View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 CLEVELAND (AP) - Quarterback Jeff Garcia was released Monday 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Brees has been franchised, Warner needs to go home and leave the league. Same with Vinny. You are right though. It would be typical of our beloved organization to make a mistake like vinny or kurt. IMO Hasselbeck will stay in Seattle, but you never know. We don't ahve a shot at him if he doesn't get resigned.

February 16th, 2005, 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

#1. Not EVERYONE wants a vet some people just want a quality QB as a backup or a starter (what happened to your love affair with Jim McMahon)?
#2. Making excuses for why we can't get Kitna or Garcia is a losers attitiude, if I remember correctly last year the arguement was whether or not to take Roy Williams or Kevin Jones first...and we got em both!
#3. You say Garcia has proven to be good...how many years ago was that (and throwing to TO) YET you say Warner is washed up and he was good a few years ago (and he won a superbowl)...which is it washed up or waiting to "return to his glory days"?
#4. AND liking the return to the 49ers days...you have to be kidding me, this team was in a nose dive and we are going to run out and pick up the pieces? We are a young, energetic team with a winning future and so I believe that only 1 free agent QB fits this bill...
That's right Jesse Palmer! We already have Bachelor Bob why not recruit all the bachelors to Detroit!
#5. Oh year and the most important reason why I don't agree with alpha male...he is my little sister...

February 16th, 2005, 9:33 am
Site Admin

I can not DISagree with Alpha Male more!
#1. Not EVERYONE wants a vet some people just want a quality QB as a backup or a starter (what happened to your love affair with Jim McMahon)?

How do you acquire a quality backup without them being a vet? I always liked Jim McMahon and his zainy headbands tis true...and if you would have kept up I still like (Mike) McMahon but it is unlikely he will be kept.

Aaron wrote:
#2. Making excuses for why we can't get Kitna or Garcia is a losers attitiude, if I remember correctly last year the arguement was whether or not to take Roy Williams or Kevin Jones first...and we got em both!

I have no idea who you are addressing here...but if Kitna has been resigned and someone said we cannot get him because that I guess that makes us all losers lol. As far as the Roy and Kevin Jones deal...I am sure you were the one working the phones to get that deal done lol. So are you suggesting we get both Kitna and Garcia with a winning attitude rotfl :lol:

Aaron wrote:
#3. You say Garcia has proven to be good...how many years ago was that (and throwing to TO) YET you say Warner is washed up and he was good a few years ago (and he won a superbowl)...which is it washed up or waiting to "return to his glory days"?

In his 6 years Garcia has always been more accurate than Joey even in Jeffs worst year vs Joeys best. Give me Issac Bruce, Tory Holt, Az Akim, Ricky Proel, Marshal Faulk and I will score ya some TDs. You are arguing the point of Garcia vs Warner and yet use TO as a reason for Garcias success when I would say that Warner is a much worse case of being good because of the people around him. Trent Green was good there, Kurt was good there, and Bulger is good there. Its like the Denver RBs...they are always 1000+ yrd guys until they leave.

Aaron wrote:
#4. AND liking the return to the 49ers days...you have to be kidding me, this team was in a nose dive and we are going to run out and pick up the pieces? We are a young, energetic team with a winning future and so I believe that only 1 free agent QB fits this bill...
That's right Jesse Palmer! We already have Bachelor Bob why not recruit all the bachelors to Detroit!

6-10 is not quite a winning future. If you are satisfied with the current team then fine but they need to improve to win.

Aaron wrote:
#5. Oh year and the most important reason why I don't agree with alpha male...he is my little sister...

Look Aaron...rip on me all you want but until you can start taking care of yourself then I would be quiet...

February 16th, 2005, 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

i just do not get the love affair with "veteran backup" as the answer...it just seems that a good portion of the posters forget that Tom Brady is the only QB who is winning Superbowls and that he has a whopping 5 years in the league...the QB, though important, is not the end all be all of the team

February 16th, 2005, 11:59 pm
QB Coach

How do you acquire a quality backup without them being a vet?

Simple... you use a high draft pick on a player. They aren't good enough right away to become the starter, so they are a quality backup. See Carson Palmer of 2003, or J.P. Losman of 2004. Both quality players, just backups in their respective seasons.

February 21st, 2005, 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Like I said...if not Garcia or Griese I would rather have a cheap McMike.

February 21st, 2005, 10:30 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

from what I'm hearing today, the negotiations between Griese and the Bucs are not going well. There appears to be a strong possibility that Brian could be released by the end of the week. If that happens, the Bucs become players in the Garcia sweepstakes.

February 22nd, 2005, 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

from what I'm hearing today, the negotiations between Griese and the Bucs are not going well. There appears to be a strong possibility that Brian could be released by the end of the week. If that happens, the Bucs become players in the Garcia sweepstakes.

and we become players in the Griese sweepstakes 8)

February 22nd, 2005, 10:29 am
Site Admin

Garcia "to be officially released by the Cleveland Browns at 4 this afternoon".

hmmm...we will surely hear if he makes a stop in Allen Park soon.

February 22nd, 2005, 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Regardless of what QB they sign in as a FA, I think the need to draft a backup in the 3rd (K. Orton?) or 4th (Derek Anderson) Round. Call me crazy, but I think you can never have enough quality QB's--just ask the Rams.

February 22nd, 2005, 7:40 pm
NFL Veteran

You know I don't really care. Intially I've had the same aversion to these options as much as everyone else. Garcia? Bleh. Warner? Double Bleh. Even Griese hasn't exactly been lighting it up. I still have his Miami season etched into mind. How do you lose to Feeley?

The only ones I could be happy with just coming in and being handed the job were Brees and Hasselback... and that is well just not going to happen. Which is fine. Brees can still be a one hit wonder in the end.

Anyway, like I said I don't care. Ideally I hope the lights turn on upstairs for Joey, but I'm not putting all the eggs in his basket. It's just that so much has been invested in him. You feel much better about getting some returns in your investments.

At any rate, I think it's great that we can bring in a vet. It's about time they bring someone whose been there done that successfully. Competition is good. Look what it did for Brees. The fact that Warner and Garcia had bad seasons makes for a good thing. They'll obviously come cheaper than had they been more successful. Of course it becomes more of a gamble.

Finally, this is how I would like it to play out. I would like one of these old fogies to come in and give Joey a run for his money. I would like Joey to step up and win the job hands down. I would like the team to be reasonably healthy so we can have the full gambit of weapons and truly judge Harrington based on how this team was constructed. I would like Harrington to 'get it,' and take this long overdue team to the superbowl. Of course, we can fall flat on our faces again, but this time around we'll have more of a backup plan.

Thanks

February 23rd, 2005, 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Good post Blue...I see your point about all these guys. None of them are going to be barn burners I suppose but I think many people more than anything want to see how Joey stacks up like myself. I have dogged him but I would like to see if another QB with a good background performs that much better. It is almost a good step at this point to see if Joey can be the guy. I don't think any of these guys (FAs) are the long term solution anyways unless it's Griese or any of these guys like Garcia have a revival of Gannonesque proportions.

February 23rd, 2005, 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

/sry, couldn't resist :lol:

February 23rd, 2005, 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2