View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 8:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Morelli's draft version 2.0 
Towel Boy

Post Morelli's draft version 2.0
Are you serious, Lions would take Rolle in a heartbeat if he was still available. We could definately use his skills on the field and he would be an instant starter at corner or safety on our team. I would even agree with us trading up a spot or two to land him.

March 23rd, 2005, 6:24 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Morelli's draft version 2.0
FuShinickens wrote:
Are you serious, Lions would take Rolle in a heartbeat if he was still available. We could definately use his skills on the field and he would be an instant starter at corner or safety on our team. I would even agree with us trading up a spot or two to land him.

Fu - love the name man. Very cool! I'm a fan of Rolle's, in fact I'm quite surprised how many folks are picking Pac Man to go ahead of him. In Mike's article it wasn't simply a matter of passing on Rolle, you need to look at the entire trade (and Mikes a big fan of trading).

Quote:
Detroit sends #10 & #72 to Kansas City for #15, #46 & original 5th round

So there are a few other factors to consider. Also, as big of a fan of Rolle as I am, the Lions have been big spenders in FA on the CB position with Bly and Bryant. They also drafted Smith last year in the 3rd round and like his talent. Then add in Cash and Goodman (both RFAs at this point) and it doesn't look like a position of need.

We already have Kennedy at the SS position. While I could see Rolle playing FS, it is always a bit of a reach to draft a guy to switch positions.

I don't see the Lions trading up to get him and I don't think he will last till the 10th pick, so it may be a mute point anyway. He does look like a stud CB to me though.

March 23rd, 2005, 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm confused with the Cinci pick. It says they're stacked at everything except receiver and they might as well draft one for the future even if they bring in a big FA...but they're picking Travis Johnson, a DT. Not sure what you mean, clarification?

22 Cincinnati Bengals (BAL) Travis Johnson DE Florida State
This team is stacked except for at receiver, so even if they do bring a big name free agent they might as well draft one for the future, it's their biggest hole.

March 23rd, 2005, 7:21 pm
Towel Boy

Thanks man, I see where you're coming from about Corner not being a huge need right now, but I think we have a lot of servicible, non-playmakering types right now except for Bly. I still think we need another playmaking type like Rolle. I just think he is going to be a very solid player at this level. Althought I believe you are right that he won't be there at #10 anyway and the lions wouldn't trade up for someone unless they were in dire need ( a la Kevin Jones last year). But as the mock went I still don't like the trade. I think in that hypothetical situation we could just as easily made a deal with dallas or San diego, only moved down a couple spots and got Alex Barron. Although everyone has different opinions about how the lions should draft this year. I just hope Harrington pulls it together and we kick some Butt!

March 23rd, 2005, 7:54 pm
RIP Killer

I just hope Harrington pulls it together and we kick some Butt!

Don't we all! :idea:

Each mock is just one writers thoughts. We have a few others in our draft section:

http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=draft

Although, a number of these are outdated after FA. BTW - we will be releasing another mock tomorrow or Friday - haven't made up my mind yet (probably tomorrow).

You can also see who other sites are picking for the Lions in there mock drafts under the section "Other 2005 Mock Drafts" from the draft page as well. Both Draft Ace and Draft Daddy are picking Rolle for the Lions the last time I checked.

Quote:
I'm confused with the Cinci pick. It says they're stacked at everything except receiver and they might as well draft one for the future even if they bring in a big FA...but they're picking Travis Johnson, a DT. Not sure what you mean, clarification?

Good catch - actually Mike turned in his first version of his second mock in the middle of FA. By the time I got it ready to post, everything had changed (like the Lions signing of Kennedy and Pollard). Mike updated his draft and I simply missed it. The change should have read:

"The Bengals need someone in the middle that can rush the passer. Johnson had a great senior season and showed that he is the top tackle available this year."

Mike was brave to try to do a mock during the first two weeks of FA. We had to change around everything by the time it was ready to publish. :oops: [/quote]

March 23rd, 2005, 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I might take a stab at a mock in late april, after the FA is all settled down :lol: . I don't understand what happened with the Bronco's 3rd rounder though.

March 23rd, 2005, 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I am not that high on Rolle- for the top 10 anyway. The stud cover corners have that quick twitch. He does not have that elite explosion. He might be a decent player and could develop into a Pro Bowl free safety, but I think there are too many better prospects for him to go in the top 10. Very few safeties and TE merit a top 10 pick historically speaking.

March 23rd, 2005, 9:45 pm
RIP Killer

Pablo, I had a 2 round mock almost done after the first week of FA and scrapped it. I'll probably slap one together next week sometime.

Mocks are pretty much a waste of time during the first few weeks of FA...when a team you had selecting a WR in the top 15 just signs a solid #2 man to go along with a stud #1 for example. So, I agree.

March 23rd, 2005, 9:50 pm
RIP Killer

I might take a stab at a mock in late april, after the FA is all settled down :lol: . I don't understand what happened with the Bronco's 3rd rounder though.

Let's see what you got! :?:

Denver lost its third-round pick in September because of salary cap violations in the late 1990s.

March 23rd, 2005, 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

22 Cincinnati Bengals (BAL) Travis Johnson DE Florida State
This team is stacked except for at receiver, so even if they do bring a big name free agent they might as well draft one for the future, it's their biggest hole.

Actually something happened between the time I wrote the article and it got posted. There was some sort of error, I apologize. Obviously the Bengals really don't have a need for a receiver, but have HUGE needs along the defensive line, hence the pick.

March 24th, 2005, 12:37 am
RIP Killer

The Denver Broncos violated the leagues salary cap rule. I forgot which year it happened in, but it did happen, they went over the cap and tried to cover it up by cooking their books. As a result the league fined the team and has them forfeiting their third round pick in this years draft.

And now the Broncos get awarded two third rounders for free agency compensation :!: :lol:

March 24th, 2005, 12:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]