View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 SF Rumor-Trade #1 for Rivers 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post SF Rumor-Trade #1 for Rivers
I am not sure how real this is, but it passes the plausibility litmus test. Many feel Rivers is better than this years QBs and he has a lesser contract than what the #1 over all will receive.

If it does transpire it will upset the to 10 I imagine. There may be a lot of movement kind of like that childhood game where one chair is taken out.

March 28th, 2005, 11:40 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/inde ... pic=115989

I've commented about this through the above link.

The Chargers would lose 15.6 million against the cap. That's huge and they couldn't afford it.

March 28th, 2005, 11:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW

That's true the salary cap would figure to be a huge hurdle especially with Brees signing the tender. If they could restructure his deal long term it would still be hard at 15 million I imagine, although I do not know SD's cap figure.

March 29th, 2005, 6:45 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

A SD homer seems to think they have about 9 mil currently left to sign draft picks and free agents.

March 29th, 2005, 8:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
RIP Killer

Rivers is by far a better QB prospect than any draft pick this year. Too bad he had Eli (way overrated IMO) in front of him. I just don't like Eli, he'll never be his brother. As you said with the cap, that would be a horrible deal for SD. Plus, SD doesn't need the #1 pick, they already have 2 first rounders where they can get a really good player at #12 (Marcus Spears, Troy Williamson).

March 29th, 2005, 8:38 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

You can't have too many #1 draft picks if you can afford it IMO. River is probably better than rogers and alex.

Quote:
Too bad he had Eli (way overrated IMO) in front of him. I just don't like Eli, he'll never be his brother.

At last, someone who feels the way i feel :arrow:

Eli is a bust in waiting, and the chargers were smart to draft him and trade him and his hype for Rivers and a 1st rounder.

March 29th, 2005, 9:33 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

That deal has to be the deal of the century, beating that charade with Cleveland last year! NY and Cleveland both got screwed.

March 29th, 2005, 9:37 am
RIP Killer

Rivers is a better prospect than either Rogers or Smith. I think this trade makes a lot of sense for both teams, assuming the $ works out. San Fran gets their QB of the future and the Chargers have Brees, LT and 3 first round draft picks to build upon. I think there is a real possibility of this happening.

"And with the first pick in the San Diego Chargers select Braylon Edwards, wide receiver from the University of Michigan"

March 29th, 2005, 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

A hole bunch of rumors are going to pop up, but I gaurantee Sandiego will end up keeping Philip Rivers in the end...

Michael Huff for DROY

March 29th, 2005, 11:52 am
Profile WWW

You are not allowd to go over the cap. They would have to rework Brees as a prerequisite for any deal. That might not be easy, since it would be a very complicated deal to generate cap space. Even then with 9 million in cap space, it would take some other roster restructuring to clear Rivers and sign three #1 picks. Edwards would have a cap figure of at least 3 million I imagine and the #12 pick would count at least 1.5 million against this year's cap. Those are some tremendous hurdles.

I am not sure of any of these numbers, but assuming they are correct it would seem that SD would have to restructure Brees and cut others to the tune of 8 million to allow this deal to transpire. Then SD would have to clear another 6-7 million to sign all their draft picks, controlling the damage perhaps by post-dating such cuts to June 1. Does SD have that much garbage to dispose of or enough big money players willing to restructure? It would seem tough to swing Rivers this year, but not entirely impossible.

March 29th, 2005, 12:36 pm
RIP Killer

You can't restructure a franchise tender as far as I know. That $8M that Brees signed is as good as gone. They might have some people who would be willing to restructure. I wouldn't include LT in that though. I still don't see how SD would have to clear THAT much space in order to sign 3 first rounders considering they're roughly $9M under.

March 29th, 2005, 1:16 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Rivers could be traded maybe in a year or two, possibly even three for this to make sense financially. Though, if Brees lights it up again and becomes the teams franchise QB for years to come then Rivers value on the bench will decline and they will not be able to get a fair trade for him.

It's a double edged sword.

March 29th, 2005, 1:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
RIP Killer

It woudln't be too smart to trade him because they don't have any other option if Brees were to get hurt. There aren't any good backups left in FA and they could get one in the draft, but it wouldn't make sense IMO.

I would still like to see them play Rivers on ocassion. He played well against KC. 5 for 8 for 33 yards and a TD. Not too bad.

Keep Rivers one more year in case Brees doesn't pan out. Granted, Rivers trading worth will decrease, but it's the best move IMO.

They released Flutie so they have nobody at #3. Watch 'em sign Mirer, HA!

March 29th, 2005, 1:46 pm

You cannot restructure the franchise tender obviously, but can you not negotiate a long term deal that voids it? Maybe not, I am not sure. If you cannot bargain down that amount than it is almost impossible to move Rivers this year I would think.

March 29th, 2005, 1:59 pm
RIP Killer

You can definately sign a long-term deal to void a franchise tag, however, I don't think SD would do thatl with Brees after one outstanding year and 3 okay years. He has to prove his worth for another year before he gets a super deal. If I were him, and very confident in my abilities, I would want to play under the tag and sign a massive contract next year rather than sign a good size deal this year.

Also, would it be beneficial in the long run to do this? $8M this year or much more over 5 years? Plus throw in the #1 overall pick and 2 other first round contracts?? That's pricey.

March 29th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next