View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 C. Rogers Interview - he carries $30K in his pocket! 
RIP Killer

Post C. Rogers Interview - he carries $30K in his pocket!
http://sports.ign.com/articles/542/5426 ... ?fromint=1

August 27, 2004 - Charles Rogers arrived in the NFL rapping his receiving stats to Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis in the EA Sports rookie commercial during the 2003 NFL draft. That should have been a clue for those who raised an eyebrow when the Lions made him the second player taken in the draft. The kid is not only talented, he has personality to spare.

Last year his season got off to an amazing start as his first two receptions were both for touchdowns. In fact, Rogers had three touchdowns in five games in his early career until his season ended prematurely due to a broken collarbone.

This year he wants to prove he could stay healthy. He wants to prove that his active offseason training regiment will lead to an active season on the field. He wants to prove that there's more where those first two catches came from, even if he isn't rapping about them?not in public, at least.

IGN Sports caught up with Rogers recently in Atlanta, helping out Pro Bowl wide receiver Terrell Owens with his fund raiser to help fight Alzheimer's Disease.

Rogers was getting ready to hoop it up at some celebrity b-ball, but felt like something was missing from his game. That's when he spotted the jewelry case in the corner. Something definitely not found at your local gym or arena.

Avianne's of New York was in the house, and the man himself, "Joey the Jeweler" (not to be confused with Jacob), had some of his nicest pieces on hand for the athletes and celebrities in attendance to purchase.

Nothing like a little bling-bling to set your summer off right.

Rogers picked up a watch, well not just any old watch, lets try Avianne and Co. 2005 flip edition that contains approximately 10CT in round diamonds. That means you have five time zones on one side and one time zone on the other. And that's not all, Rogers also picked up a nice diamond cross charm. The piece is 14KT white gold and contains approximately 12CT in princess cut diamonds.

Rogers dropped $30,000 (pulling the cash, yes the cash out of his pocket) and said okay lets ball. The man was so excited to pick up the exclusive pieces before any of the other celebrities got there hands on the goods that he actually went out and balled in all that jewelry.

Before the game, Rogers sat down to talk about the upcoming season and putting the roar back in Motown.

IGN Sports: How does it feel getting a chance to spend some time with pro bowl players raising money for charity?

Charles Rogers: It's nice to be able to help out with players like Terrell Owens and Charles Woodson along with all these guys helping out this weekend to make it very special. T.O. is a great guy on the field as well as off the field and it feels great to put a smile on some of those folks face. It feels great to be apart of this whole experience helping out for a great cause.

IGN Sports: You have a year under your belt now, what are you looking forward to this year after a rough rookie campaign?

Charles Rogers: I am looking forward to winning more games after going 5-11 last year. We had the 32nd ranking in the league offensively, but for us to have Roy Williams and Kevin Jones now is great. They are great additions to our team and it shows what we are about to do.

IGN Sports: Last year was a short season for you with an injury after a great start. How hard was it for you to sit out the remainder of the season after five games knowing how bad you want to make a different in Detroit?

Charles Rogers: This year I am focused on getting back healthy and winning some ball games. I am trying to bring us back to where we are supposed to be. I am trying to bring back the old Barry Sanders days that were left in Detroit. We have not been to the playoffs since around 1997, so it is not about looking back into the past, it is about looking into the future. Our future for our organization is great because you can see what Steve Mariucci did his first two years as head coach.

IGN Sports: Was there a lot of skepticism from your teammates last year about turning this team around with you and coach Mariucci coming in new along with Joey Harrington being the leader in only his third year for a team that has struggled so much in the past?

Charles Rogers: That is a part of the adversity, that is also a part of life and you have to be willing to take chances like that. A guy like me, I like chances like that. We are a young team but we are going to be going fast, and like I said, we are going to try and put that feeling back in Motown like the Detroit Pistons are putting in Motown right now.

IGN Sports: You came out early into the draft and this past year we had a couple of guys who wanted to come out early but were ruled too young. Should there be an age limit on who can enter the NFL draft or how many years removed from high school before someone can enter the league?

Charles Rogers: When a cat feels like he is ready, then he is ready. But that is another thing, trying to go against the league. The league is bigger than one person. You know what I am saying, that just shows how it is. If anything, I feel more sorry for the kid that wanted to come out from USC than Maurice Clarett, because he was a top ten pick. Even though he still might get some money, being a part of draft day and hearing you name on draft day, that is what it is all about.

IGN Sports: How special is it for you to be playing in Detroit after going to school at Michigan State? Is this a dream come true for you to being playing basically at home?

Charles Rogers: Oh yeah, it is a dream come true for me. I am in my own back yard. I have been a Barry Sanders fan for the longest. I was a little kid watching Barry Sanders on Thanksgiving Day and every Sunday. So to be playing in his home although it is a new stadium, it is his home. We are just trying to start a new generation of a new breed.

IGN Sports: You are good friends with Darius Miles of the NBA Portland Trailblazers, how good of a basketball player are you?

Charles Rogers: I am the NFL's best kept secret and you're going to see that out here today. I'm about to ball out. I am going to give you those K.G. (Kevin Garnett) numbers: 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists.

IGN Sports: Know those are MVP numbers, do you think you can post those numbers?

Charles Rogers: Those are definitely MVP numbers at T.O. (Terrell Owens) court.[laughs]

With the induction of Barry Sanders into the Hall of Fame to start the football season off right, it would be nice to have a healthy Rogers to help restore the roar in the once lightning quick Lions offense. If Williams and Jones can come in and learn coach Mariucci's system quick, this team might just have the hits to have Lion fans dancing in Motown and driving defensive coordinators crazy week after week.

August 28th, 2004, 7:34 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

You know, I haven't really "mugged" anyone lately. :twisted:

August 28th, 2004, 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Now's your chance if you can run a 4.2 in the 40! :lol:

August 29th, 2004, 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]