View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 12:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 School Shooting 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Belive what you want. Kids have it so bad these days. Go to a school and talk to some kids and see what they think.

March 22nd, 2005, 10:52 am
Site Admin

Go to a school and talk to some kids and see what they think.

lol I have..and I talk with my own as well :wink:

btw...I wasn't a kid too long ago myself. Middle School was terrible and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

March 22nd, 2005, 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

I have been teaching for 15 years in what is considered a "poor" socio-economic area in the middle of the state. We have our share of drugs and such, but we also have some really good kids.
I have watched 100's of kids pass through my classroom door, and for the most part I a kid's homelife has the most to do with how he is going to turn out. Those kids that have caring parent(s) THAT ARE INVOLVED IN THEIR CHILD'S LIFE, usually have a better chance in life.
Not those parents that just ask what their kid did at school that day and take their word for it, but ask to see some of their work. Make them prove it to you. THAT SHOWS THAT YOU CARE ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE DOING IN LIFE. Try to monitor, as best as you can, who they are hanging out with. Keep in contact with their teachers, not just at report card time, to see how they are doing. I have to teach English to 150 kids daily and it is impossible to contact every parent very often. But if the phone on my desk rings and it is a parent I find the time to talk to them.

My home life was not the best growing up. No dad. Mom working and gone on dates all of the time, but I had a couple grandparents that cared about me and believed in me, and that meant the world to me.

Kids have to have a caring adult in their life to show them by example (not just tell them) about responsibility, hard work, honesty, caring about people, respecting themselves and others.

I try with my daughter and with the students that I teach, and I feel like I make a difference with a couple students each year. Some have even come back from college to thank me. That means the world to me, but I always wonder who else I could have reached but didn't.

Well, I'm ranting and I missed my lunch.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

March 22nd, 2005, 12:39 pm
Site Admin

BOOYA! I am glad to know there are teachers like you out there. My bro who posts as "Aaron" is a teacher as and although he is a total nob on the boards he is a great teacher that engages with the kids. If teachers who care can make a difference than that speaks volumes about what a parent who cares can do.

Last edited by theAlphaMale on March 22nd, 2005, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 22nd, 2005, 1:05 pm
Profile WWW

March 22nd, 2005, 1:08 pm
Peewee Leaguer

7th grade English and I also do some coaching.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

March 22nd, 2005, 1:28 pm
Site Admin

7th grade English

So did you do something horrific in a former life like burn an orphanage to receive such a karmaic slap in the face? :lol:

March 22nd, 2005, 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

So did you do something horrific in a former life like burn an orphanage to receive such a karmaic slap in the face?

Haha, I take it you don't like teenagers Alpha?

March 22nd, 2005, 1:44 pm
Site Admin

I joke...I just know what a lil smart azz I was in middle school...but once again it was a total survival technique similar to what lionsfanva referenced was why Marilyn Mason got all scary.

In 7th kids are balls of raging hormones is my point.

March 22nd, 2005, 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I remember this kid from my 7th/8th grade english class who was super weird. When the teacher left, he'd walk by the front of the class and randomly drop his pants...and sometimes he'd lick all of the teacher's papers in the front of the room so they would curl up...he was an odd kid. Oh, the last day of school he took a dump on the floor in the classroom. Granted, this is a quite eccentric case of weird kids, but damn...

March 22nd, 2005, 1:54 pm
Site Admin

:lol:

March 22nd, 2005, 1:57 pm
Profile WWW

I teach 8th graders and i see some wild things. Poor kids they arent teenagers and there not kids. I think they are just one big horrmone

March 22nd, 2005, 2:17 pm
Peewee Leaguer

I have been told I am crazy to teach 7th grade, but to be honest I like it. I have had lots of opportunities to move to different grade levels or maybe even the college level, but have elected to stay where I am.

Yes, the kids have a lot of hormones raging. They also have all the drug stuff, drinking, and sex all starting. It is a totally confusing stage for them. (I remember it was hell for me. If the girl next to me had a short skirt on how in was I supposed to concentrate on my schoolwork. And if my parents don't care if I am doing the work, why should I.) As a teacher, I expect a lot, but I also heap praise on them when they get where I want them to be.

They also still have a lot of energy, which can be bad at times, but if you can focus that energy and then stand back and watch, some of the things that they can accomplish is amazing. Even kids that have failed all the way through in school so far, if you can find what motivates them and tune into it, then stand back. For instance, one of my jobs is to teach kids about plot, characters, setting, etc. I'm also supposed to make them better writers, and almost all kids love movies. So to get 2 birds with one stone I have a homework assignment where the kids get to pick any movie their parent approves of and then write a movie critique on it. Because it is often about their favorite movie, most kids do it without even noticing that it is work.

Back to the age group and why I like it. They are still a little susceptible to positive (and negative) influence too. You can still reach a lot of them. They are not quite old enough to all say "f. you" when they are mad at you. They usually haven't given up on themselves or school entirely either. For many of them it is the last chance you have to "salvage" them if things have not gone well in their lives so far. If you can show them that you care and that you appreciate them, and believe in them you can really make a difference. They are still a little bit malleable.

Plus at the elementary grades I'm not into tying shoes and wiping noses.

March 22nd, 2005, 3:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

They are not quite old enough to all say "f. you" when they are mad at you.

Where I went, it, among other things, was said often, becuase the kids thought they were BA's for saying it.

A couple of years ago in 7th grade, there was this kid that had transfered into our school in the middle of the year. He was kind of wierd, and wasn't treated well. Anyway, one day, out of the blue, he starts strangling a buddy of mine. It wasn't provoked, but he had been made fun of quiete a bit. He ended up leaving after that, and I felt like a mofo for never really standing up my friends. Thats the reason middle school is so bad, nobody has enough self confidence to stand up. I remeber the year before that, one of the kids in my class who had Multiple Scriosis was playing 4-square and the other players were deliberately changing the rules while he was in the game to exclude him. That time I did intervene a little, but it was hard. The kids who were doing this weren't bad kids, Catholic school kids and one of the perps was his cousin. Middle School does something to people, I can't understand what it is. I'm glad we have teachers like tmorgan and lionsfanva, who seem to understand better than most teachers. My teacher just talked to us for 5 minutes, and no one was really punished. Thats another reason middle school was so bad, the teacher never really keept people from making fun of me. You guys do good work when youre involved with your students. :D

March 22nd, 2005, 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

Really I think the kids can be problems at times, but I have found that they are the easiest part of my day at times. It's the red-tape the government is throwing at us right now, and some of the uncaring parents that are more of a problem.

March 22nd, 2005, 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next