View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 12:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Randy Moss traded to Raiders 
RIP Killer

Post Randy Moss traded to Raiders
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1998159

ESPN is reporting that Moss is out of the NFCN and heading to Oakland. The St. Paul Pioneer Press is reporting that the Vikings receive LB Napoleon Harris, the 7th-overall draft pick this year and a late round draft pick this year as well.

The deal cannot go through until March 2.

I can't believe the Vikes would make this trade! :shock:

Nate Burleson becomes the Vikings top WR at this point - ouch! :twisted:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the St. Paul Pioneer Press report:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincitie ... 946.htm?1c

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

The Vikings have agreed to trade Randy Moss to the Oakland Raiders for starting linebacker Napoleon Harris, the seventh overall pick in the upcoming draft and a 2005 late-round pick. Trades can be worked out although not announced until next month, and Moss' agent, Dante DiTrapano, told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday that the deal is done.

"Nothing is official until March 2," DiTrapano said. "But don?t be surprised if Randy Moss is wearing the Silver and Black this upcoming season."

Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski would only say, "We've had some discussions with them (the Raiders), but there is nothing to announce."

Despite repeated denials, the Vikings have been shopping Moss for months, and they found a willing suitor in Al Davis, a maverick owner who embraces controversial players.

"In speaking with Moss, although he has a lot of ties to Minnesota and did not particularly want to be traded, he?s very excited with the possibility of playing for Al Davis and being a part of the Raider tradition," DiTrapano said. "The Raiders have vowed to use Randy?s talents the way they should be used, and that?s to throw the ball vertically down the field.

"Randy?s desire to win a Super Bowl is enhanced with a move to a team like the Raiders, because the Minnesota Vikings seem to be in a constant rebuilding mode."

The Vikings will wind up with the seventh overall pick for the third time in the last four years. In 2002, they drafted left tackle Bryant McKinnie, a starter. Two years ago, they had the seventh pick but a botched trade with Baltimore resulted in them picking two spots later. Still, they landed the player they coveted, defensive tackle Kevin Williams, who has emerged into a Pro Bowl player.

The Vikings have the 18th pick in this year?s draft.

With the departure of Moss, the Vikings' top receiver is third-year receiver Nate Burleson. But the Vikings are expected to bolster that group via the draft or free agency. With a weak free agent class headlined by Pittsburgh's Plaxico Burress, the Vikings? options could increase with potential salary cap casualties such as Isaac Bruce, Muhsin Muhammad and Derrick Mason.

The NFL Draft in April also offers two promising players, Michigan's Braylon Edwards and Southern Cal's Mike Williams.

Harris was selected by the Raiders with the 23rd pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, and he has recorded 249 tackles, 2.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, and five passes defended over the past three seasons. He is 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, and he can play inside and outside.

The Raiders will assume Moss? $7.25 million base salary for next season while the Vikings realize a cap savings of nearly $2 million. Four seasons remain on Moss? eight-year $75 million contract.

February 23rd, 2005, 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

February 23rd, 2005, 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think it's great we don't have to see any more Moss, but I think it's stupid on the Raiders part. They could get a definite impact player, decent depth at another position and trading a starting LB for Moss? Not worth it in my opinion, but then again, I would rather never see Randy again. Thanks for taking him out of our division Chokeland.

February 23rd, 2005, 11:47 pm
RIP Killer

In that case, does Minn take a start wideout at #7, or Johnson since they definately need help at OLB? Losing their go to WR doesn't give them much to work with...and they already need the D help, so what do they do?

February 23rd, 2005, 11:49 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think they must beleive that either Braylon Edwards or Mike williams or both will be available at the #7pick. They would have to get some help for Culpepper in the draft.

February 24th, 2005, 8:33 am

I think this trade is good for both teams. The Vikes will have two first round picks and get two quailty players. They also have the largest cap at 30 million so next year when Moss takes a 9 million hit they will have penlty of room to work with. I think Moss is going to be happier in Oakland. He want have Culpepper to clash with. His Ego will be the biggest. Heck he might get motivated this offseaon with this change. Oakland with the 7th pick gets the most talnted WR ever. All this trade can do for Oakland is help it sure cant hurt them. I think it was a win win trade.

February 24th, 2005, 10:02 am
RIP Killer

Oakland's passing offense was decent last season (minus the 22 picks thrown) but it was their rushing that was abyssmal. Dead last in total rushing yards. Less than 1300 rushing yards from SIX backs...they need a franchise back more than anything.

I think it would have been better for them to take a stud RB at #7 rather than Moss. Plus, losing a starting LB can't help when their defense is ranked 30th. Even with Moss, the Raiders will suck.

I do agree that Moss will be much happier in the Black 'n Silver and will shine.

February 24th, 2005, 10:15 am
NFL Veteran

Actually, the past couple years, I didn't think Moss played all that spectacularly against the Lions. He did, maybe free up Burleson, but that's pretty much it.

What does bug me is we now have them picking before us instead of the Raiders.

I'm pretty much targeting:

1. Derrick Johnson
2. Antrel Rolle
3. Erasmus James
4. Shawne Merriman

in that order (for now). I suppose there is an increased likelihood that Vikings take DJ off the board more so than the Raiders. Anyway, here's to hopng they use the pick on Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards. Or do something stupid like not turn the pick in time again.

February 25th, 2005, 1:04 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

Post Moss
Moss being gone is huge for the Lions but I think the Vikes could benefit from this. Suddenly our safeties seem a bit more adequate.
Like others have said though they could become a better team without him.
They have plenty of room to add Mason or Burress, I think Burress fits Culpepper's style well. If they could get Edwards or Williams at #7 I think they will too. They could pick up a solid CB later in the 1st round like Carlos Rogers or Marlin Jackson to pair with Winfield. 2nd rounder could probably go with a safety or O-line depending on how they patch things up with FAs. O-Line killed them this year with their awful RT (Goldberg?)and with Birk being injured. They could definitely fill some of weak links and still keep WR as a strength.

Anyone out their like Kevin Johnson as a potential Lions #3 WR. He's got sure hands, could mix in well with Williams and C. Rogers big play ability? I've been thinking about the Lions trading out of this years first round for a 1st rounder next year and an additional 2nd and 4-5th rounder this year. Could be better high end talent for us next year with some nice Tackles and a great LB in Ahmad Brooks (better for the NFL than DJ in my opinion). Plus if we are going to give Harrington another shot this year, could grab a 1st rd QB next year if need be? Might still have a shot at a good safety in rounds 2-3, and could get a decent o-Line prospect with the extra pick this year.

February 25th, 2005, 1:33 am
QB Coach

Oakland's cap space is pretty much done with this deal. They don't have the 7th pick for a running back, nor the money to afford a quality one. They also need to fix their defense, and now they don't have the money or picks to do so.

Minnesota didn't get hardly enough for Moss. Napolean Harris? This guy is a dissapointment. The 7th pick will certainly land an impact player though. Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards, Antrel Rolle, Pac-Man Jones, and Derrick Johnson are all possibilities. But I doubt that player is as good as Randy Moss.

It was a lose-lose scenario, that benefited the rest of the league.

February 25th, 2005, 2:08 am
Profile WWW

With Moss Oakland running game should open up. Norv Turner is a good offensive corrdnatior he will make the running game work with a deep threat. Moss forces safties to play deep and not come up on the run. The only thing I cant see is Justin Fargous being the starter. The Vikes are going to turn to run a team. I dont see them tradeing a WR to get a WR. I see them drafting Defense. Rember they have more cap room this year than any other team. They can make some moves if they want too. I still belive it was a good deal for both teams. The Radiers are going to suck this year with or with out Moss. At least with Moss they have 2 big time WR in Porter and Moss.

February 25th, 2005, 9:49 am

Oaklands running game is about to get better. They are going to sign Lamont Jordan

March 3rd, 2005, 12:36 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Oaklands running game is about to get better. They are going to sign Lamont Jordan

I read that too.

NEVER GIVE UP!

March 3rd, 2005, 2:41 pm
RIP Killer

How does Oakland have the cap space to re-sign Porter, sign Moss and Jordan, and still look to make an even bigger splash in FA? Any idea of how much more they can do?

March 3rd, 2005, 4:20 pm
Site Admin

March 3rd, 2005, 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next