View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 5:44 am



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Bring on the Heat. 
Author Message
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Joined: March 22nd, 2005, 8:42 pm
Posts: 3811
Post 
Throw Flip under the bus!

There were two critical moments in the second and third quarters with Wade on the Bench and the Pistons leading or even, where the team suddenly had no offensive set. If they had gotten a Larry Brown set play for a few trips they could have opened up a ten point lead and changed the dynamic of the game.

I do not understand why people are so optimistic. The problems evident against Cleveland were magnified against a more versatile team. We have to contend with a lot more threats on defense, and Miami already showed a host of favorable match ups: Payton on rip, Walker on Prince, Zo on Ben, even Williams on Billups. True, the Pistons will have an easier time scoring with Shaq on the court, and Wallace and McDyess will be more of a factor in this series, but the match up game stinks, the Pistons offense has no identity when the three pointer is contested, and they do not have a player who can consistently make their own shot. The Piston players have great heart, but this is not the same team and I just do not see how they can win. If Miami fine tunes their offense and plays Shaq roughly and sparingly in the first and third quarters before inserting Posey and a quick line-up, the Pistons will not have an answer.

_________________
Far and away from the sound and the fury. . .


May 24th, 2006, 2:27 pm
Profile
Post 
Yorick wrote:
Throw Flip under the bus!

There were two critical moments in the second and third quarters with Wade on the Bench and the Pistons leading or even, where the team suddenly had no offensive set. If they had gotten a Larry Brown set play for a few trips they could have opened up a ten point lead and changed the dynamic of the game.

I do not understand why people are so optimistic. The problems evident against Cleveland were magnified against a more versatile team. We have to contend with a lot more threats on defense, and Miami already showed a host of favorable match ups: Payton on rip, Walker on Prince, Zo on Ben, even Williams on Billups. True, the Pistons will have an easier time scoring with Shaq on the court, and Wallace and McDyess will be more of a factor in this series, but the match up game stinks, the Pistons offense has no identity when the three pointer is contested, and they do not have a player who can consistently make their own shot. The Piston players have great heart, but this is not the same team and I just do not see how they can win. If Miami fine tunes their offense and plays Shaq roughly and sparingly in the first and third quarters before inserting Posey and a quick line-up, the Pistons will not have an answer.


Personally I disagree about the matchups... Chauncey just needs to start playing some damn defense and someone needs to tell him that... He bodies up, but lets 'em blow right by with their first move... I think all of those matchups can favor us... But I think Chauncy should guard Payton and Rip on Wade...


May 24th, 2006, 3:09 pm
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: March 3rd, 2005, 2:19 pm
Posts: 577
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Yorick wrote:
We have to contend with a lot more threats on defense, and Miami already showed a host of favorable match ups: Payton on rip, Walker on Prince, Zo on Ben, even Williams on Billups.


Personally I disagree about the matchups... Chauncey just needs to start playing some damn defense and someone needs to tell him that... He bodies up, but lets 'em blow right by with their first move... I think all of those matchups can favor us... But I think Chauncy should guard Payton and Rip on Wade...


I also disagree with this assesment of the matchups. I had to work and missed the game, so my opinion is based on watching a ton of basketball over the entire season: I think each of these matchups favor the Pistons on both sides of the ball (the obvious exception being 'Zo's offense over Ben's). I know Walker and Payton have played well lately, but these guys are washed up and can both be described as disastrous in toto over the course of the season (and their last couple postseasons). Histories like that do not simply improve at this stage of these guys' careers.

BTW, I also agree with the public indictments of Flip and Tony F. Delk. Both guys have hurt this team badly over the past month or so. Flip waits way to long to realize problems and address them. He didn't really make a bold coaching move against CLE until mid way through game 5 (and leaving 'Sheed on the bench for the rest of the game with only 4 fouls and the team struggling to score was assinine).
Delk is terrible on this team. Nothing more to say. Don't need to support the statement because anybody who has seen this team with him and without him knows exactly what I mean.

MIA will not shoot 75% in a quarter again. Wade will definitely not shoot 9 for 11 again. And if Flip can earn just one paycheck this week, he will point out the HUGE advantage the Pistons will have if they simply PUMP FAKE when the defenders run out to guard their threes and drive and dish depending on what Shaq or 'Zo gives 'em.

Finally, I disagree that the Pistons do not have a go-to scorer. They have 2 (maybe 3). Anybody who has watched either of the last 2 playoffs knows that 'go-to guy' is Rip. Sometimes he misses. He has been uncharacteristically cold over the last several games. It happens.

'Sheed is go-to guy #2. With his versatility, he is nearly impossible for anybody not named Kevin Garnett to guard consistently. The problem that has developed is that Flip has allowed him to slide back into that easy familiar routine of hanging around the perimeter looking for 'long guns,' which takes away his presence underneath on the boards, where he would get easy put backs in postseasons past.

Lastly, name me one player on MIA (or any team for that matter) who can guard Chauncey when he puts the ball on the floor and gives a pump fake or two (you know when he gets all herky-jerky, and guys just run into him from every direction and he flicks up a shot for an 'and-one' chance).

I didn't have to watch last night's game to understand where the problem was: 33 pts in the first quarter and the FG %s for MIA show quite simply that Detroit's trademark D was absent. That is a hustle thing. For some reason, this team needs a wall behind them before they expend themselves fully to this end.

No need to wig out yet. From this, the chief pessimist, the prediction remains rosy (and unchanged): Pistons in 7.

_________________
"With the second pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Calvin Johnson, WR from Georgia Tech."

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.


May 24th, 2006, 5:15 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
Excellent analysis BB!

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


May 24th, 2006, 8:37 pm
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: January 10th, 2006, 6:08 pm
Posts: 531
Post 
blueblood1 wrote:
BTW, I also agree with the public indictments of Flip and Tony F. Delk. Both guys have hurt this team badly over the past month or so. Flip waits way to long to realize problems and address them. He didn't really make a bold coaching move against CLE until mid way through game 5 (and leaving 'Sheed on the bench for the rest of the game with only 4 fouls and the team struggling to score was assinine).
Delk is terrible on this team. Nothing more to say. Don't need to support the statement because anybody who has seen this team with him and without him knows exactly what I mean.

I dont see how the pistons are worse with Delk. During the season he played very well off the bench.
In 16 mpg he averaged 7.8 pts, 1.4 assists, shooting .444 FG% and .426 3pt%...very good numbers off the bench

He hasnt been as good during the postseason but...1) nobody has played well lately and 2) he hasnt gotten enough minutes

as for Flip. if you think about it, at this point he has done a better job than Larry Brown did...In 2004 the pistons were in the exact same situation. they won in Rd 1 in five games easily. in Rd 2 they went down 2-3 against then nets and won games 6&7 to take the series. then in the Eastern Finals they lost game 1...The only difference between Flip and LB is...the pistons played better during the regular season under Flip

having said that i dont like Flips offensive playcalling. They need to run rip off screens on the baseline more, they dont run the high pick and roll with Chauncey and Sheed anymore, and they need to post Sheed and McD more. The pistons arent getting enough easy layups, instead they are settling for too many jumpshots, and that just isnt reliable enough in the post season. They are also running way too many Isos w/ rip...thats not his game. he should be running the baseline comming off screens and catching and shooting. They should also have Tayshaun drive more often.

Most importantly, They need to hit a frickin shot. they couldnt make anything in the fourth quarter against miami and it cost them the game. They're getting some very good looks, they just gotta hit it...thats not Flips fault, the players just need to make the shots.

Either way...I still can't see the pistons not winning it all this year.

_________________
In Rod we trust


May 25th, 2006, 6:15 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
The Stones are looking a lot better tonight!


May 25th, 2006, 9:27 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 7:42 pm
Posts: 684
Location: some beach, somewhere
Post 
They know it is a must win game and showing it..happy to see the bench getting some mins in.. only up by 10 with 6:44 left and we are going cold


May 25th, 2006, 10:23 pm
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: January 10th, 2006, 6:08 pm
Posts: 531
Post 
Did anyone else notice that early in the game the pistons had a lot more LAYUPS. something they didnt have against the cavs, and in game 1 against Miami. Offensively they went back to the basics, easy layups, Rip running the baseline and comming off screens. Still waiting for Chauncey to get it together, he's been playing poorly for the past few games now.

_________________
In Rod we trust


May 25th, 2006, 11:11 pm
Profile
Post 
DMorgan wrote:
I dont see how the pistons are worse with Delk. During the season he played very well off the bench.
In 16 mpg he averaged 7.8 pts, 1.4 assists, shooting .444 FG% and .426 3pt%...very good numbers off the bench

He hasnt been as good during the postseason but...1) nobody has played well lately and 2) he hasnt gotten enough minutes

as for Flip. if you think about it, at this point he has done a better job than Larry Brown did...In 2004 the pistons were in the exact same situation. they won in Rd 1 in five games easily. in Rd 2 they went down 2-3 against then nets and won games 6&7 to take the series. then in the Eastern Finals they lost game 1...The only difference between Flip and LB is...the pistons played better during the regular season under Flip

having said that i dont like Flips offensive playcalling. They need to run rip off screens on the baseline more, they dont run the high pick and roll with Chauncey and Sheed anymore, and they need to post Sheed and McD more. The pistons arent getting enough easy layups, instead they are settling for too many jumpshots, and that just isnt reliable enough in the post season. They are also running way too many Isos w/ rip...thats not his game. he should be running the baseline comming off screens and catching and shooting. They should also have Tayshaun drive more often.

Most importantly, They need to hit a frickin shot. they couldnt make anything in the fourth quarter against miami and it cost them the game. They're getting some very good looks, they just gotta hit it...thats not Flips fault, the players just need to make the shots.

Either way...I still can't see the pistons not winning it all this year.


We're worse off with Delk because of the shots he takes... Like I said in my earlier post... Delk's season numbers LIE!... They look decent because he made a good portion of the GARBAGE shots he took. Delk is a chucker... It seems like the players don't even want to pass to him when he's in there... He doesn't know how to move around and take a defender with him... Or, if he does... he doesn't do it... He seems to be a very selfish player. He is more apt to get open than to help someone get open. He shoots the damn ball the majority of times he touches it... He doesn't pay attention to the time clock or game situation... He doesn't care if we're up by 10 and there's 20 left on the clock... He shoots anyways...

Again, in regards to Brown, the numbers LIE!... We were MUCH better off with LB than with Flip. Why? Because LB knows how to game plan. LB knows how to prepare. LB knows how to create mis-matches. And most of all, LB knows how to call plays and knows who to put in there when we're in a funk. Flip has done an aweful job so far, regardless of record or numbers. Comparitively Flip can't hold LB's clipboard...


May 25th, 2006, 11:15 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: April 27th, 2005, 3:26 pm
Posts: 1775
Post 
Whew! Thank god we played much better in game 2 and won. I was too disgusted to post after game 1 (on top of having the flu :( ). But we still have more improvement to make.

blueblood wrote:

Quote:
And if Flip can earn just one paycheck this week, he will point out the HUGE advantage the Pistons will have if they simply PUMP FAKE when the defenders run out to guard their threes and drive and dish depending on what Shaq or 'Zo gives 'em.


I totally agree and I think Tayshaun heard you. He has played so consistently well that he gets overlooked. We would be out of the playoffs right now if it wasn't for Prince's play.

blueblood wrote:

Quote:
Finally, I disagree that the Pistons do not have a go-to scorer. They have 2 (maybe 3). Anybody who has watched either of the last 2 playoffs knows that 'go-to guy' is Rip. Sometimes he misses. He has been uncharacteristically cold over the last several games. It happens.


Again, I agree. Everyone knows that Rip is our volume scorer. He is nearly unstoppable coming off those curl screens and backcuts. He found his stroke again last night and needs to stay aggressive.

blueblood wrote:

Quote:
'Sheed is go-to guy #2. With his versatility, he is nearly impossible for anybody not named Kevin Garnett to guard consistently. The problem that has developed is that Flip has allowed him to slide back into that easy familiar routine of hanging around the perimeter looking for 'long guns,' which takes away his presence underneath on the boards, where he would get easy put backs in postseasons past.


Sheed says his ankle is 75-80% right now. He has looked better but I can tell it is still bothering him more than he is letting on. Flip definitely needs to post him more and get him going earlier in the game. Sheed just doesn't seem to want to get going in the post unless someone upsets him. This is a shame because he just cannot be guarded down low in the post with all of his skill.

blueblood wrote:

Quote:
Lastly, name me one player on MIA (or any team for that matter) who can guard Chauncey when he puts the ball on the floor and gives a pump fake or two (you know when he gets all herky-jerky, and guys just run into him from every direction and he flicks up a shot for an 'and-one' chance).


I can't because there is none. Chauncey should be ruling this matchup. I have not recognized the Chauncey we have come to know since game 4 against Cleveland. He is still getting to the line, but his turnovers and lack of aggression are just not him. He is in a funk and I'm not sure why. I think he is just pressing to much and not having fun out there. We need to have the confident Billups back. He just needs to say 'F it' and play his game.

_________________
Regards,

Tim

Image


May 26th, 2006, 11:11 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: January 10th, 2006, 6:08 pm
Posts: 531
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Again, in regards to Brown, the numbers LIE!... We were MUCH better off with LB than with Flip. Why? Because LB knows how to game plan. LB knows how to prepare. LB knows how to create mis-matches. And most of all, LB knows how to call plays and knows who to put in there when we're in a funk. Flip has done an aweful job so far, regardless of record or numbers. Comparitively Flip can't hold LB's clipboard...

Well clearly Flip did some gameplanning for game 2. In this game the pistons got much more layups instead of jumpshots...From what i saw, the only major flaw of game 2 was not doing anything at the end and giving up 17 pts in two minutes. But thats not Flip's fault...I find it highly unlikely that Flip told the players "look, we got this, you dont need to try anymore". I had my doubts about Flip over the past few games, but he (somewhat) redeemed himself after that game, all he needs to do now is keep the pistons consistantly getting easy shots. also consider the fact that Chauncey has shot 11-32 with 7 TO's over the whole series. Is that Flip's fault???

_________________
In Rod we trust


May 26th, 2006, 6:56 pm
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: March 3rd, 2005, 2:19 pm
Posts: 577
Post 
DMorgan wrote:
also consider the fact that Chauncey has shot 11-32 with 7 TO's over the whole series. Is that Flip's fault???


7 TOs in two games is pretty good for a PG. Consider that D-Wade had 9 in one game. I also giggled gleefully to myself each time Wade booted one..... :twisted: I love to see him get all agitated because that's when he starts pressing and killing his team....

_________________
"With the second pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Calvin Johnson, WR from Georgia Tech."

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.


May 27th, 2006, 11:37 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: January 10th, 2006, 6:08 pm
Posts: 531
Post 
blueblood1 wrote:
7 TOs in two games is pretty good for a PG.

That's true for most guards, but for Chauncey its not good at all considering he was the best in the league as far as not turning the ball over. Statistically in two games he should only have about 4 turnovers over 2 games. Either way you cant say he's been playing well these past few games, he's one of the guys whos supposed to play better in the playoffs, and he's clearly not playing well.

_________________
In Rod we trust


May 27th, 2006, 4:59 pm
Profile
Post 
DMorgan wrote:
blueblood1 wrote:
7 TOs in two games is pretty good for a PG.

That's true for most guards, but for Chauncey its not good at all considering he was the best in the league as far as not turning the ball over. Statistically in two games he should only have about 4 turnovers over 2 games. Either way you cant say he's been playing well these past few games, he's one of the guys whos supposed to play better in the playoffs, and he's clearly not playing well.


What's worse is... how he's turning it over... TERRIBLE passes, ball off of a foot, ext.... He needs to get his head on straight...


May 27th, 2006, 5:30 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.