View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 COMP picks for the draft awarded 
RIP Killer

The formula, which is a closely guarded secret for some reason, takes into account a players performance from the previous year. Let's say that Brian Walker were a free agent, since he spent the entire year on the IR it is doubtful the Lions would receiver any significant compensation for him if nothing else happened for them in free agency. You have to remember it's a combination of who was signed by the team versus who was signed away from the team. I don't think traded players are included in this formula since the compensation is considered to be part of the trade.

I agree that quality can come out of the third round, but once again I ask the question, would you rather have Mike Wahle or take a chance on a late third round pick to replace him? Compensatory picks were developed as part of the collective bargaining agreement to help maintain parity in the league, same as the salary cap and free agency. It does not take into account a teams performance, nor should it. The reason there are no guaranteed contracts or 'no trade clauses' in the NFL is to allow teams to trade and release players that aren't performing to their level of pay, and allow the teams to seek free agents to improve their roster.

March 23rd, 2005, 10:34 pm
RIP Killer

Wahle was cut to free up cap space. Rivera was a FA.

I thought cuts didn't factor into the compensation, only when contracts expired and a player was lost via FA. If that's the case Tennessee should have all of those third round picks.

March 23rd, 2005, 10:40 pm
RIP Killer

My bad....... I put in the wrong name. You are correct, only players lost as unrestricted free agents figure into the equation. I don't believe restricted free agents are figured in as there is usually some level of compensation involved as determined by the team.

March 23rd, 2005, 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2