View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Lions after Mason 
RIP Killer

Post Lions after Mason
Thought this was interesting as I didn't know the Lions were targeting Muhammad either...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=f ... &type=lgns

Lions: Muhammad was targeted, Mason next

News
The Lions were a surprising player for the services of wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad before he signed with the Bears. The Chicago Tribune reports that the Lions were among the teams that made an attempt to sign the Pro Bowl receiver. With Muhammad off the market, the Lions have shifted their focus toward Derrick Mason.

Views
The interest in top free agent wide receivers is proof that Lions' officials have lost faith in wide receiver Charles Rogers, whose broken collarbone has forced him to miss all but six games since he was selected with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2003 draft. Of course, what Lions' officials fail to acknowledge is that their real problem is quarterback Joey Harrington, who has been a flop since he was selected in the first-round of the 2002 draft.

March 1st, 2005, 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Lions after Mason
Pablo wrote:
their real problem is quarterback Joey Harrington, who has been a flop since he was selected in the first-round of the 2002 draft.

I am not a big Piano Man fan but flop is pretty strong words.The problem is more that he hasn't quite flopped or excelled leaving the Lions in the lurch IMO :?

March 1st, 2005, 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

If they were to snag Mason, who would be the #3 guy? I can't imagine Roy or CRog being a #3 guy after being drafted so high and have yet to shine due to the injuries they've had. Mason won't take a #3 salary, so what happens?

March 1st, 2005, 3:17 pm
RIP Killer

Also, I can't imagine they would have given MM a worthy offer. With as much money tied up to a position like WR, they just need a solid WR, not a spectacular playmaker. MM is a solid WR, but signing him would be like singing Ty Law at CB when we already have Bly and Bryant to hefty contracts...just not logical.

March 1st, 2005, 3:19 pm
QB Coach

I just don't think the organization is that confident in Rogers, which is why they are pursuing players like Mason and Muhammad. Usually organizations give up on players after their 4th year, meaning that if Rogers doesn't blossom in these next two seasons, he could be gone. And remember, next year will basically be Rogers' rookie season. Receivers usually don't break out until their third year, which would be Rogers' 4th season, when organizations begin giving up on players.

I don't know what Millen and Mooch are thinking right now, but by pursuing Mason and Muhammad, they are stating that they aren't confident projecting Rogers as a starting receiver next season.

March 1st, 2005, 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I don't know what Millen and Mooch are thinking right now, but by pursuing Mason and Muhammad, they are stating that they aren't confident projecting Rogers as a starting receiver next season.

Brian, is that what you think too? IMO, CRog is better than Roy and most definitly will start next season. He impressed me in the preseaon, and his rookie game against Arizona.

March 1st, 2005, 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I think that if this is true this is a very smart move by the Lions. The receiving core has been decimated by injuries for several years including Rogers, Hakim, Crowell, Herman Moore it goes way back. The last couple of years we end up with a bunch of nobodies being placed out there. At one point we had Ricks, Fitzsimmons, Shawn Jefferson and Kircus on the field at the same time, I wanted to cry. This year Kircus, Vines, and Streets. C'mon we are hurting there guys. That is not a group that is overcrowded with talent.
If the Lions do land Mason, they have landed a sure handed guy who is agile, quick, and versatile. It would function as an insurance for Rogers but not that they have given up on Rogers. That would be if Rogers were to get cut. The distinction of #1, 2, and 3 WR becomes blurred because they are all talented. This is a good thing, we need the group to play, play well and stay healthy for once. Certainly giving up on Az Hakim becomes a real possibility. Hakim is enjoying a big contract as it is, letting him go would cushion the addition of Mason.

March 1st, 2005, 10:01 pm
QB Coach

Brian wrote:

Brian, is that what you think too? IMO, CRog is better than Roy and most definitly will start next season. He impressed me in the preseaon, and his rookie game against Arizona.

I actually thought Rogers was going to break out this season and become the #1 target. He was playing like it in Pre-Season and was my sleeper pick in Fantasy Football in round 5. Unfortunately, he was injured.

I love Chuck, but it may be wise to seriously consider getting a proven receiver. If he goes down, i'm not that confident in Az Hakim stepping in as the #2 receiver, as he hasn't proven anything the past few years. And Hakim may be cut, leaving David Kircus or Scotty Vines as the #2 receiver!

Bottom line is, we need to add to our receiving depth, and we may do that by delegating our starters to depth, in Rogers, and getting a proven #1 or #2 receiver.

March 2nd, 2005, 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think Mason would be a great pick up. I also belive that Mason is a better receiver than Muhammed. Muhammed seems to have a big year every few seasons, he is not very consistent. Dump Hakim and his big salary he is not worth near that kind of money.

I would love to see C Rogers get healthy, but man o man he just seems likes an injury waiting to happen at all times.

March 2nd, 2005, 8:18 am
RIP Killer

I don't think CRog will have a "break out" type year. I think he'll excel if runs deep routes but he'll be shy about running slants and crossing over the middle...or maybe I'm just shy about him running slants over the middle. Either way, I don't expect 1000 yards from him, but he's definately capable. I just hope, along with everyone else, that he stays healthy.

March 2nd, 2005, 8:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]