View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2018, 10:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Vick lost? 
Megatron

Post Vick lost?
Something about his makes me happy; I don't know why :wink:

Quote:
Falcons | Vick not understanding team's offense
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:39:52 -0800

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick admitted he is "lost" about the team's offensive philosophy and wonders why the passing game doesn't use more short, slant patterns. Vick said, "We're not dinking and dunking the way it's supposed to be done. It may be hurting me. It may be hurting the offense. I'm a little lost right now."

So much for the "great" Mike Vick :lol:

February 9th, 2006, 10:01 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Vick lost?
TheRealWags wrote:
Something about his makes me happy; I don't know why :wink:

Quote:
Falcons | Vick not understanding team's offense
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 20:39:52 -0800

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick admitted he is "lost" about the team's offensive philosophy and wonders why the passing game doesn't use more short, slant patterns. Vick said, "We're not dinking and dunking the way it's supposed to be done. It may be hurting me. It may be hurting the offense. I'm a little lost right now."

So much for the "great" Mike Vick :lol:

Sounds to me like the Falcons need the Offensive genius of Steve Mariucci on their staff.

:lol:

February 9th, 2006, 10:16 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Vick has never been accused of being a mental giant, but dinking and dunking doesn't get it done.

February 9th, 2006, 11:01 am
Vick has never been accused of being a mental giant, but dinking and dunking doesn't get it done.

That's not always true, and Vick could probably have a lot of success in that type of offense...

February 9th, 2006, 3:56 pm
National Champion

That's not always true, and Vick could probably have a lot of success in that type of offense...

Because of his great accuracy? :?: :?: :?:

February 9th, 2006, 5:06 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Vick's best friend is the deep route. It clears the D.B.'s and Safeties and makes room between them and the L.B.'s which makes a lot of room for him to run in a wide open field.

February 9th, 2006, 9:33 pm
Bubbles the Lion

The problem is that the back of his jersey says Vick instead of Mexico. Long live RON MEXICO!!!!

February 9th, 2006, 11:12 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Because of his great accuracy? :?: :?: :?:

Because of YAC, his ability to create time, the threat of him running, and what it does to the opposing defense... who's the lower zone CB going to guard?... Vick or the WR chillin' in his zone???... Vick doesn't have to be the most accurate passer to survive in a dink and dunk type of situation... He can create tons of time, generate his own threat, get the D out of position, and throw to whomever is wide open. If they run a man coverage clear out the WR's, take the CB's with them, and run Vick... I mentioned zone first because that's what most teams seem to run against the Falcons to curb Vicks ground threat.

IMO those short passes should be the strength of the Falcons offense... always have at least one WR deep to clear one S or maybe even both... and throw to them occasionally to keep the other team honest. IMO his lack of accuracy only helps point to the dink and dunk.... Make his throws easy ones...

February 11th, 2006, 10:38 pm
#1 Overall Pick

IMO those short passes should be the strength of the Falcons offense... always have at least one WR deep to clear one S or maybe even both... and throw to them occasionally to keep the other team honest. IMO his lack of accuracy only helps point to the dink and dunk.... Make his throws easy ones...

When a team has a bunch of short passes as the staple of their offense (like Mooch)..........it really makes it easier for the defense to blitz.

In Vick's case, the teams that have contained his running have been able to pressure him early......cut off his running alleys........and force him to make quick throws. Since he can't read defenses all that well......I wouldn't want him making quick reads.

If I were Atlanta's OC, I would design the offense to be a very near facsimile to the Denver offense. They already run the SAME zone blocking scheme for the ground game..........and Vick is most dangerous on bootlegs anyway. When a QB is on a boot, he also onlt has to read half of the field, which makes is simple for Vick.

In obvious passing situations, I'd rely MUCH MORE on heavy protection schemes and only 2 to 3 man routes (like Dallas + Washington did a lot this year) because it is harder to blitz these protection schemes and Vick has the arm strength to fit a deeper pass in the seam. He may only have 2 or 3 options..............but the extra TIME he has to throw is more important to give the WRs a chance to get open..........or at the very least, they will force the DBs deep and give Vick a ton of room to run.

February 14th, 2006, 8:06 am
Quote:

When a team has a bunch of short passes as the staple of their offense (like Mooch)..........it really makes it easier for the defense to blitz.

In Vick's case, the teams that have contained his running have been able to pressure him early......cut off his running alleys........and force him to make quick throws. Since he can't read defenses all that well......I wouldn't want him making quick reads.

If I were Atlanta's OC, I would design the offense to be a very near facsimile to the Denver offense. They already run the SAME zone blocking scheme for the ground game..........and Vick is most dangerous on bootlegs anyway. When a QB is on a boot, he also onlt has to read half of the field, which makes is simple for Vick.

In obvious passing situations, I'd rely MUCH MORE on heavy protection schemes and only 2 to 3 man routes (like Dallas + Washington did a lot this year) because it is harder to blitz these protection schemes and Vick has the arm strength to fit a deeper pass in the seam. He may only have 2 or 3 options..............but the extra TIME he has to throw is more important to give the WRs a chance to get open..........or at the very least, they will force the DBs deep and give Vick a ton of room to run.

I don't think a short passing schemed offense makes it easier to blitz at all... and even still, do you really want to blitz Michael Vick?... that could easily prove disasterous.... IMO the Lions inabilty to pick up the blitz and our WR's inabilty to recognize it were the ONLY reasons we weren't successful against the blitz... not because of the scheme...

Short passes and quick routes, if anything, are a good way to stop the blitz... That coupled with Vick's rushing ability makes blitzing unattractive IMO... As I said earlier, zones and coverage schemes seem to be the best ways to stop Vick...

February 14th, 2006, 3:10 pm
#1 Overall Pick

I don't think a short passing schemed offense makes it easier to blitz at all... and even still, do you really want to blitz Michael Vick?... that could easily prove disasterous.... IMO the Lions inabilty to pick up the blitz and our WR's inabilty to recognize it were the ONLY reasons we weren't successful against the blitz... not because of the scheme...

Most of the teams that have success against Atlanta blitz Vick.
..........The key is to make sure to stay in their lanes so they don't give him an alley to run.

The Lions inability to play well against the blitz was often VERY MUCH due to the scheme.

#1...........Many teams figured out that the Lions always (>80-90%) sent 4-5 guys into patterns......leaving only 5 guys in protection frequently.
#2...........So the defenses that sent 5 guys blitzing (often overloaded to one side) easily beat any protection scheme.
#3...........Since the defense KNEW they could get pressure quickly, the DBs just squatted on the short routes......which made the shorter routes much more difficult to complete as well........because they didn't have to worry about getting burnt deep!

The SCHEME is whar dictated all of those 3 yard checkdowns on 3rd-and-10!!! If Mariucci had been flexible enough to have a 7 man protection and only 3 WRs in the route (or even 2 sometimes!)...........Harrington MIGHT have had enough time to wait for a deeper route to develop.

February 14th, 2006, 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]