View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The new draft 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post The new draft
Well, the signing of Pollard pretty much puts Heath Miller out of the picture, and now Kennedy means no Shazor, who many were picking for our second round. Who do you all think we will draft? I would like E. James, but IMO we will shore up Oline. But then, I'm not very knowledgable on the draft. Thoughts on the singings draft ramifications?

Last edited by bsand2053 on March 7th, 2005, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2005, 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I'm guessing Alex Barron or a DE will be looked at with the 10th pick.

March 7th, 2005, 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

That's what I was thinking of. Well, those are really our only sensible options. I'm predicting an OT (Barron), but I would really like to see them trade down (16-19) and get Travis Johnson at DT (only if we don't get Bell back). I think with out DE rotation, we need a good DT to rotate with Big Daddy cuz he looses some juice in the second half. I still say Barron at 10. I'll work on a mock tomorrow while I'm bored at work.

March 7th, 2005, 10:10 pm
QB Coach

I'll work on a mock tomorrow while I'm bored at work.

Sweet... submit it and it will be a featured draft!

March 8th, 2005, 12:14 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think it means it the first round we will take the best available athlete. Many question Barron as a top 10 pick. Of course I think the Lions would like to trade down a few spots, but so would half the teams. I would love to see Johnson fall to number 10. Even though he is a linebacker and we seem pretty well set there. Perhaps even Rolle if he slides, again not a spot of a pressing need but you cant have too many good corners. In the 2nd round I would like to see David Baas from Michigan, or a receiver just in case Rogers isnt healing well.

March 8th, 2005, 7:36 am
NFL Team Captain

If we sign a FA guard and bring back McDougle, then Marcus Spears DE would be a nice pick at 10. An olineman in the second and Gabe Watson DT in the 3rd. Rogers and Watson could blow up the middle of anything

March 8th, 2005, 9:20 am
Site Admin

:D These were GREAT signings. Not because they are going to take us to the Super Bowl just yet. But because we for the first time in a long time do not have 100 needs going into the draft and FAgency isn't even over. Granted, our team is not perfect but really with another strong draft we are ready to build this team into not only a contender but one that is deep enough to endure the season.

I would like to get back M.Bell, Fitzsimmons, and Swinton though in addition to securing our oline. That may be a tall order after those signings though...let's see what M&M can do.

March 8th, 2005, 9:49 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I think that if Derrick Johnson for some unforsakable reason falls to the 10th pick, then he is the guy we will take. With Holmes being 32, having only one year deal left on his contract, and Millen wanting to move Lehman to the middle, we will probably have a vacancy at the OLB position. Davis will be a free agent next year as well (restricted). It would be a move for the future. So we could take a LB.

I don't think we consider anyone in the secondary, we are basically set there. Corners we are loaded with Bly and Bryant's contracts, as well as Smith, Cash, and Goodman for depth. Safeties appear to be fine (can't believe i'm saying that. Marion and Kennedy or Holt and Kennedy should be decent safeties.

We could also take DE... Redding (restricted), DeVries, and Edwards are all free agents. Only Hall has a somewhat long contract. There are plenty of impact defensive ends to choose from at #10, and everyone has their favorites. I think the 3 they would consider ate #10 are Merriman, James, and Pollack. Don't think they will go DT... Wilkinson still has 2 years left on his deal, and him and Rogers are one of the better tandems in the league. Depth there could work, but who at #10?

The only question we have left is what are we going to do at RT... Is Butler or Rogers the answer... can we re-sign McDougle... should we re-sign McDougle... would Barron have a positive impact... That will play out.

So, IMO, the 5 players on their radar are Derrick Johnson, Alex Barron, Erasmus James, David Pollack, and Shawne Merriman.

March 8th, 2005, 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

What about Heath Miller or Thomas DavisImage

March 8th, 2005, 2:57 pm
Water Boy

Conversion, no way we or I want a DT this year! I would agree with taking a solid DE this year(Merriman, James, Tuck, Canty, or Pollack)! We need an impact DE to wreck havoc from the end with Hall. Next year I want Baby Jr.(Gabe Watson) in the 1st to pair up with Baby Sr. The push those two can get up the middle would totally collaspe O-Lines and the ends can clean up! Both Gabe & Shaun will command double teams but you can't double both so somebody's going to be a beast and that would also make the ends, LB's better!! Gabe Watson next year could be the biggest get if we can manage to pull that off next year! He could get a lil seasoning and take over for big Daddy! With his size IMO would be better than Johnson but that's one opinion.

March 9th, 2005, 12:35 am
League MVP

We have 3 young DEs already. We have 1 young DT. Why make that 4/1?Why would we take another OLB? Davis, Lewis, Bailey, Lehman are all still young. Lehman is not MLB material, no way, unless the DTs are ridiculous. Davis maybe. DT and MLB seem much more depleted than OLB, DE. DE/OLB get stats (sacks) though so that is probably why there is such confusion.

March 9th, 2005, 12:55 am
QB Coach

We have 3 young DEs already. We have 1 young DT. Why make that 4/1?

Next year, that will be one young DE to one young DT... as Redding, Edwards, and DeVries are all free agents. And while Wilkinson is old, he still has two more years on his contract and can still be productive.

The Legend wrote:
Why would we take another OLB? Davis, Lewis, Bailey, Lehman are all still young. Lehman is not MLB material, no way, unless the DTs are ridiculous.

While Lehman may not be MLB material... Millen wants him to play there. Millen is also the same guy who wanted Joey to be his QB, didn't want Garcia... etc. In other words, he gets his way. We all know that in 2006 Lehman will make that shift to MLB. Holmes is a UFA next year, and is old. Davis is a free agent next year.

Basically, we are looking at BPA in the draft. The only immediate needs on this club are at RT and LG, and unless we draft Alex Barron, neither will be filled in the draft. So we look at future needs, and we have DEs and LBs becoming free agents in the near future. I could also see drafting Barron for the same reason - Backus is a UFA next year. Anyways, this pick may not be for right now, rather the future.

March 9th, 2005, 1:11 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

If they are not planning on keeping they're own good young players than they should forget about the draft altogether. BPA is usually not so great for the 1st 3 seasons of his career anyway. I bet Redding and Davis for sure come back. Edwards it depends on how he does this year. DeVries could come back depending on other FAs but he is expendable and replaceable. I hope that Lehman can take the MLB spot, I am just doubtful at this point and I like him on the outside better.

March 9th, 2005, 7:35 am
Baton Girl

After the acquisitions of KK and Pollard, we need to beef up the OLine a little bit in the draft, especially if no tackles or guards such as McDougal, Neil, DeMulling, etc. are signed through FA. I think that the most obvious choice would be OT Alex Barron and OG Baas (if hes still around at our second round pick). Another option would be to trade down, draft Baas, who I think would be a great player with excellent potential, and Jammal Brown, who I absolutely loved to watch play. He would just manhandle people all game long. With trading down to settle for Brown as opposed to Barron, we would have another early pick where we could pick up a quality DE considering their depth in this years draft.

March 9th, 2005, 6:43 pm
RIP Killer

We'll be lucky if he's still there at #42; about as lucky as having DJ be there at #10. Baas is ranking as roughly the 23rd best athlete in the draft and is probably the 3rd best lineman (after Barron and J Brown).

March 9th, 2005, 6:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next