View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 McMahon to visit Eagles today 
RIP Killer

Post McMahon to visit Eagles today
Eagles | McMahon to Visit - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:16:51 -0800

The Philadelphia Eagles will entertain free agent QB Mike McMahon (Lions) Thursday, March 10.

With all the talk from McMahon about not starting and wanting to go to a place where he has a chance to start, why would he go to Philly?? It's not like he could beat out McNabb for the #1...

March 10th, 2005, 1:47 pm
RIP Killer

McMahon isn't going to start anywhere - hopefully he has figured that out so far in the FA market. Maybe his mindset is changing to if I'm not going to start, I'd rather be sitting behind a stud.

Another factor, despite all of Joey's faults one thing he has proven is that he is very durable. McMahon has a better chance to play behind other quarterbacks due to injuries than with Harrington.

Then again, maybe he is just a fan of Chunky Soup!

Philly - what if the Eagles make it back to the SB next year, McNabb goes down and McMike is leading Philly in the SB in Detroit. OMG!

March 10th, 2005, 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Than I can say "Told you so!"...and so will Marty :shock:

March 10th, 2005, 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Somehow I don't see the attitudes clicking with McMike and TO.

I think McMahon is just thinking of the Ws and the ring (no doubt the Eagles are going to the playoffs this year).

March 10th, 2005, 2:05 pm
RIP Killer

McMahons best bet is to go to Atlanta as the backup. He would fit into their offensive scheme, and with Vick running all over Hell's Half-acre he's bound to get hurt again. In reality it's his best case scenario.

March 10th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

If i am a backup qb in the NFL i would go for the Money.

"Show me the money"

March 10th, 2005, 2:11 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

McMahon going to be lucky to not wind being somebody's 3rd string QB.

March 10th, 2005, 2:12 pm
RIP Killer

WOW - McMike is on the front page of the Eagles site...

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com

here's the article on McMike

Quote:
McMahon Idolized Former Eagle QB

March 10, 2005
By JOHN ARGANBRIGHT

Former Detroit Lion and unrestricted free-agent Mike McMahon is scheduled to visit with the Eagles later this afternoon.

McMahon, a Pennsylvania native and fifth-round selection from Rutgers in 2000, has seen a fair share of playing time over the course of his four-year NFL career, all spent in Detroit. In four years, McMahon, 6 feet 2, 215 pounds, has played in 20 games, seven of those starts, throwing 10 touchdowns and 13 interceptions for 1,709 yards.

QB Mike McMahon would be a welcome addition to the Eagles As the backup quarterback to Joey Harrington in 2004, McMahon saw action in only one game, completing 11 out of 15 passes for 77 yards against the Indianapolis Colts. McMahon saw his most extensive playing time in 2002, opening the season as the Lions starting quarterback and playing in a total of eight games, with four starts, including a season-finale thriller that saw McMahon throw for 293 yards and three touchdowns in a win over the Vikings.

McMahon, who as a child said he idolized former Eagles quarterback Randall Cunningham and his mobile style of quarterbacking, would be expected to compete for the backup quarterback job with Koy Detmer if signed.

If the Eagles choose to pursue and sign McMahon, this would all but end unrestricted free agent Jeff Blake's chances of resigning with the Eagles. Blake, a 15-year veteran, completed 18 out of 37 passes for 126 yards and one touchdown as the Eagles' third-string quarterback in 2004.

Further information pertaining to Mike McMahon will be made available to the media later today. Be sure to stay tuned to PhiladelphiaEagles.com for all the recent information related to McMahon and the Eagles free-agent activity.

From Football Scouts Inc. on ESPN: "McMahon is a well-built quarterback that possesses a good combination of athletic ability, arm strength and toughness.

"Shows good pocket presence, has quick feet and is capable of buying time in the pocket. Gets excellent velocity on deeper passes, gets good zip on passes when throwing on the run and has a powerful arm. Has a quick release and flashes the ability to neutralize the rush.

"However, McMahon is inconsistent, he doesn't make sound decisions under pressure and he lacks ideal instincts. Frequently loses the strike zone, doesn't show great accuracy in the short-to-intermediate passing game and while makes some spectacular passes fails to connect on some easy ones.

"Throws too many passes up for grabs when on the run and tries to make too much happen at times. Doesn't show a lot of patience in the pocket and would much rather run than wait for a receiver to get open.

"Overall, McMahon has the mobility and arm strength to develop into an excellent backup to Harrington but great backups protect the football and he has struggled in this area."

March 10th, 2005, 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Koy Detmer is TERRIBLE! Jeff Blake was way better than Detmer last year. 18 of 40 for 207 yards and 2 picks. 40.3 rating. Even though TO was hurt, he should have been a little more accurate than that. Plus the 10 rushing attempts for -7 yards...

McMahon will definately win the backup spot if signed.

March 10th, 2005, 2:33 pm
RIP Killer

What would really be a slap in the face is if Marty played McMike against us next year.

March 10th, 2005, 3:00 pm
RIP Killer

Not so sure about that conversion02, according to ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2009637

Quote:
Meanwhile, quarterback Mike McMahon visited Philadelphia on Thursday. McMahon spent his first four seasons with the Detroit Lions. He has started seven games, but none since 2002. The NFC champion Eagles are seeking a third-string quarterback behind Donovan McNabb and Koy Detmer.

BTW - my understanding is that he is meeting with the media in Philly at 5pm today.

March 10th, 2005, 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I would hope he plays aginst us next year. Then that means Mcnabb is on the bench.

March 10th, 2005, 3:05 pm
RIP Killer

Wow, that'll be a slap in McMahon's face if he can't beat out Koy Detmer! I guess that's not saying much for Joey either, since Mooch considered starting McMike.

If McMike can't pull out the #2 job in camp, he should hang em up or go to the CFL.

March 10th, 2005, 3:06 pm
League MVP

Koy Detmer like his brother Ty is terrible. The only reason either one is in the league is because they know the West Coast offense well. Neither has hardly any athletic ability but contribute by helping out the starting QBs. Jeff Blake doesnt know the offense except launching the ball downfield. Mikey would definitely pass Detmer if McNabb were to go down with a long term injury. I dont see why his personality would clash with Owens any more than McNabb/Owens.

March 10th, 2005, 7:01 pm
RIP Killer

McMahon doesn't seem all that fun, joking type guy from what I've heard/read; McNabb does. McNabb seems like a fun guy whereas McMahon doesn't. I just don't think him and TO would be hanging out, that's all.

March 10th, 2005, 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next