View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Power Rankings Lions get snubbed 
Site Admin

Post Power Rankings Lions get snubbed
Lions at 24??? That's not so good
:shock:
Quote:
Power Rankings: Boldly peeking ahead at new season
By Pete Prisco
SportsLine.com Senior Writer

The rankings for Feb. 15:

POWER RANKINGS
Current Team Previous
1 New England Patriots -
There is no way this team can be anywhere but in this top spot. Losing two coordinators won't stop the Patriots from being the 2005 favorite.
2 Indianapolis Colts -
The main goal of the offseason will be to improve the defense. They have to add more players on that side of the ball somehow.
3 Philadelphia Eagles -
They took the next step, but now it's time to take the biggest step. The running game has to get better.
4 Pittsburgh Steelers -
They will again be a factor in the AFC, but there has to be some concern about the way Ben Roethlisberger played late in the season.
5 Baltimore Ravens -
This is a team that should make a major leap forward. If they somehow get Randy Moss, it could be a Super leap.
6 Atlanta Falcons -
That was a heck of a first year for coach Jim Mora, but the passing game has to improve if this is going to be a Super Bowl team.
7 San Diego Chargers -
They made a big move this year, but was it a fluke or can it be sustained? That's a big question.
8 New York Jets -
The uncertainty surrounding Chad Pennington's rotator cuff problems make it tough to gauge this team for 2005. That's a serious injury. They will be lower if he can't go for some time.
9 Seattle Seahawks -
Their offseason will be filled with lots of work with so many pending free agents, including Matt Hasselbeck and Shaun Alexander.
10 Jacksonville Jaguars -
They have a few holes to fill, but they will push the Colts for the division title next year.
11 Denver Broncos -
Mike Shanahan has not won a playoff game since John Elway retired. So is the heat on?
12 Green Bay Packers -
This ranking is based on Brett Favre returning. If he doesn't, they will be in the bottom 10.
13 New Orleans Saints -
They came on strong in the last four weeks, saving coach Jim Haslett's job. Now they need to find a way to carry it over to 2005.
14 Buffalo Bills -
They have a lot of the pieces in place, so it all could be on rookie passer J.P. Losman, who is expected to take over as the starter.
15 Carolina Panthers -
They fought through a ton of injuries in 2004 and almost made the playoffs, so they have to feel good going into 2005.
16 Minnesota Vikings -
They have the Randy Moss issue to resolve. If he is traded, what will that do to this team?
17 Kansas City Chiefs -
The offense again played at a high level in 2004, but it's time for the defense to do something in 2005 in what should be Dick Vermeil's last year.
18 Houston Texans -
It's time for this team to take the next step and compete for a playoff spot. It's year four of the five-year plan.
19 Cincinnati Bengals -
Carson Palmer has the offense in good hands, so now it's time for the defense to show some improvement.
20 Tennessee Titans -
This is a franchise moving in the wrong direction, proof the salary cap is a crippler if you don't manage it right.
21 St. Louis Rams -
Does anybody get the feeling they are ready to push for a Super Bowl? Didn't think so. Could 2005 be the end for Mike Martz?
22 Washington Redskins -
It's time for Patrick Ramsey to step up and show he's the guy the Redskins thought he was when they used a first-round pick on him.
23 Tampa Bay Buccaneers -
Jon Gruden is taking a lot of heat in Tampa, and some of his personnel decisions warrant it. But he's too good a coach for this team to stay down for long.
24 Detroit Lions -
Is Joey Harrington good enough to take this young team to the next level? We really don't know, but it's doubtful.
25 Oakland Raiders -
That defense has to get better if the Raiders are to compete for a playoff spot in 2005.
26 Dallas Cowboys -
They have two first-round picks, which will help, but who will be the quarterback?
27 Arizona Cardinals -
Dennis Green gets a lot of respect as a coach, but if he really thinks Josh McCown is the answer at quarterback he's mistaken.
28 Chicago Bears -
They will get Rex Grossman back at quarterback, but is that enough to move the Bears to a playoff-caliber team? Doubtful.
29 New York Giants -
Eli Manning showed enough as a rookie to give this franchise hope. Now he has to get some help at other positions.
30 Miami Dolphins -
The Dolphins are two or three years away. Nick Saban is the right man for the job, even if the way he goes about things can grate on people.
31 Cleveland Browns -
Can Romeo Crennel bring the New England magic to Cleveland? It will take time.
32 San Francisco 49ers -
New coach Mike Nolan has loads of work to do. At least he has the No. 1 pick to get it started.

February 16th, 2005, 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Actually, that's pretty fair at this point. The Lions 6-10 record put them at the #10 spot in the draft so only 9 teams would rank behind them based on that. Then take into account the Lions 4-2 start and finished the season with a 2-8 mark.

The only teams picking ahead of them in the draft that are ahead of them on this list are Washington and Tennessee - both of whom beat the Lions last year and Tampa Bay (who finished the season decent).

Here's the teams ranked behind the Lions and their draft pick in ():
SF - 32 (1)
CLE - 31 (3)
MIA - 30 (2)
NYG - 29 (traded pick)
CHI - 28 (4)
ARI - 27 (8.)
DAL - 26 (11)
OAK - 25 (7)

Looks reasonable to me before FA begins and the draft can accounted for.

February 16th, 2005, 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

If its a snapshot view that's one thing...I can do a power rankings based upon record but you also have to look at the age of the team and their progress or lack there of. Call me a homer but the Lions have a very good young nucleus. Our defence has more talent than all the other NFC North and our offense has budding young superstars. And on the other hand every year teams slid from good to terrible ala Tampa Bay, Oakland, etc...it's bound to happen to several teams this year. Much more than last year I think the Lions can make a big jump and this guy obviously ranks things on record.

February 16th, 2005, 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Call me a homer

Alpha, you're a HOMER! Now I could have used a bad Spanish word that would be appropriate if you had on bright new white tennis shoes! :lol:

While some "good" teams are sure to falter, predicting which ones is another thing.

Potential is one thing, performance is another. The Lions need to perform if they hope to move up the rankings. I think at this point, the Lions should fall in the 20-25 range.

12 teams made the playoffs, you can't put the Lions ahead of any of them. There were also a number of pretty good teams in the AFC that didn't make the playoffs - they also rank ahead of the Lions. Even if you consider the Lions the 7th best team in the NFC, which I do not, they still don't necessarily make the top 20.

In my week 17 Power Rankings: http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=articles&sub=050104-power

I had the Lions ranked #21 and that was the highest ranking of any team with less than 7 wins. Guess I'm a HOMER too! :twisted:

February 16th, 2005, 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Minnesota made the playoffs at 8-8 and barely beat the Lions of this year. Green Bay got beat by them and mooned as well from their star who will likely be gone. IMO the Lions will overtake these teams shortly. That's 2 playoff teams that I think the Lions will be better than this year coming up. Old Brett Farve and the team losing more and more components...
Minnesota without Moss is what? Poor defense and offense gone flat. I guess that is where I am coming from...I am not saying we are better that 20 but in our division it seems there is a transition occuring.

February 16th, 2005, 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Our defence has more talent than all the other NFC North and our offense has budding young superstars.

Two things I disagree with.

1) I think Chicago has the best defense in the NFC North. Their defense it seemed scored more points than their offense. How many times did our defense singlehandedly blow games this season? Green Bay, Minnesota, and others. Until we fix our secondary, and Jauron learns how to blitz, i'd say Chicago has the best defense.

2) While we have budding superstars in Jones and Williams, the other parts of our offense aren't panning out. Our offensive line could be in serious trouble if we don't re-sign our players, Rogers needs to learn how to stay healthy for a season, and then we have the biggest question mark at quarterback. Our season depends on how Harrington plays, and if last year was an indication, we may never win with him at QB.

February 16th, 2005, 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Old Brett Farve and the team losing more and more components...

actually, we really aren't losing anybody who they can't replace(rivera, sharper and hopefully hunt). And with one of the best DC in the NFL coming to GB, i think it's too early to count GB out already. The media has been doing that to us for the last 3 years, and each year we end up winning the division.
Quote:
That's 2 playoff teams that I think the Lions will be better than this year coming up.

That all depends on if your QB actually plays up to potential. Besides, with the draft still to occur, how can you say who will be better than who in the upcoming year? Packers have several 1st day draft picks, and MN has a TON of money under the cap. Not to mention a chicago team that is gonna keep on getting better. I think this division is actually gonna be pretty close, too close to call at this point.

February 16th, 2005, 10:50 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

hey nitschke, do you really think that Rex Grossman is the man to lead the bears back to the super bowl suffle? I think the bears will stink again next year. Jones wasn't consitant enough, and they traded their good WR last year.just my opinion.

February 17th, 2005, 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

hey nitschke, do you really think that Rex Grossman is the man to lead the bears back to the super bowl suffle? I think the bears will stink again next year. Jones wasn't consitant enough, and they traded their good WR last year.just my opinion.

i said they are gonna keep getting better, simply because i think they can't get any worse! :lol: Actually, no, i don't think Grossman is that good of a qb, but he does a decent job of running the offense. They made a HUGE mistake in trading for the DE last year. Jones isn't that good, but if they can draft a WR ( i have heard Mike Williams possibly), it will open holes for him. Jones is more of a recieving RB than a pure RB. That OL is horrible too. Seriously, i would take the Badgers/ Wolverines starting Front 5 against the bears. They have a lot of improvement needed on the offensive side of the ball, but i think that D can carry them to a .500 record. But hey, what the hell do i know?

February 17th, 2005, 3:32 pm
Site Admin

The bottom line is it is pretty realistic...I am just hoping to be one of those teams that the rest of the league is like "where the hell did they come from?". Remember when the Patroits sucked?

February 17th, 2005, 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am just hoping to be one of those teams that the rest of the league is like "where the hell did they come from?". Remember when the Patroits sucked?

Now that'd be sweet.

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 17th, 2005, 5:25 pm
QB Coach

Jones seemed to have his way against the Lions in both outings. I think that he is fine as a RB. They just didn't give him the ball all that much in some games, and it really hampered his statistics. In the games they fed him 20+ times, he was great.

February 21st, 2005, 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]