View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Drafting a RB 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Drafting a RB
Word was that Rathman was enamored with U of MN's RB. I wouldn't mind a RB prospect in the second or third round or even earlier if we trade down. Obviously KJ established himself, but he also had a few injuries. Those injuries were no accident either. The way he runs he takes a lot of hits. Getting a high end running back would provide good insurance when KJ is out and if he ever suffers a catastrophic injury. Pinner is tough, but I look at him more as a FB now. He is not quite enough of a gamebreaker. With so many RBs on the market in FA and possibly 2 going in the top 10, you have to figure that a sleeper prospect could drop to the third round. The supply situation is a bit unusual this year and you can never have enough RBs. We do not have great depth in the offensive backfield and lots of injury issues with all our players there so I think upgrading would be a good idea if the right guy fell to us.

March 24th, 2005, 5:26 am
NFL Veteran

As long as we don't touch a first round RB... I'm perfectly fine with adding quality depth.

There are far too many examples of there not being enough room for two stud backs on one team. And only one example of a one-two punch in San Francisco.

A team with Jamaal Lewis had no room for Priest Holmes
A team with Willis McGahee has no room for Travis Henry
and we go full circle
A team with Priest Holmes which drafted a first round Back in Larry Johnson has him demanding a trade because he's not going to crack the lineup.

It's a different story if you are grooming a succesor. It doesn't work otherwise.

We would create that scenario if we selected any of Ronnie Brown, Cadillac or Benson. Eventually one of them or KJ would have to go... equating to a wasted first round pick.

So as long as Barber knows he's not going to be the number one guy, I have no qualms with him as long as we're getting him for good value.

March 24th, 2005, 7:17 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Barber definately won't last until round 3. He'll go in the 2nd. He's been climbing up the boards.

March 24th, 2005, 8:30 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

We have had too many draft suggestions and not enough rounds. I have heard suggestion to draft oline, rb, wr, qb and de in the later rounds. What positions will we really target in the later rounds? I think we get mcphearson, a wr, and one or two oliners. Thoughts?

March 24th, 2005, 9:08 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Well, we only have 6 picks and would like to get people at FS, DE, QB, WR, TE, OT, DT, and possibly RB. Granted, we will more than likely have to take the BPA at any given pick because some super value pick will fall to us in some round. So we'll probably get to fill 5 of those positions out of the 8 that we could use depth at.

BTW, I think Bryson is a good #2 back. He gives quality effort and has a good YPC. Granted, he could be upgraded, but we could always do it next year.

March 24th, 2005, 9:18 am
Varsity Captain

March 24th, 2005, 9:23 am
Site Admin

I have to say negative on the RB. While with FA and the team shaping up we can take some liberties drafting we also have to be responsible and build our depth. Unlike in previous years if KJ goes down I have some comfort in Bryson, Pinner, and Corey S. being able to move the chains especially since we have receivers (at least one) who warrent respect.

March 24th, 2005, 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]