View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 8:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Packers cap trouble 
RIP Killer

Post Packers cap trouble
Bored and figured I'd post this. Common knowledge, but here's some numbers to boot.

I was doing some looking at how much Marco Rivera would cost us and I realized how screwed the Packers really are. Whale alone costs them $11 Mil against the cap this year and that would only put them slightly under the cap. Plus they have quite a few other UFAs and RFAs. I still think Favre should retire, even if it does mean giving the Pack almost $12 Mil back towards the cap. If this were to happen, they're almost for sure re-sign Rivera and still release Whale.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/feb05/303999.asp

February 23rd, 2005, 9:57 am
RIP Killer

Our resident Pack expert, nitsckeisgod, posted on the Wahle/Rivera subject a few weeks ago.

nitschkeisgod wrote:
Brian wrote:
Yeah, i'm thinking that they get Wahle back, and let Rivera go. Release and re-sign.

It would be the smarter thing to do, wahle is several years younger than rivera, and most packer fans think wahle is actually the better G, and he was a major snub by having rivera go to the Pro bowl instead of wahle.

As for Favre, at this point I don't see him retiring now. Brett has always told the owner and GM that he will not retire if it means leaving Green Bay in a bind. That means he would retire with more notice (well before FA and the draft) so the Pack can plan for it. With FA "officially" a week away, Brett is obviously staying at this point IMO.

February 23rd, 2005, 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Who knows? Maybe he went to the Barry Sanders seminar on retirement :lol:

February 23rd, 2005, 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Who knows? Maybe he went to the Barry Sanders seminar on retirement :lol:

lol

February 23rd, 2005, 12:48 pm
Stadium Announcer

Brett has always told the owner and GM that he will not retire if it means leaving Green Bay in a bind.

Do you mean the President/CEO? Cuz we don't have an owner (da pack is a publicly owned team).

February 24th, 2005, 12:28 pm
Stadium Announcer

Whale alone costs them $11 Mil against the cap this year and that would only put them slightly under the cap

That's why the packers are looking to trade/cut Sharper. If they cut him, they save 4.5 million this year. If they trade him, they save all 8.5 million this year. However, there is always the option of him restructuring his deal(not likely though.) So if the packers trade both Wahle and Sharper, they will save almost $20 million. Will that happen? Hell i donno, i am just a fan.

February 24th, 2005, 12:35 pm
QB Coach

Quote:
Whale alone costs them $11 Mil against the cap this year and that would only put them slightly under the cap

That's why the packers are looking to trade/cut Sharper. If they cut him, they save 4.5 million this year. If they trade him, they save all 8.5 million this year. However, there is always the option of him restructuring his deal(not likely though.) So if the packers trade both Wahle and Sharper, they will save almost $20 million. Will that happen? Hell i donno, i am just a fan.

You've got to remember, that if you trade them, that means the team that gets them is willing to take on their contracts.

If the Pack doesn't want them for that price, then other teams probably won't either.

February 25th, 2005, 1:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]