View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Is LB 2004 our CB problem area from 2003? 
RIP Killer

Post Is LB 2004 our CB problem area from 2003?
Boss Bailey out indefinately, B. Green in NY, Gooch gone as well.

Rookie Alex Lewis is banged up and now James Davis has a bad ankle (he could be out till the opener)...

Linebacker looks to be the trouble spot, kinda like CB last year (and lets not jinx that spot again with all four starters out last game).

The Lions are gonna have to consider allowing Lehman to play some weakside if Davis and Lewis aren't ready to go. Good thing he brings some flexibility to the position. Holmes has, well, looked liked Holmes to this point. I have been fairly impressed with Curry filling in for Boss.

Looking at the way the Lions addressed CB last year don't be surprised if 1) they go pick up a FA and 2) make LB a focus (at least in terms of depth) in the draft next year.

August 23rd, 2004, 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Why am I have this re-occuring dream of Josh Thornhill???

In me you can see that time of year when a few yellow leaves or none at all hang. In me you can see the glowing embers that lie upon the ashes remaining from the flame of my youth. So, respect more deeply that which you must give up before long.

August 23rd, 2004, 6:19 pm
QB Coach

Mariucci was actually talking about moving Lehman to OLB because of the injuries the other day, let me look for the link...

August 23rd, 2004, 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-helpwantedailinglionsmull&prov=knight&type=lgns

August 23rd, 2004, 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Post Linebacker Additions & Boss Update
The following was taken from an e-report:

Linebacker Additions Energize Lions' Preparations for Ravens
By Jay Clemons
DetroitLions.com
August 24, 2004

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions fortified their linebacking corps in three distinct ways on Tuesday: Signing one talented, small-college rookie, moving one major-college rookie to outside linebacker and welcoming an injured veteran back into the fray...on the heels of his return from his alma mater.

With the Sept. 12 regular-season opener at Chicago only 19 days away and with two sets of roster cuts still looming, the Lions shored up their depth at linebacker by agreeing to contract terms with Stevie Baggs, Jr., a rookie from Bethune-Cookman.

Baggs, the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference player of the year in 2003, led all of Division I-AA in tackles-for-loss (33) and ranked fourth nationally in sacks (15). The club also moved rookie Teddy Lehman (No. 37 pick overall) to outside linebacker, a departure from his standard middlie-linebacking duties.

"We're playing a little bit of musical chairs with outside linebackers for obvious reasons," said Lions Coach Steve Mariucci on Tuesday. "Today, for part of the practice, we put Donte' Curry -- who we've talked about already being a very versatile football player -- at the (weakside) linebacker spot...

Detroit Lions rookie linebacker Teddy Lehman may be switching to outside linebacker for the foreseeable future. "We practiced Teddy a little bit at the strong-outside spot with Earl (Holmes) and Donte'; and we took a little bit of a look at him."

Mariucci also feels Baggs' arrival has somewhat replenished the reserves at linebacker.

"We're thin at the linebacker spot...so when you start servicing each other with the scout team and all the different looks that you need, we need some guys to come in and compete and give us some depth," he said. "(Baggs) fits the bill."

Later in the day, the Lions also acquired linebackers Rodney Thomas (Clemson) and Michael Young (Illinois).

The club has worked feverishly to find linebacking help, as a reaction to injuries to key performers Boss Bailey (knee) and Alex Lewis.

Bailey, a second-year, strong-side linebacker from the University of Georgia, had flown two weeks ago to the Athens, Ga. office of Dr. Mixon Robinson for an apparent arthroscopic surgery ? a procedure that would have shelved him for perhaps the entire preseason. But upon further inspection, Robinson located the cartilage tear and performed a different surgery to mend the knee. He will miss an indefinite amount of time this season. He is with the team everyday now.

"(The) prognosis after the surgery was to stay off (his knee) and keep his weight off (it) -- that's why he's on crutches," Mariucci said. "After he throws the crutches away, he begins to rehab. He's rehabbing right now, but in terms of walking on it, jogging on it and exercising the knee, it's going to be (four) weeks before he is even allowed to do that."

Lewis, still recovering from an ankle sprain, was making strides in his rookie season, before the minor setback.

Bailey is optimistic his recovery will proceed smoothly.

"I've been through a few things before with my knees, and I know the good times are going to come again," Bailey said after Tuesday's practice. "I just have to work through the tough times right now. (My knee) hasn't touched the floor since the day of the surgery because it's very important for me to keep the weight off it.

"I'm basically going to do what (the doctors) tell me," he continued. "For the long run, it'll probably be for the best."

In me you can see that time of year when a few yellow leaves or none at all hang. In me you can see the glowing embers that lie upon the ashes remaining from the flame of my youth. So, respect more deeply that which you must give up before long.

August 25th, 2004, 4:56 pm
All State

Post Re: Linebacker Additions & Boss Update
rabbi wrote:
the Lions shored up their depth at linebacker by agreeing to contract terms with Stevie Baggs, Jr., a rookie from Bethune-Cookman.

thanks rabbi for posting the article. i must admit i was getting a little worried about the linebackers until we signed someone from bethune-cookman. im sure that is a fine school for learning how to cook over a gas grill. :lol:

August 25th, 2004, 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Post Re: Linebacker Additions & Boss Update
spiderman wrote:
rabbi wrote:
the Lions shored up their depth at linebacker by agreeing to contract terms with Stevie Baggs, Jr., a rookie from Bethune-Cookman.

thanks rabbi for posting the article. i must admit i was getting a little worried about the linebackers until we signed someone from bethune-cookman. im sure that is a fine school for learning how to cook over a gas grill. :lol:

Just to clarify. I didn't write the headline or the prose.

At least it is not Thornhill.

August 25th, 2004, 8:42 pm
RIP Killer

Where is butane cookoff? I've got some burgers to grill. 8)

August 27th, 2004, 9:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]