View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 5:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 1st Round DEs 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post 1st Round DEs
I'm of the belief that the Lions should trade down between 1.15 and 1.23. In doing so, how do you rank the 1st round DEs for the Lions?

The Lions should draft DE with great pass rushing skills at the same time not being aliability on the run. I also think he should fit the prototypical mold of a DE, not a tweener.

Thoughts? Ranks?

March 24th, 2005, 1:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Well, I agree in general. I guess it would all depend on the particulars of the situation. Who is available at #10 and what is offered for moving back? Moving back one spot to get a top 10 playmaker with a second round pick is a no brainer. Relative to your scheme, it does seem that the 15-23 range would get us the #1 or #2 and at worst #3 DE. Also, as I said earlier, this draft is unusually deep so maximizing the number of first day picks seems like a winning strategy. Also, at DE and CB especially, it is pretty hard to say who will turn out to be the best prospect ultimately.

As for DEs I think Pollack, James, and Merriman are in the top tier. There are issues with each and you would have to access better sources than the work out numbers to figure out who would fit better in what scheme.

March 24th, 2005, 1:54 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

I read somewhere recently that Pollack dropped out of favor because of Georgia's pro day. They speculated that he'd drop to the 2nd round.

I'll try and find a link.

March 24th, 2005, 1:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I saw that. Track it down. I thought it was profootballtalk or something like that. However, those antics was classic rat like behavior. I am sure that did not deter Millen in the least. If that knocks him down for others, which I doubt, than I am all for it. In my opinion there are too many good citizens on the Lions. Since Spielman we have not had that intense warrior we so desperately need. If this guy is out there I could not care in the least so long as he is 100% dedicated to football. There is a big difference between the "character" of someone I would let date my daughter and the "character" of someone I would want to play defense.

March 24th, 2005, 2:04 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

It was profootballtalk.com, but the article seems to be gone now.

March 24th, 2005, 3:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
RIP Killer

I posted this in another board in the forum, but this is what I had mentioned earlier on this topic...

Top DEs in the draft...obviously all won't be taken in the first round...half won't even go in the first round and all would be good opposite Hall on the DL.

Erasmus James Wisconsin 6-41/8 266 4.74
Marcus Spears L.S.U. 6-4 307 4.80
Shawne Merriman Maryland 6-43/8 272 4.66
David Pollack Georgia 6-21/8 265 4.79
Dan Cody Oklahoma 6-51/2 254 4.75
Justin Tuck Notre Dame 6-5 268 4.68
Demarcus Ware Troy 6-4 251 4.56
Matt Roth Iowa 6-33/4 278 4.80

March 24th, 2005, 3:16 pm
RIP Killer

There are pros and cons to each DE and none is a perfect stud to warrant a #10 pick IMO. Some just didn't play against top level competition...it's a toss up and everyone's got their favorite. Mine would be Spears in the first or Roth in the 2nd (if he were to fall which I doubt).

March 24th, 2005, 3:16 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Am I being unfare to assume the Lions don't need a tweener like Spears, Merriman, Tuck or Ware? All guys who might be better suited for a 3-4 or even at the OLB position.

March 24th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
RIP Killer

Merriman for example, is bigger and faster than Erasmus James, how is he possibly considered a tweener? Same with Spears, he's a mammoth but he he can rush the QB, he could play either DT or DE. Tuck and Ware could possibly play OLB, but have better moves suited for a DE. Only thing with them is that they're somewhat small. I personally don't see any difference for a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DE and nobody's ever given me a logical answer as to what the difference is.

March 24th, 2005, 4:03 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Yeah, I don't follow college all too much and this is the first year I've become a geek about the draft. I have been leaning away from the tweeners for logical reasons, which may very well be illogical.

You'd think that if multiple personalities are lableing these guys as tweeners you want a full fledged DE instead.

conversion02 wrote:
Merriman for example, is bigger and faster than Erasmus James, how is he possibly considered a tweener? Same with Spears, he's a mammoth but he he can rush the QB, he could play either DT or DE. Tuck and Ware could possibly play OLB, but have better moves suited for a DE. Only thing with them is that they're somewhat small. I personally don't see any difference for a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DE and nobody's ever given me a logical answer as to what the difference is.

March 24th, 2005, 4:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Kirwan has an interesting piece on "explosion". This is interesting because Merriman and Pollack both grade high, as do Tuck and Ware. A lot of pundits have these DE prospects sprawled from 15-40, but I wonder if they may not be better players than some more hyped players at other positions?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8322692

March 24th, 2005, 4:36 pm
League MVP

I think James, a true DE in college has shown he can play the position while a lot of the tweeners have simply been blitz linebackers. They do not have as refined pass rush techniques which they will need when going against better NFL lineman. They have relied mostly on their speed to run around college tackles and wont get a running start or as much time to get to the passer in the NFL. They have had minimal run responsibility in college which could get them exposed in the NFL. If Lions went D-line though I would consider Marcus Spears or Shaune Merriman. We already have 2 classic DEs in Hall and Redding, I think highly of both. Spears would then be a candidate to eventually move to tackle when Wilkinson moves on. Merriman's size, strength and athleticism is very impressive and I think he can make the transition to DE nicely and be more than a situational pass rusher (Tuck, Ware). Redding would still be a DT candidate in that situation. Havent seen much of Roth or Cody to make judgements on them.

March 27th, 2005, 3:59 pm
RIP Killer

Roth and Cody are similar. Both have relentless motors that never stop, give 110% on every down, good against the run and have good, but limited pass rushing skills. Neither is a strong pass rusher like Erasmus James or a very good run blocker like Marcus Spears. They're better all around DEs.

March 27th, 2005, 6:01 pm
NFL Team Captain

I like the pick of Spears for the sheer fact of versatility. If he dosen't work out as a stellar DE, he can be moved inside with Big Baby and that would be a very formidable combo at DT. Plus it would fill a hole that will need to be addressed in next years FA or draft (DT) and leave us free to pursue the quality DE that would comeplete a fine Dline.

March 28th, 2005, 6:18 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Plus it would fill a hole that will need to be addressed in next years FA or draft (DT) and leave us free to pursue the quality DE that would comeplete a fine Dline.

Only issue I have with that is IF the Lions make the playoffs, they will not pick until 20 or later. By then the best DE's will be gone. I think we should get one this year! Merrimen or Spears are my picks.

March 29th, 2005, 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next