View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 23rd, 2014, 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Scott 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Scott
This article makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :cry:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=list/050314/nflfreeagents&num=3

ESPN wrote:
Twice the Lions made the playoffs, and twice they bombed out in the first round thanks, in large part, to Mitchell's terrible performances. If Mitchell had been simply above average, the Lions' offense ? featuring Barry Sanders and wide receiver Herman Moore ? could have been hard to beat.

March 15th, 2005, 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

Whoever made that list was really only looking at Mitchell's post Lions career where he was both washed up and on awful offensive teams.

Conveniently left out how Mitchell rushed for 10 tds as a Lions, had a season with 32 TDs and 12 Ints, + (78td/54 ints) in the 4 seasons he started for us. Had the best season by a Lions QB ever. Those Lions teams were some of the best passing teams of all time, too. Dont really see how he was the worst signing ever. His downfall was the implementation of Bobby Ross' coaching style. Just didnt match.

March 15th, 2005, 11:02 pm
Site Admin

Herman Moore, Brett Perrimen, J.Morton, David Sloan, Barry Sanders, Mel Gray(I think)...we had major weapons. David Sloan when not injured was one of the better TEs in the league. Our receivers could catch almost anything...we always had excellent return guys who did spot duty in the slot and then you add in Barry Sanders.

I think we are so obsessed with speed at receiver that we forget that catching the ball helps too and those receivers were extremely consistent in that regards compared to many of the "speed" guys of today. Perrimen was like a 3rd down machine...

When Ross came everyone was a bit long in the tooth and his style just didn't suit the Lions.

March 16th, 2005, 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I loved that team. We had an explosive offense, and then we went to philly. That was a sad game. One of our players even guarnteed a win. I hate the Eagles :cry: :cry:

March 16th, 2005, 11:27 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

March 16th, 2005, 11:29 am
Head Cheerleader

To add to the points made by Legend. In 1995, Herman Moore broke the NFL record for most receptions in a season while getting 1600+ yards (4th most ever at the time)....and who was that QB, Mr. Mitchell. I don't know who wrote it, but he is a f-ing idiot.

March 16th, 2005, 1:45 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The only game that counts is Lions-Eagles, the playoffs. He lost his confidence and went downhill from there. I went to training camp when it was in SVSU and he was a real egotiscal jerk. He would take someone's autograph book walk with it, sign it, and toss it backwards without looking to see if the owner got it. That same day, Luther Ellis came through, had a smile for everybody, posed for pictures, and gave someone his shoe. Makes you think.

March 16th, 2005, 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]