View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 DJs Pro Day Results 
RIP Killer

Post DJs Pro Day Results
I've been in Austin the past couple of days and was following the media closely to find out DJs Pro Day results. The media down here was all about Benson - uggh! Anyway, found this on NFL.com...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8320534

Texas' Johnson thinking big ?
?
By Dave Richard
NFL.com

(March 23, 2005) -- Texas outside linebacker Derrick Johnson, one of the premier defensive players in the 2005 NFL Draft, recently completed his Pro Day at his school's campus in Austin, Texas. The 6-foot-3?, 242-pound Johnson just lifted weights and did position drills, but at the combine he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 seconds (the average at his position was nearly 4.70). Immediately following his workout, Johnson talked to NFL.com about performing in front of dozens of scouts and thinking about his future as a professional athlete.

What are your impressions of how you did at Texas' Pro Day?

Johnson: I think I really cemented myself as the best linebacker in the country and one of the top defensive players in the draft. I want to get picked as close to No. 1 as possible. That's the plan.

Do you view the draft as a competition among the defensive players?

Johnson: It's always a competition. Football is a sport and so is the draft process. That's how I look at it. I was just focused on doing my drills and getting my stats to the best possible time.

After the workout, did any of the NFL coaches and scouts come up to you and say anything that made an impression?

Johnson: They did. Some of them told me they had never seen a linebacker move the way I was moving as far as my hips. They said my backpedal was as good as a defensive back's, so that's always good for a linebacker coach to tell you. There were five or six coaches who were complimentary.

Derrick Johnson thinks he put himself in position to be the first defender taken in the draft. ?You probably get asked this a lot, but which teams do you think are showing the most interest in you?

Johnson: Well, coaches from Minnesota and Miami worked me out after I lifted. I think the front runners based on the rumors I've been hearing are Tampa Bay, Tennessee and Cleveland.

It sounds like you're into following where you might end up. Do you ever catch yourself daydreaming about your future or picture yourself in different team uniforms?

Johnson: Well, yeah. That's just reality. You always think about what team you're going to go to and think about how you would feel in that jersey. It's all part of a fun opportunity to fulfill your dreams.

And now that your workout is over, what are you going to do with yourself between now and the draft?

Johnson: I'm going to work out and follow a regimen. The hard work is pretty much out of the way. It's up to the teams to see who they want.

-------------------------------------------------------------

FYI - the Lions Cory Redding (of Texas) was in town and in attendance at the Pro Day event. In total, 75 scouts and coaches from 27 teams were in attendance. Also - Johnson passed on lifting at the combine but pressed 225 lbs 21 times at his Pro Day.

BTW - Benson was 5-10 3/8 and 225 pounds. He had a long jump of 9-foot-8 and a 33-inch vertical jump. He lifted the strength bar 18 times. In the 40, he was timed as low as 4.51 and as high as 4.59.
?

March 24th, 2005, 11:40 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

March 24th, 2005, 11:52 am
Site Admin

P I M P, that's all I have to say.

Me too. Lets get em!

March 24th, 2005, 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]