View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Warner GONE 
Fair Weather Fan

Post Warner GONE
Kurt Warner signed a 1 year deal with Arizona. That leaves the Lions to sign WHO as a backup to Joey? Brad Johnson? I'm really disappointed even though I'm not a fan of Warner. I don't want Garcia coming here, I want the offense to adapt to our downfield receivers. If the Lions fail to sign Kenoy Kennedy, our free agency period is a bust. I understand there are still possible trade rumors for Donovin Darius, and I agree with what MIllen is doing. Darius isn't worth more than a 3rd rounder, especially when we can simply buy Kennedy. I understand its early to "panic", but I'm just not happy with the way the Lions are limping into free agency. There are alot of quality guys left, but it's time to get down to business. Maybe Warner not coming here will just leave more money to sign Kennedy, a guard, a #3 WR, and a TE. Your thoughts?

March 6th, 2005, 7:56 pm
QB Coach

I'm happy Warner's not here... and Garcia isn't coming here either.

I don't think Johnson is going to sign here... our offense needs a mobile quarterback. Harrington wasn't considered a mobile QB, yet his stats indicate that he can run well.

Frankly, I'm glad we aren't getting one of these guys. I don't want a QB controversy. And by not signing Warner, Garcia, or Johnson, we won't have a controversy. Joey is "the man". Now it's his time to put up or shut up.

March 6th, 2005, 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Well, at least there's no threat of Warner ending up in Detroit any more. I am completely disappointed in the apparent lack of aggresiveness in free agency on Detroit's part. When the Red Wings say they have a plan, you trust them....when the Lions say they have a plan, look out! It could be trouble.

March 7th, 2005, 2:43 am
Site Admin

Maybe there is hope for McMikey after all :lol:

March 7th, 2005, 11:05 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Maybe there is hope for McMikey after all :lol:

Could be, I haven't seen any interest for McMike in FA - not even a visit scheduled from what I can see. He may have little choice but to sit behind Joey again, the Lions might not have much choice in the matter either if Garcia and Brad Johnson sign elsewhere.

March 7th, 2005, 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Maybe there is hope for McMikey after all Laughing

Come on the guy is never gonna be more than a bench warmer, he has great legs but no accuracy. If he is our number 2 QB when the season starts the Lions front office made a mistake

March 7th, 2005, 11:49 am
Site Admin

They say they are looking for a backup...who are they going to get in here of quality with that sales pitch?

Also...who is left? Brad Johnson maybe...Garcia sounds as good as signed by Denver and then who?

Everyone else out there is backup material as well...Quincy Carter? Vinnie "DustFarter" Testaverde?

I know...we could get Charlie Batch and Gus Ferotte back or any of the 20 terrible QBs that have been through Chicago over the last few years.

You can say what you want about Mike but Joey has not shown me any strength in the area of accuracy and decision making. And there is no one left available in FA who could be considered a viable person to "challenge with Joey". Jeff Blake? How many teams have tried that...

I would rather pay Mike next to nothing then pay Vinnie a few million to gather dust on the bench.

March 7th, 2005, 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think Brad Johnson is the only option left that might actually be decent...otherwise, I would much rather them save the money and go re-sign McMike. If I was McMike, I wouldn't come back to Detroit and not get a shot at playing time...especially with McMike's comments last season on how he wanted a shot at a starting job and he obviously wasn't going to get that in Detroit. If they don't sign Johnson, we're back to square one. Man that phrase is stupid.

March 7th, 2005, 2:03 pm
Site Admin

Along with everyone else who thinks this, I'll go on record to say that I think the Lions website is one of the worst in the NFL (bring on the negatives, the editors are too nice)

Propaganda at it's finest lol
DetroitLions.com Article wrote:
Lions Have A Firm Handle On Free Agency Plan
Following The Game Plan
Lions Move Prudently For Free Agency; Safety Walker Re-Signs With Club
By Jay Clemons
DetroitLions.com
March 2, 2005

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Regarding the Detroit Lions and the NFL free-agency "opening bell," all is quiet on the Midwestern front -- for now.

But Lions head coach Steve Mariucci said Wednesday that club officials have progressed toward scheduling face-to-face appointments with coveted free agents in the coming days.

"As a coach, you'd like to get some things settled as quickly as you can," says Mariucci, noting that most free agents visit numerous clubs to better gauge their respective market value.

And with a contingent of Detroit scouts and coaches traveling to south Florida for the University of Miami's "Pro Day" on Thursday, Mariucci inferred no free-agent visits to the Lions' headquarters may occur until Friday or early next week.

Within this process, the Lions are seeking to acquire a backup quarterback to starter Joey Harrington, Mariucci says. And some of the oft-mentioned candidates include Jeff Garcia and Brad Johnson.

Mariucci says the Lions should be attractive for all free-agent candidates, whether it's offensive and defensive linemen or quarterbacks, to name a few (dlinemen? What about safety?).

"We don't feel like we're going to get left out," says Mariucci, reiterating the franchise's plan for prudently pursuing their top prospects. "We feel as if we will sign somebody (lmao...nice quote Mooch)."

LMAO :lol:

March 7th, 2005, 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]