View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 DJ and the RBs 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post DJ and the RBs
The only way I see DJ falling to the Lions at #10 is if all three RBs fall before us. Some mocks have that happening, but I do not see it transpiring. While all those guys are top 10 prospects and at least three teams have a need at that position I would be surprised to see them all go that early. There are of course big name RBs on the market, but more importantly there are some good later prospects. I do not think that MN will draft Dj and they could draft a RB, which would help us. The real danger is Denny Green. I know his tendencies pretty well. Although they may seem to need a RB, he takes the best available athlete. It seems unlikely DJ would last past #8. Of course, he might trade the pick away, and he could also take Alex Smith, but I think Cleveland will consider him strongly. With these dynamics the chance of DJ falling to #10 are slim.

March 27th, 2005, 11:20 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm no expert on the Cards, so I don't know how confident Denny is in their qb, but they need a good running game to go with their two stud wrs. If I were them, I would draft Rodgers or Smith if they fall.

March 27th, 2005, 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I just dont see the talent in DJ as you guy's do,he relies soley on his move and often misses and results in a big gain and he isnt that great at tackling either....

Michael Huff for DROY

March 27th, 2005, 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

DJ is da man. From what I have seen of him, he is an excellent tackler. But I respect your opinion.

March 27th, 2005, 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He tackles low which is good, but I've seen a lot of his game film and he does make a lot of arm tackles...as well as diving tackles.

March 27th, 2005, 1:50 pm
NFL Veteran

I don't think it's necessarily only the RB's.

I think what's more telling is whether or not teams rate DJ as the best Defensive Prospect in the draft.

If there are more teams who share the opinion as Harrington is da man... then he has a shot at dropping. If not then the chances aren't good.

The only players who might be rated higher than DJ are Rolle and Adam Jones... then that increases the likelihood for DJ to fall.

Also the nearly consensus opinion that Ronnie Brown has been penciled in at the number 2 begins the process for RB's to go early.

March 27th, 2005, 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I just dont see the talent in DJ as you guy's do,he relies soley on his move and often misses and results in a big gain and he isnt that great at tackling either....

Well maybe if you read some of the stuff... you might respect our opinion more.

http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=articles& ... lb-johnson
http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=articles&sub=050321-dj
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=838

I mean everything you've raised about DJ I just don't agree with. For a guy who has had 79, 119, 125, and 130 tackles respectively in his career I just don't see how you can say he isn't great at tackling. You may have seen his kamikaze plays... but there are more than enough plays which you've probably never seen where his tackling is sound, and textbook. Heck I think if you think DJ's tackling is bad... then that doesn't bode well for the rest of the defensive prospects in the draft, because DJ is the best tackler in this draft.

And DJ giving up a big play? I don't doubt that it's ever happened... but if you look at his body of work, he's made an infintesimal amount of big plays over giving up a couple of big one's.

I honestly don't see how anyone can knock DJ.

March 27th, 2005, 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

DJ is a sure tackler but he does tend to dive and leave his feet rather then driving through with his legs. Doesnt use his shoulder pads much and therefore doesnt deliver much of a blow but he rakes and punches at the ball, forcing loads of turnovers. He is great in coverage. Defenders that come up with INTs, force fumbles, and can keep the outside contained are tough to come by. The guy is a playmaker. His problem will be with teams running at him and avoiding fullbacks, o-linemen and other types of lead blockers that he didnt face much in college playing against mostly option teams trying to take the outside.

March 27th, 2005, 3:32 pm

It would seem logical to pencil a RB for Miami. But they are talking to Ricky Williams. Also, I could really see them taking Alex Smith. They do not really have a QB, and he really put a up a wow workout.

DJ will not be the top defensive player on the board of even most teams I suspect. However, what really matters is if he is the top guy on one team in the top 10. A lot of those teams are leaning offense, but. . .

As I said, having lived in MN so long, I got a good feel for what Denny likes. He would take Anderson if he fell to him, but otherwise I do not know who he would take other than DJ or Pacman. He likes athleticism above all. All those three guys are the top athletes at their position.

March 27th, 2005, 6:24 pm
Towel Boy

Post DJ
Very rarely does a linebacker go top ten. It's an easier spot to fill later in the draft. So I think DJ will be there at ten. Whether the lions take him is another matter. I suppose it comes down to what the front office thinks about Bailey's long-term durability and Lewis' potential. My educated guess is that the Lion's swap w/ KC, which moves up to take Pac Man or Rolle, and DJ goes the the Cowboys at 11.

March 27th, 2005, 7:02 pm

History suggests just that: in the last ten years only a few LBers went in the top 10 and many of them were pass rushers. There are a number of strange factors at work in this draft, however. First, off the top ten does not seem as blue chip as normal. Second, there are not a lot of defensive playmakers. As I said, I think Arizona is the greatest threat to take DJ barring a trade.

March 27th, 2005, 8:08 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Ive already read them three articles a while ago and it still doesnt change my opinion...

Michael Huff for DROY

March 28th, 2005, 11:26 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Zona needs a RB and a QB. Nobody can seriously say Warner is a long term solution. Granted, if they draft a QB, that would make Navarre a worthless late round pick. McCown will stay and be #2. Warner won't last for more than another 2 years.

Zona most likely won't take DJ. They need a couple key offensive players and Rolle and Pac-Man are tempting. Macklin and Starks are solid, but they need better depth.

March 28th, 2005, 11:44 am

You are applying good logic, but as I tried to argue, I doubt you are thinking like Green. Remember last year they passed on a franchise QB to take another WR.

March 28th, 2005, 11:53 am
RIP Killer

That's true, but McCown was thought to be the answer and I personally thought picking Fitz at #3 was stupid. I would have rather taken Taylor or Rivers.

March 28th, 2005, 12:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next