View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Draft rant 
QB Coach

Post Draft rant
Looking over this draft class, and where the Lions are situated in the draft, the only realistic option they have at #10 is to take a defensive end. Erasmus James, David Pollack, and Marcus Spears are the top 3 in this draft.

I don't believe that Thomas Davis or Heath Miller are even close to the #10 pick. They are in the 17-20 range, IMO. Trading down for them would be fine, but you have to find a partner. Also, they may not be great fits for our offense. Davis is more of an OLB, he needs to run under a 4.6 to prove to me that he can play safety in the NFL. Actually, Miller is a solid fit for this offense, where his blocking can be utilized, as well as his red-zone threat. I don't know if he can stretch the field though.

Anyways, I need to continue this rant... I really think that an impact veteran would be a better option than a rookie. Let's face it. This draft is poor. Especially near the top. Aaron Rodgers would be a mid-first rounder in an average draft, and he is a top 3 pick this year. I just don't think that any rookie we draft defensively is going to have that great of an impact on our team, whereas a veteran would.

Donovin Darius has been the name mentioned most frequently this off-season. If he indeed gets franchised, we should really consider trading our 1st and 2nd rounder for Darius and Jacksonville's 1st rounder. I don't know if they would feel that they are getting great value for him, but wasn't there a rumor last season about Darius and the 9th for our 6th?

Anyways, that's what I would love to see done. Then with that first round pick, take Heath Miller. He will have a better impact than any defensive end, or Thomas Davis. I'm sick of our offensive system, the 3 yard passes on third and nine, the dropped touchdowns by our tight end, the receivers failing to give Joey a reliable target, the inconsistency. Make this move on draft day, re-sign Raiola and McDougle, sign Garcia and Rivera, then I believe the Lions will win the NFC North.

Hey, i'm living in a dream world here. We are most likely going to sign Garcia, let McDougle walk, re-sign Raiola, draft a defensive end, and sign a second-tier guard. But hey, I needed to blow off some steam. This was nice

8)

February 16th, 2005, 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Draft rant
Brian wrote:
I don't believe that Thomas Davis or Heath Miller are even close to the #10 pick. They are in the 17-20 range, IMO. Trading down for them would be fine, but you have to find a partner. Also, they may not be great fits for our offense. Davis is more of an OLB, he needs to run under a 4.6 to prove to me that he can play safety in the NFL. Actually, Miller is a solid fit for this offense, where his blocking can be utilized, as well as his red-zone threat. I don't know if he can stretch the field though.

Brain I saw Miller play aginst North Carolinia at Charloteville I think it was his sophmore year he had an awsome 52 yard touchdown catch. he caught the ball about ten yards from the line of scrimage but he turned on the jets to get in the endzone. Your right though he doesnt have much break away speed for the NFL. But, the guy has the best hands in the draft and is a good blocker as well.

BTW i am glad to Lionsbacker web site giving UVA so much love. You guys had Miller one week and Elton Brown another. WAHOOOS

February 17th, 2005, 9:49 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Draft rant
Brian wrote:
Looking over this draft class, and where the Lions are situated in the draft, the only realistic option they have at #10 is to take a defensive end. Erasmus James, David Pollack, and Marcus Spears are the top 3 in this draft.

A lot of mock drafts have the Lions ending up with one of the defensive ends. As I was putting together the FA article this weekend and looking at the DE position I was wondering why. The Lions already have four DE's under contract this season:

James Hall, Cory Redding, Jared DeVries and Kalimba Edwards

I don't see them carrying more than four. I don't see the Lions carrying 5 DEs, unless they plan to move Redding to tackle (which he played some his rookie year).

I agree with your thoughts in your rant Brian.

February 21st, 2005, 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

February 21st, 2005, 10:52 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

The thing I hate about what I see out of others mock drafts, and when they have us taking a DE, is their reasoning. It's always "They need someone to replace Porcher", or "Cory Redding isn't good". No, the real reason we may take a DE, is because only James Hall is under contract through 2006. Edwards, Redding, and DeVries all become free agents next season, although Redding is restricted. So if we were to take a DE, it would be a value pick, for the future, that isn't a need, rather a want.

We need to remember that Jauron doesn't blitz at all. He just rushes the front 4, and only the front 4. That's why it's essential that we get a solid front 4 like the Panthers of 03-04 had. Redding isn't going to get more than 6 sacks in a season ever, but will stop the run. That's why drafting someone like Erasmus James or David Pollack at #10 would be beneficial.

Now, I don't agree with the move, and I wouldn't do it, but if we are indeed stuck at #10, it's probably what is going to happen. I don't see us taking a corner with Bly and Bryant already at that position for a long time. The only real possibilities are one of the ends, or an absolute stretch for Thomas Davis, who is more of an OLB, or a stretch for Heath Miller.

February 21st, 2005, 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I agree with Brian that drafting a DE is more of a want than a necessity since we already have 4 under contract.

However, due to the fact that our pass rush comes from only the line, we need a ferocious line. I don't see that ferocity in Edwards, Devries, or Redding. I just don't see them as starters...for what a dominant pass rush.

Plus, since our CBs were injured for most of the season, and our safeties are old and inadequate, we couldn't afford to blitz and bring out LBs. If we get a solid safety who can pack a punch, we may see some more blitzing. Does anyone think Jauron will have the backfield bliltz more if we get a dominant safety, or will he only bring the front four?

February 22nd, 2005, 9:01 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

My feeling has been that Millen is going to draft a DE. But all the current guys seem resemble the guys we all ready got. No complete DE is available in this draft. Why would you draft a pure pass rusher when you already have Edwards or run stopper when you have Redding.

One position everybody seems to be forgetting with the Lions is offensive line. McDougle is a free-agent and I don?t see how he?s coming back and LG is still a problem. Drafting Brown or Barron makes sense also.

February 22nd, 2005, 5:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

One position everybody seems to be forgetting with the Lions is offensive line. McDougle is a free-agent and I don?t see how he?s coming back and LG is still a problem. Drafting Brown or Barron makes sense also.

I haven't forgotten about that. I think if Brown or Barron are available it'd be stupid of us to not get one of them.

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 22nd, 2005, 6:23 pm
Bubbles the Lion

The best case scenerio would be the same as last year, where they trade down 5-10 spots and pick up H. Miller and an additonal 2nd rounder. They could then get value for these 2nd rounder picks by drafting a safety and an OL (Shazor and Baas?). Hard to say who will be there.

If that doesn't play out, I believe they have progressed enough in the last couple of years to take the proverbial "Best Available Player". The only exceptions being a RB, QB, TE, or Safety (no value at #10 for the last two). Unfortunately, two of their more pressing needs are at TE and Safety. These are two postitions, however, that traditional NFL dogma says you don't pick that high in the first round unless it's a special player--aka. K. Winslow.

February 22nd, 2005, 7:05 pm
RIP Killer

I agree Fekko. I think trading down and taking Miller would be the best bet, assuming another team would want to trade up. So who would be likely to trade up and give us their spot (16-23 roughly) and a 2nd rounder???

I don't like taking OL that high, like a safety or tight end. I think you get a bigger impact player who will be worth more in the long run.

February 22nd, 2005, 8:06 pm
NFL Veteran

About this whole analysis thing on two of the safeties. I think there is no question that Thomas Davis and Earnest Shazor are the two top safeties in the draft. However what I don't get is the whole entire round of picking distance between them. How is Davis a first rounder and Shazor a second rounder? They are exact clones in body type, speed, and style of play. Big hard hitters, with some questions about coverage skills? Obviously Someone is overrated, or someone is underrated. I think it's both. Davis is a late first rounder not an early first rounder and Shazor is a late first rounder not an early 2nd rounder. I still hope Shazor is unjustly underrated, that way we can still snag him in round 2 but I think the scouts will come to their senses eventually.

Also, I hate our pick. We aren't guaranteed optimum value like last year. Picking at six we were assured of a top 3 player no matter who fell to us. This year, it's hold your breath and pray that either DJ or AR fall otherwise using the 10 pick on someone else would be a waste in one way or another. And who's going to want to trade up with us when your left with nothing but top 20 players at the 10 spot?

Let's see.

1. Aaron Rogers
2. Alex Smith
3. Mike Williams
4. Braylon Edwards
5. Antrel Rolle
6. Derrick Johnson
7. Cadillac Williams
8. Ronnie Brown
9. Cedric Benson
10. Erasmus James
11. Shawne Merriman

Okay, so we're guaranteed at least a choice between two from this list. This is not a ranking or a draft board, it's just a list of players I see worth using a 10 pick on. But! But what if they are a pair of receivers? Or a pair of RB's? Or a RB and a WR? Or god forbid a QB?

If Erasmus James, Shawne Merriman, Derrick Johnson or Antrel Rolle don't fall to us at 10? It's almost imperative that we trade down? Granted there may be a player like Mike WIlliams that teams would give the world for to take him, but it's just as likely that teams will scoff at a trade.

Sorry guys, Heath Miller ain't no 10 spot TE either. Barron may be on the bubble. Pacman too. I don't know. It sucks to be us.

February 24th, 2005, 6:43 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I agree on the most part, however, I can't see M&M taking Johnson or Rolle at #10. If a stud like that fell, I could only imagine a trade foregoing. The only thing I think Millen and crew would do is take a DE or a stud OT (Barnes has been cruising up the board lately and Barron is a stud as well). Then again, Millen likes to surprise on draft day, so he probably would take DJ at #10 and move Teddy inside. Who knows?

I would not like to see an OT taken at ten, I would prefer a trade down, grab Heath around 18, and get a good safety (or DE) and OG in #2 with an additional #2 pick. The 10 spot is weak.

Anyone think the Vikes might want to trade up with us for their 18 spot and 2nd round since they now have the #7 spot and an additional 5th rounder?

February 24th, 2005, 8:42 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I thought Teddy wasn't supposed to play inside.

My money's on trading down or drafting the best Dend at our spot.

February 24th, 2005, 9:24 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

If a stud like that fell, I could only imagine a trade foregoing.

if and only if we get the trade value. Which is basically something along the lines of what happened last year. Someone better damn well trade the farm for one of these players.

So with DJ or Rolle falling to us, that would be the perfect scenario. Wait for the sweetheart trade offers, or just take the players if nothing materializes. It's much better than having neither and being on the desperate side of the deal, wanting to trade down, but not being able to unless you are willing to give up more than what the pick is worth.

February 25th, 2005, 12:54 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

In all likelihood the Lions will have a trading partner during the draft, and here's the most likely teams to do so based on player availability (not necessarily in the order of probability):

San Diego-may want to jump over Dallas to be able to take either Mike Williams or Marcus Spears if they are available. Dallas would jump all over either one if they get past Detroit.

Carolina-If Derrick Johnson miraculously gets past the first nine selections I would expect the Panthers to start making phone calls to Millen. However, I feel the Panthers will already have a deal in place with either Arizona or Washington.

Kansas City-another team that may want to jump ahead of Dallas, but for other reasons. The Cowboys need a cover corner to play opposite Newman. If Pac-man or Rolle are there at number 10, the Chiefs may be willing to negotiate a deal and return the 5th rounder they took from us last year, plus an additional higher pick. They would also be drooling if either Williams or Braylon Edwards fell that far. They also need a DE now that they've released Vonnie Holliday.

Cincinnati-may want to move up to get an impact DE, ahead of the Cowboys, Chiefs and Chargers.

Rams-highly unlikely, but they may want to move up to get the top CB on their big board if he is available at #10.

Jacksonville-a deal involving Donovan Darius is still a distinct possibility. A swap of first rounders, Darius and an additional pick from the Jags would be a feather in Millens draft cap.

Should one of the top running backs fall to the tenth spot the Lions could get some interest. If the Lions choose to keep their tenth pick they should do the right thing and take the best player available regardless of needs. I agree with the idea that neither Miller nor Davis are of value with the tenth pick. Even though we really don't need a receiver or linebacker, it would be tough to pass up Derrick Johnson or Mike Williams. Now that the Vikes have the seventh pick it will be tough for them to pass on either one. Much will depend on the 40 times of Edwards and Williams. If either rips off a 4.4, watch Minnesota try to make a deal with Cleveland for the 3rd overall pick. Detroit has to make sure they don't waste their pick!

What I'm trying to say is...........anything can happen :!:

February 25th, 2005, 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next