View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 9:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Bringing back Alexander? 
RIP Killer

Post Bringing back Alexander?
Curt Sylvester, of the Detroit Free Press, reports the Detroit Lions have indicated that they would like to re-sign free agent TE Stephen Alexander.

Why in the world would they want Alexander back? They'd be much better off with Pollard, who's scheduled to visit Tuesday I believe. Alexander is a bum who drops more balls than he catches.

March 7th, 2005, 3:24 pm
Pop Warner Vet

They must have the secret formula for success.

To reach the lofty summit that is 6 and 10, we must have the exact same team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry:

March 7th, 2005, 3:29 pm
NFL Veteran

Is that supposed to be some kind of leverage against Pollard?

That's cute.

March 7th, 2005, 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Alexander is marginal TE (imo) Pollard would be an upgrade

March 7th, 2005, 4:04 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: Bringing back Alexander?
conversion02 wrote:
Why in the world would they want Alexander back? They'd be much better off with Pollard, who's scheduled to visit Tuesday I believe. Alexander is a bum who drops more balls than he catches.

While i'm not a Alexander supporter... some of the criticisms of Mooch and the Lions were that Joey wasn't throwing the balls correctly, resulting in the receivers dropping the balls. Just wanted to throw that in, not saying I agree with it or anything.

Anyways... Alexander was more productive than Pollard last season. He is a much better blocker, and wouldn't be a liability in rushing situations. He is actually an above-average blocker.

I think that we have a terrific young nucleus of talent, and continuity is the next step towards a playoff run. Having Joey play with the same group of guys will make him better, not bringing in different people and having him adjust every year. He's already been through 2 different offenses in his 3 years here, and has lost his #1 receiver, (i'm going to stop now, and not ramble on excuses)...

So yeah... Alexander isn't a terrible signing. If he can start catching, and not blow us games, he could be an asset to this team. He was our third best receiver last year, behind Roy and Az.

March 7th, 2005, 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Bryson was a much better reciever, if you can call him that, than Alexander was IMO.

I also think that Heath Miller would be, hands down, an huge upgrade over Alexander.

March 7th, 2005, 4:53 pm
NFL Team Captain

If we did sign Pollard then Alexander would be a great backup at the right price cause he can block also says goodbye to Casey, too bad he is a good kid just not ready for a fulltime job

March 7th, 2005, 6:18 pm
Modmin Dude

I think that we would say good-bye (and good riddance) to Alexander (keep dropping them TDs in the end zone and see what that'll get ya) and keep Casey. Casey just needs to learn a little more about the blocking and he should be quite serviceable sp?

March 7th, 2005, 6:22 pm
NFL Veteran

... some of the criticisms of Mooch and the Lions were that Joey wasn't throwing the balls correctly, resulting in the receivers dropping the balls.

I remember reading that and laughing. That must've been a Sherm thing. I've seen Vick throw like 500 mph ducks and they're caught.

When Joey sets his feet and goes through the right mechanics he's more than capable of throwing nice touch passes.

March 7th, 2005, 8:52 pm
Profile WWW

Joey wasn't throwing the balls correctly, resulting in the receivers dropping the balls

Yeah all them times right through the hands and right in the numbers, wont make it in the NFL throwing like that Joey.

March 7th, 2005, 9:07 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Go back and watch the playoffs and watch all the bad passes that guys like Manning, Culpepper, McNabb etc. threw.

The only differnce I saw a lot bad passes turned into awsome catches. The only Lion one I remember was the one hander by Williams early in the year.

March 8th, 2005, 12:02 am

Go back and watch the playoffs and watch all the bad passes that guys like Manning, Culpepper, McNabb etc. threw.

The only differnce I saw a lot bad passes turned into awsome catches. The only Lion one I remember was the one hander by Williams early in the year.

Exactly! You are preaching to the choir

March 8th, 2005, 10:49 am
League MVP

Leo- haha funny joke. Yeah Joey is a regular McNabb if you give him Freddie Mitchell, Todd Pinkston and LJ Smith. He's better than Culpepper if he has Burleson, Kelly Campbell, and Jermaine Wiggins. Manning does have good WR but he is the best. Brady was outstanding in the playoffs. You guys that think Vick is not a good QB are laughable, he wins.

Roy made several great catches. Swinton and Hakim did as well. David Kircus even had one. Yes there were several drops but Joey excuses are getting out of hand now. The guy is a headcase and has only average ability anyway. He has been given as much time as Brees and done nothing. He has switched offenses barely, Mooch and Morninwheg are as close as it gets. Brees did when Schottenheimer came in. Joey has no pocket presence. I heard Schlereth on the radio saying that the Lions shouldnt get a veteran backup because it will give Joey the wrong idea and somehow affect his play. This is worse than Ryan Leaf bc its taking so long to stamp REJECT. His only hope is that Rogers, Williams, and Jones bail him out all year.

March 9th, 2005, 12:27 am
QB Coach

David Kircus even had one.

LMFAO, I remember that catch! Against Dallas! It was nearly picked off!

March 9th, 2005, 1:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]