View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Derrick Johnson 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Derrick Johnson
Does anybody have ESPN insider? If you do copy and paste the read on Derrick Johnson I would like to read it.

March 4th, 2005, 4:12 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Hey Lionsfanva? Dont take this personally but your profile looks familiar. Have you ever gone by the moniker "Beathen?"

March 4th, 2005, 9:25 pm

March 7th, 2005, 9:26 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

March 9th, 2005, 12:38 am
RIP Killer

Don't know if this is of any help but this is on nfldraftcountdown

College: Texas Height: 6-31/4
Position: Outside Linebacker Weight: 242
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.54
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: A playmaker in every sense of the word...Powerful tackler...Makes play sideline-to-sideline...Excellent instincts...More than holds his own in coverage and has fluid hips...Highly productive...Explosive athlete...Very good when blitzing and pursues well...Always around the action...Has a knack for making the big play.
Weaknesses: Could stand to add some weight and bulk up...Struggles to take on blocks...Will ignore his assignment at times in an effort to make a play...Will miss some tackles.
Notes: May have been the first linebacker selected had he come out after his junior season...Has a brother (Dwight) who played in the NFL and is the cousin of Kevin (Ex-Florida St.) and Ben Emanuel (UCLA)...One of the best linebacker prospects to come along in years.

March 9th, 2005, 9:14 am
NFL Team Captain

While Earl Holmes is still doing a fine job he is aging and won't be around much longer. The M&M boys want to move Teddy to the middle. Johnson would be an excellent pick if available. Johnson--Lehman--Bailey. Sounds great to me :arrow:

Now that I have been educated to the fact that Gabe Watson is still at Michigan, what about Mike Peterson in the 2nd. Big Daddy wont last forever and this would give Peterson time to learn the pro game.

March 9th, 2005, 9:48 am
Site Admin

I would totally grab Johnson :shock: if he were available. There are not really any other players that I have heard of that are so well touted or tabbed as "can't miss" like this guy. But, my hunch is other teams are big dummies and that he will get picked up pretty quickly.

March 9th, 2005, 10:19 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

1) I'm concerned over the knees of Boss. There is a long history of issues there (that is why we got first round talent in the second round). :cry:

2) Hook em' Horns! We've got a pretty good Texas Alum Association going in Detroit with Shaun Rogers, Redding and Roy Williams. 8)

3) As many of you pointed out, Lehman will likely be moving to the middle at some point. Bailey - Lehman - Johnson is an exciting lineup at LB. :P

4) "DJ" is so easy to write! :lol:

I'm starting to think more and more that DJ won't be around at #10 with the FA moves made so far. He could go as early as the Cards pick (they are pretty high on him from what I've heard).

March 9th, 2005, 10:42 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

IMO I am sure that DJ will be snatched up by the Browns. With Phil Savage coming from Baltimore as the new GM, he'll play a key role in who they pick at #3. They'll pass on Alex Smith due to their short term solution in Trent Dilfer. Also, I think they'll pass on Mike W and Braylon. So they're bound to go defense (especially if Savage has any say...It's between DJ or Rolle. They'll start with a franchise D man. DJ best fits that description and he's probably the 2nd best pure athlete in the draft (after Ronnie Brown, whom I think is a superstud and will be better than Brian Westbrook).

March 9th, 2005, 10:53 am
RIP Killer

converrsion02 - you are correct, I meant to say the Browns but the Cards slipped out (Brian has me thinking about the Cards all the time now - doh).

DJ looks like a stud ready to happen at the next level. Why waste that talent in Cleveland...

March 9th, 2005, 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Brian has me thinking about the Cards all the time now - doh.

It is time to have that portion of your brain removed then :shock:

March 9th, 2005, 11:09 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I agree. However, One mock I've seen has the dogs taking Rolle at #3...eh, here's that mock - NOT mine by the way and I don't agree with about a half dozen of the picks and where's PAC MAN??? Move all CBs down a rank (except Rolle).

1 San Francisco 49ers Aaron Rodgers QB California
The 49ers are still deciding between whether to go with a quarterback or a higher rated player. They are really interested in Michigan WR Braylon Edwards. Neither Rodgers and Smith grade as Top-10 picks on film.

2 Miami Dolphins Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
The veteran options at running back haven?t proven to be plentiful thus far. Brown would be an excellent feature back for Nick Saban and Scott Linehan. He?s a tough runner who provides versatility.

3 Cleveland Browns Antrel Rolle CB Miami, Fla.
Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel have their short-term option at quarterback in Trent Dilfer. Now the tough decision is whether Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith merit the contract slotted here. Defense might be a safer choice. Rolle would give the Browns another starter in the secondary and move Daylon McCutcheon into the nickel role.

4 Chicago Bears Cedric Benson RB Texas
Signing Mushin Muhammad takes pressure off the Bears to take a wide receiver here, although it?s still a possibility they go for a wideout to give Rex Grossman another weapon. The Bears will take a running back on day one because Thomas Jones isn?t the long-term answer. Benson is being watched closely by Bears? officials.

5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Carnell Williams RB Auburn
The Buccaneers badly need a running back to provide Jon Gruden with a foundation to build his offense around. Williams is a tough inside runner with the versatility to make big plays, but his medical history is a concern.

6 Tennessee Titans Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
The Titans generally select the best player available. Edwards would give the Titans some stability in the passing game after losing Derrick Mason. The Titans are also interested in USC?s Mike Williams.

7 Minnesota Vikings Mike Williams WR Southern California
The Vikings love the physical tools that Mike Williams brings to the table. Williams can create matchup problems in the intermediate passing game due to his size.

8 Arizona Cardinals Alex Smith QB Utah
Dennis Green is looking for defense, but Cardinals? scouts are looking closely at Smith to strengthen their quarterback picture for the long-term.

9 Washington Redskins Shawne Merriman OLB-DE Maryland
Gregg Williams did a great job masking the lack of a consistent pass rush from his front four. Adding Merriman would provide the Redskins with a badly needed defensive end that can put pressure on the quarterback.

10 Detroit Lions Derrick Johnson LB Texas
Heath Miller would be tempting here for the long-term despite signing Marcus Pollard. But the defense still needs more play-makers. Johnson would bolster a young group of linebackers with his coverage skills and range.

11 Dallas Cowboys Demarcus Ware OLB-DE Troy
The upfield athleticism of Ware really intrigues Bill Parcells. Ware has been climbing up the boards and would be an ideal piece in the 3-4 alignment that Parcells wants to install.

12 San Diego Chargers Marcus Spears DL Louisiana State
The Chargers would like to find another end in the 3-4 that can help strengthen the run defense. Spears would be a solid fit, although the Chargers are keeping an eye on higher value spots like offensive tackle, wide receiver, and linebacker. A lot will depend on how the board falls on draft day.

13 Houston Texans Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
Another cornerback? Yes, it?s a possibility as the Texans look ahead for life after Aaron Glenn. The Texans are looking for another long-term answer to join Dunta Robinson and Demarcus Faggins.

14 Carolina Panthers Shaun Cody DE Southern California
John Fox takes pride in the strength of the front four and would like to make sure it remains a strength. Brenston Buckner will likely be entering his last season. Although the coaches like Kindal Morehead, it would be tough to pass on Cody.

15 Kansas City Chiefs Justin Miller CB Clemson
Defense is the top priority for the Chiefs. Miller is a great athlete who also is tough enough to fit into Gunther Cunningham?s defense at cornerback.

16 New Orleans Saints Thomas Davis SS Georgia
The Saints will be after the best player available on defense. Davis would be a stud addition to the Saints? defense being groomed behind Jay Bellamy at strong safety. The Saints are also looking at cornerbacks and linebackers.

17 Cincinnati Bengals Luis Castillo DT Northwestern
Marvin Lewis wants an interior run stopper here. Castillo has all the tools to develop into a fine run defender who can solidify the front seven.

18 Minnesota Vikings Brodney Pool S Oklahoma
The Vikings have addressed the front seven with veterans, but hope to come away with another athlete in the secondary. Pool would bring a blend of toughness and athletic ability to the Vikings at strong safety.

19 St. Louis Rams David Pollack DE Georgia
The Rams are hoping to come away with another pass rusher after deciding to let Bryce Fisher seek big money elsewhere.

20 Dallas Cowboys Alex Barron OT Florida State
The offensive line was a problem last season and they began addressing that with the addition of Marco Rivera. They need to upgrade their talent base at tackle.

21 Jacksonville Jaguars Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
Jack Del Rio found his pass rusher and now needs to add another fixture at cornerback. Washington?s speed really opened up a lot of eyes and he?s a solid prospect on film.

22 Baltimore Ravens Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
Derrick Mason was a major addition to rebuild the passing game. They could really bolster their offense with the polished Clayton.

23 Seattle Seahawks Dan Cody DE Oklahoma
Ray Rhodes likes aggressive pass rushers. There aren?t many who pack more intensity than Cody off the perimeter.

24 Green Bay Packers Matt Roth DE Iowa
Former Dolphins? defensive coordinator Jim Bates is bringing a new philosophy to Green Bay. He needs another wide perimeter pass rusher to team up with Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila to make this defense work.

25 Denver Broncos Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
The Broncos have lost Reggie Hayward and missed out on Chike Okeafor. Mike Shanahan likes to take boom or bust prospects like James.

26 New York Jets Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
Donnie Henderson made tremendous strides with the Jets? defense in his first season. Now he just needs another physical corner with coverage skills to build upon last season.

27 Atlanta Falcons Kevin Burnett LB Tennessee
The speed and athleticism of Burnett would bolster the Falcons at linebacker and help Ed Donatell evolve his defense into the new version Buccaneers.

28 San Diego Chargers Reggie Brown WR Georgia
The passing game came alive last season although they don?t have any elite receivers. They would like to add a young guy who they can eventually build their passing game around.

29 Indianapolis Colts Barrett Ruud LB Nebraska
The Colts? run defense continued its struggled again last season. Adding a middle linebacker like Ruud would not only help against the run and provide some versatility in pass coverage, it also would give the Colts some identity.

30 Pittsburgh Steelers Heath Miller, TE TE Virginia
Jay Riemersma was cut as the Steelers look for more production at tight end. Miller is an excellent athlete who can create matchup problems.

31 Philadelphia Eagles Roddy White WR Alabama-Birmingham
Andy Reid looks ahead and sees the Eagles needing to groom another top receiver. Terrell Owens won?t be around forever. White has the ability to develop into a playmaker and add immediate depth.

32 New England Patriots Corey Webster CB Louisiana State
The transition is in progress within the Patriots? secondary. The Patriots need to add numbers here and Webster could be the latest to fill the LSU pipeline to New England.

March 9th, 2005, 11:09 am
QB Coach

Luis Castillo... that's a guy I really like, but rather in the second round.

I've spoken to some scouts who have him highly rated, and in the first round. He could creep into the first.

March 9th, 2005, 4:19 pm
Profile WWW

Id be giddy as a school girl on free cell phone day if Johnson fell to the Lions.

March 10th, 2005, 6:55 am
RIP Killer

Castillo had an amazing 40 time for a big DT at the combine. He ran a 4.79 which was 2nd best for a 300+ pounder (T. Johnson ran a 4.70). He'll go before Hawthorne and maybe before Shaun Cody.

Strengths: Good athletic ability...Is very strong...Always gives 100% and has a motor that never stops...Shows good quickness...Does all the little things...Developing player who still has some upside and potential.
Weaknesses: Needs to work on refining his technique and doing the little things...Still somewhat raw...Isn't as physical as you would like.
Notes: A former prep wrestler...Family is from the Dominican Republic...Has the physical tools that the pros look for and could rise up boards as the draft nears.

March 10th, 2005, 8:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next