View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 8:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Hasselbeck gets a long-term deal 
RIP Killer

Post Hasselbeck gets a long-term deal
I was kind of surprised by this move since Seattle just signed Walter Jones to a long-term deal. Hasselbeck gets the long-term deal while Alexander gets franchised.

News
Seahawks' quarterback Matt Hasselbeck agreed to a long-term deal on Monday night, according to the Seattle Times. Hasselbeck is expected to sign the contract before 1 p.m. (EST) on Tuesday when teams must name their franchise players. Once Hasselbeck signs his deal, the Seahawks are expected to place the franchise tag on running back Shaun Alexander, who would be offered a one-year contract tender worth $6.32 million. Terms of Hasselbeck's contract have not been released.

Views
Alexander probably won't take this news very well and might stage a holdout. Assuming the Seahawks don't name him an exclusive franchise player, he will be free to negotiate with other teams. However, any team that signs Alexander would be forced to give the Seahawks a pair of first-round draft picks as compensation.

February 22nd, 2005, 1:15 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Hasselbeck gets a long-term deal
conversion02 wrote:
I was kind of surprised by this move since Seattle just signed Walter Jones to a long-term deal. Hasselbeck gets the long-term deal while Alexander gets franchised.

Not very surprising since Hasselbeck wanted to stay in Seattle long-term while Alexander did not. The Seahawks strategy of signing Jones and Hassy to long-term deals in order to franchise Alexander was smart.

However, there is no guarentee that Shaun will report to camp next year - he is not very happy about this. The Seahawks also have a ton of other FAs they need to address.

February 22nd, 2005, 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!

Gosh, there goes my hope in Shaun Alexander becoming a Cardinal...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/nfl/news/ABN3764788.htm

You know, there really aren't that many running backs in free agency now. James and Alexander being franchised... there aren't any starting caliber runningbacks that are free agents besides LaMont Jordan, and he has been a career backup.

February 22nd, 2005, 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I was thinking they would sign Alexander and franchise Hasselbeck. I think Alexander is a better player and would be more beneficial to sign. But then again, there are quality backs in FA as well as in the draft. It'd be much more difficult to find a quality starting QB in FA or the draft that can have the same impact as Hasselbeck than it would to find an impact back.

February 22nd, 2005, 1:55 pm
QB Coach

The thing is though, conversion, Alexander doesn't want to sign a long term deal, and doesn't want to stay in Seattle.

February 22nd, 2005, 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

There are a couple decent running backs in FA, such as Najeh Davenport and Jesse Chattman. Neither of these guys are an elite back like James or Alexander, but I think they are quality backs and could serve useful for teams with a weak ground game, or teams that would like a good third down type back. But yeah, I didn't really look at the list before my last post, the FA crop of running backs is rather weak.

February 22nd, 2005, 2:10 pm
QB Coach

I believe that both Davenport and Chatman are restricted free agents, meaning that dependent on how high the Packers and Chargers tender them, a team would have to give up a draft pick to get them, just like the Lions and McMahon last season.

February 22nd, 2005, 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]