View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 highlight reel 3/7 
Modmin Dude

Post highlight reel 3/7
Monday, March 07, 2005

Unofficial word: Kennedy signed
This is the latest from Tom Kowalski posted in the Lions forum.

5:13 p.m. - TomKowalski: Update ... after being told we'd get an update by "4:30 at the latest,'' we've now been told something will happen between 5:30 and 6 ... you've heard, of course, that pollard has signed ... i don't know if kennedy is going to be signed or not ...

5:17 p.m. - TomKowalski: The latest ... now we're hearing that kennedy did sign ... nothing official, though ...

Print | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)

ESPNews reports Pollard signs
ESPNews reports the Lions have signed former Colts tight end Marcus Pollard for 3 years, $6 million with a 2.3 signing bonus. Here's the latest from ESPN.com.

Pollard will join an offense that has been upgraded over the past two years with the additions of wide receivers Charles Rogers and Roy Williams and halfback Kevin Jones. Pollard, a former basketball player, is considered a great receiving threat.

Pollard only caught 29 passes last season, but he's usually been a 40-catch receiver. With so many options available for the Colts, Pollard didn't have as much receiving activity as in past year.

The 33-year-old Pollard didn't play college football. The 6-3, 247-pound former basketball player went to Steward County Community College and was signed by the Colts in 1995 as an undrafted player.

Lions calling media to Allen Park
Word out of Allen Park is that the Lions have called large media outlets down to headquarters for an "update". Here's what Kowalski says.

4:13 p.m. - TomKowalski: fellas ... the lions have called the local tv stations to come out for an "update'' at 4 :30 .... i don't think they would do that unless they have kennedy signed .. i could be wrong

4:27 p.m. - TomKowalski: i didn't guarantee anything ... i just don't know why they'd call the tv stations if there wasn't anything significant ... who knows? ...

Ortiz says Kennedy in negotiations
Team 1270's Lions insider Tony Ortiz said at about 4:15 p.m. the tour is over, and the Lions and Kenoy Kennedy's agent have begun negotiations. He came back on the radio and said he talked to Kennedy's agent who used the phrase "heavy negotiations." Now, Kennedy's agent isn't answering the phone.

Millen bid hard for Rivera
Peter King of SI.com reports a little more detail on how close the Lions came on landing Marco Rivera. Apparently Matt Millen was so determined to land him, that he kept upping the ante -- just so Rivera would come for his visit in Detroit.

In Rivera's case, the Cowboys had stiff competition from the Detroit Lions. GM Matt Millen wanted one of the best offensive linemen in the NFC North badly, and he spent a couple of hours upping the ante while Rivera sat at the Cowboys' complex last week. But the Cowboys had home-field advantage -- and home-agent advantage. Jimmy Sexton represents Parcells and Rivera. And so where do you think Rivera made his first stop of free agency? Dallas, of course. And the Cowboys didn't let him out of the building, upping the signing bonus to $9 million, which is right where the Lions were. That got it done. Five years, $20 million, including $9 million to sign.

March 7th, 2005, 6:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]