View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Kennedy Signed 
RIP Killer

Post Kennedy Signed
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=2007312

The Lions added the aggressive, young safety they've seeking for years when they reached a five-year, $14 million agreement with safety Kenoy Kennedy that included a $4.4 million signing bonus.

Kennedy was a hard-hitting member of Broncos defense and considered the top safety in the free agent market. He's been a starter for the past four seasons.

A former second-round choice from the 2002 draft, Kennedy, 27, will work with Brock Marion -- Kennedy as the strong safety and Marion as the free safety.

March 7th, 2005, 6:29 pm
NFL Team Captain

March 7th, 2005, 6:32 pm
QB Coach

What a nice deal! Less than 3 M per year!

Good job M&M... this really changes our draft.

March 7th, 2005, 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Says John Clayton, ESPN.

March 7th, 2005, 6:38 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not sure about Marion at FS though. I have to think the Lions should consider starting Holt at FS and Kennedy at SS. They might even consider releasing Marion now. Time will tell.

Mr. Millen - nice job! :idea:

Last edited by Pablo on March 7th, 2005, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2005, 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

That would be nice to free up Marion's cap space and replace him...I wonder how much he costs against the cap. I would like to see Holt given a chance, but I do think Marion would be a lot better this year if he isn't cut before the season starts. Last year he looked terrible because the CBs were hurt quite often and Walker...Walker just plain sucks. So yeah, Marion is bound to look bad. It's not like we're hurting with the cap situation. I say keep him unless we have a solid replacement.

BTW, it's conversion, like a conversion van or a conversion from metric to english units.

March 7th, 2005, 6:53 pm
QB Coach

I was thinking the same, in regards to the Marion release.

I read a while back that the Lions wanted to give Holt the starting job... I was shocked when I read it, but it would be the right move.

Besides Marion, we have 4 safeties under contract. Holt, Fox, Kennedy, and Walker... with him being the oldest, he may be out.

March 7th, 2005, 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I was hugely dissapointed in Marion. Its time for Holt to take his rightful place in the starting lineup.

March 7th, 2005, 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
All State

kenndy and holt, i'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it. i think the lions can let marion walk if they need the cap space. if not, he is a decent backup who might not finish out his contract anyway.

:idea: :arrow: :idea:

March 7th, 2005, 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

They done did good IMO...it was worth the wait. A TE who can catch in the red zone and a safety who can hit hard. Both seem like lion friendly deals too!

OGs and OTs are next :D

March 7th, 2005, 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

Yeah. I was impressed with the signings. I hope that it translates into "W's".

I was really impressed with the low cap impact too.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

March 8th, 2005, 1:09 pm
League MVP

The Lions are still well under the cap. Cutting Marion makes no sense unless they were to grab a stud to take some of that money. You dont just cut guys and sit under the cap without using it. They are in a good spot right now with two veteran starters and a young guy like Holt to learn from them and work his way in. Holt is not good enough to just hand the job to. I think if Kentrell Curry is healthy we will here his name when camp approaches. He was very good and a team leader at Georgia, one of the best college defenses. If a good safety prospect is available in round 2-3 the Lions should still take a hard look.

March 8th, 2005, 11:26 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Holt has been learning long enough. Its time for us to give him some playing time and see if he is as good as some think he is.

March 9th, 2005, 9:08 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

I dont disagree with playing time but you dont just hand over the starting position when a recent Pro Bowl player is the guy to cut. They would essentially nullify the Kennedy signing by having a question mark at FS. Can he play an entire game? Can he play when injured? Can he play a whole season? Can he play after other teams have scouted him? He is completely unproven. He did not beat out Bracy Walker last year who was inadequate. Now if you can upgrade and bring in a guy like Darren Sharper than yeah sure let Marion walk. But not Holt unchallenged, with only Bracy Walker and Vernon Fox sitting behind him.

March 9th, 2005, 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]