View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Red Hat Linux? 
Site Admin

Post Red Hat Linux?
Anyone got any experience with Linux? argue.gif

Last edited by theAlphaMale on March 26th, 2005, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 24th, 2005, 11:53 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Yeah, I use Suse Linux as my #2 OS. Occasionally use RH (when I'm at school). If it's a question about partioning drives during installation, count me out! lol

March 24th, 2005, 11:55 am
Site Admin

lol...no it is prolly much simpler than all that. We have a old box here and it had Windows 2000 on it and was doing nothing so I thought I would through linux on it cause I should learn new stuff. So I installed it just fine (Red Hat vr 7.2) but I have no idea how to open files that are compressed with like .gz extentions. When I click to open Firefox I dwnloaded I get the message

"Nautilus has no installed viewer capable of displaying (and then it lists the file and its path)"

I know I can right click on it and attempt to open/associate it with another file but I dont know if I have what I need. It also has a crappy old version of netscape and yet I cannot update it to the version I downloaded because I get the same issue. Do I have to run them from the command line or what?

<--Linux n00b

March 24th, 2005, 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

As for Nautilus being pissed off...I can't really help you because I don't have RH on any of my computers, but I can take a stab. I have Suse, but it's not the same. I'll see what I can figure out though. Suse by the way, is MUCH easier!!!

By convention, compressed files are given the extension .gz. The command Gzip creates a compressed file ending with .gz; Gunzip extracts the compressed files and removes the .gz file. (.tar files are archived files)

To compress a file, at a shell prompt, type the following command:
gzip filename.ext

The file will be compressed and saved as filename.ext.gz.

To expand a compressed file, type:
gunzip filename.ext.gz

The filename.ext.gz is deleted and replaced with filename.ext.

My guess for the nautlius viewer problem is that a file that you need for the viewer is compressed.

You have to:
1- Move the file to a temporary directory
2- Uncompress and unarchive with tar xvfz YourFile.tar.gz
Take a look inside the archive, you will find readme files, setup
scripts and other goodies.

If you do not like command line, launch karchive (KDE). It will be able
to open the package.

March 25th, 2005, 9:06 am
RIP Killer

March 26th, 2005, 11:43 am
Site Admin

Well I was doing it at work and I had Friday off so until Tuesday I won't have a chance to check...I am trying to set up a test web server using apache but I will check as soon as I get back. But thanks for the info!headbang.gif

March 26th, 2005, 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]