight into that type of injury.

I think I found some more info in a Sporting News article. They think that he will miss the early mini-camps.

Quote from the article:
Because his injured ankle wasn't responding as well as the Lions hoped, receiver Roy Williams had surgery recently and will need eight to 10 weeks to recover. While the Lions had hoped surgery wouldn't be needed, they didn't want to delay the decision and possibly affect his ability to participate at the start of training camp. As it is, Williams is expected to sit out the team's minicamp at the end of April.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

February 15th, 2005, 2:46 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Heres hoping he believes in God and pulls a TO. :lol:

Best of luck on your ankle Pablo!!

February 16th, 2005, 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]