View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Darius tagged by Jags 
RIP Killer

Post Darius tagged by Jags
For the third straight year, the Jaguars have placed their franchise tag on safety Donovin Darius. Jaguars senior vice president Paul Vance announced the move Tuesday, meaning Darius will get a one-year deal worth $4.97 million. A source close to Darius told the Florida Times-Union the safety will sign the tender shortly.

:cry:

February 22nd, 2005, 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

You know Pablo, you are great at pissing me off!

:evil:

http://www.jaguars.com/story/4217.asp

February 22nd, 2005, 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Is there a limit to how many times a player can be tagged???

February 22nd, 2005, 2:15 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo, do you think the Lions will go after Kenoy Kennedy from Denver, Dwight Smith from TB, or Sammy Knight from Miami since they are probably the next best safeties in FA? Or would you take a gamble in the draft?

I think Dwight Smith would be good since he isn't too old, has 4 years experience, and did a good job shutting down Crumpler and Gates.

February 22nd, 2005, 2:27 pm
QB Coach

Is there a limit to how many times a player can be tagged???

No, there isn't.

conversion02 wrote:
Pablo, do you think the Lions will go after Kenoy Kennedy from Denver, Dwight Smith from TB, or Sammy Knight from Miami since they are probably the next best safeties in FA? Or would you take a gamble in the draft?

Not directed towards me, but I have a good feeling that given the safety crop in this draft, and the fact that there aren't any sure-fire first rounders in the group, that the Lions will likely pick up a safety in free agency.

February 22nd, 2005, 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

February 22nd, 2005, 2:47 pm
RIP Killer

I agree with what Brian said, looking at the prospects in the draft I think the Lions will look to FA to address the position. Anyone of the guys you mentioned could be targets, I haven't put too much thought into safties after Darius at this point because I knew the Lions had a lot of interest in him.

Brian - didn't mean to piss you off, just giving the facts my man! :lol:

February 22nd, 2005, 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

:(

NEVER GIVE UP!

February 22nd, 2005, 5:24 pm
Site Admin

February 22nd, 2005, 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I see Rolle is gonna be a cap cut in Tennessee does he still have it?
Or am I just remembering his name as being good because of the team he played on being in the playoffs year after year?

February 23rd, 2005, 8:35 am
RIP Killer

Darius getting tagged just means that Jax isn't willing to lose him without getting something in return. Can't say I blame them. However, the report about him rushing to sign the tender is a surprise. Given his age I would think he would want a long term deal. That's what he's been raising such a stink about the past years. Maybe the Jags have a deal in the works to trade him? Hopefully it's with the Lions. :D
Remember that Washington tagged Champ just before trading him to Denver. It would surprise me if DD stayed with Jacksonville after being critical of them in the past in regards to how they've handled his contract situation.

February 24th, 2005, 5:32 pm
NFL Veteran

That's just great. sigh. I was hoping Darius would come since that would obviously help with flexibility in the draft and allowing the lions to turn their attention to filling other holes via FA.

Because, I'm sorry, I'm just not high on any of the other safeties in FA. I'd prefer to get one in the draft. Granted, It's a deep class, but there sure as hell are a lot of teams that need safeties, me thinks.

God I hope you're right m2karateman. But what are we willing to give? If we give up our first rounder I won't be too happy. 2nd rounder, maybe that would be my best offer.

Ah this offseason is starting to irritate me more and more!

February 25th, 2005, 1:13 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

There are other safeties in FA that would be an upgrade for us, but I agree that I'd rather get Darius. He is the only true impact style player that is available. I think the draft has some talent, but they need to develop and it's time the Lions stop their 50 year rebuilding plan and start winning more consistently. As for making a trade with Jacksonville, the Lions could switch first round positions with the Jags, plus expect a third rounder this year and another pick in 2006. The Jaguars want a defensive end, and would probably prefer their pick of the litter. They won't have that opportunity at #21, but they will at #10.

Read the article 'To trade or not to trade', where I've outlined the scenario about making a deal with Jacksonville involving DD.

February 25th, 2005, 8:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]