View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 GAME 6....lets go Pistons!!! 
Stadium Announcer

He said he will bring back coach Flip Saunders and the top six players (assuming good negotiations with Arn Tellem, the agent for unrestricted free agent Ben Wallace) from the team that won 64 games this season but failed to reach the NBA Finals. He will supplement that consistency with a reworking of his bench, bringing in perhaps three or four new pieces.

His shopping list looks similar to last off-season's: add a primary bench scorer who can break down defenses to score easy buckets, especially inside, and also search for a pace-changing, backup point guard.

Alright let's look at the shopping list for a primary bench scorer in the three spot and the one spot (the good values anyways).

One spot:
David Wesley, Houston
Chucky Atkins, Memphis
Lindsey Hunter, Detroit
Speedy Claxton, New Orleans

Three spot:
Tim Thomas, Phoenix (yeah, I'm sure that's possible)
Bonzi Wells (once again not happening)

Shopping this year doesn't look like there are much fish in the sea, if anybody wants to see the list check out:
http://probasketball.about.com/od/newsr ... ents06.htm
and the other half of the list:
http://probasketball.about.com/od/newsr ... ts06_2.htm

June 6th, 2006, 9:21 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I would also add Bobby Jackson and John Salmons to that list. But I agree, not a great year for free agents.

Tim

June 6th, 2006, 11:43 am
Site Admin

But I don't think its a bad year for the Pistons because we need to boost the bench. I know you dogged Wilcox or poohpoohed him at least but I have my doubts about Maxiel who is all of 6'7. If we are going to do that I think Rodney Rogers isn't a bad option. He used to kill us at times in the playoffs...a guy that can take up space...hit a three and post up a bit. We also will not carry Kato or Dale Davis next year. We need depth and scoring options for the front court and back.

The scary thing is there might be a team that tries to get Ben with the max.

The other thing is Joe's refusal to spend a bit more and go over the luxary tax. I understand that he is trying to manage the team within the cap but at this point I think we need to add a bit more at least with depth. Look at other top teams adding starting quality players on the bench and the Pistons still refuse too. We have a nice starting five but a virtually empty bench. A 7 man rotation killed the Pistons legs in the postseason IMO and we need some quality added. There are 13 teams that spend more than we do on salaries and yet we expect that we can get by with shallow depth year after year? I am not saying spend frivously but I think expecting that the midlevel will get us enough to win it all is foolish at best. Many of these playoff teams have bench guys that would easily start on the lottery teams. Again NY proves that spending does not = winning for sure but wise free agent signings that we know Joe can do will certainly help. If it means another 6 mil or so beyond the mid level then I think that needs to get done. Oh well...too much coffee in my veins.

June 6th, 2006, 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

But I don't think its a bad year for the Pistons because we need to boost the bench. I know you dogged Wilcox or poohpoohed him at least but I have my doubts about Maxiel who is all of 6'7. If we are going to do that I think Rodney Rogers isn't a bad option. He used to kill us at times in the playoffs...a guy that can take up space...hit a three and post up a bit. We also will not carry Kato or Dale Davis next year. We need depth and scoring options for the front court and back.

Alpha, understand, it's not that I don't like Wilcox. I think he is a tremendous talent who needs some motivation and he could be very good. It is just that there is not a need at the power forward position. I know that Maxiell is just 6'7", but so is Ben. Not saying their games are comparable, but their aren't too many dominant big man anymore. Maxiell is very strong and can jump, I'm not too worried about his height.

Dale Davis will be back next season. He was signed for 2 years. Cato is gone. If anything, I wouldn't mind taken a look at Joel Przybilla as a young backup to Ben. He is a legit 7 footer and has some skills. And yes, I'm counting on Ben resigning. I know anything can happen, but I'm 99% sure he will get resigned.

Tim

June 6th, 2006, 2:13 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

From taking in all the articles I have read the top 6 should be back (assuming Joe Dumars can get a deal done with Ben Wallace), along with McDyess, Evans, Delfino (who Joe Dumars happens to like), Johnson, Maxiell, and Davis. Lindsey Hunter will most likely retire and Kelvin Cato and Tony Delk will not be resigned. I really think Carlos Delfino could help lead this team back to the NBA Finals next year if he plays well. He is our x factor that Flip Saunders never used this past season. He provides a tough matchup for any defender and is very good in the open floor. He reminds me a lot of Manu Ginobli, only he needs to develop a little bit more. Hopefully Jason Maxiell can get some more minutes this next season, because the Detroit Pistons will need another inside presence coming off of the bench besides Antonio McDyess.

June 6th, 2006, 3:26 pm
Profile YIM
Stadium Announcer

I really think Carlos Delfino could help lead this team back to the NBA Finals next year if he plays well. He is our x factor that Flip Saunders never used this past season. He provides a tough matchup for any defender and is very good in the open floor. He reminds me a lot of Manu Ginobli, only he needs to develop a little bit more.

I think that Delfino can be a force but he needs some playing time. Of course he will have a rusty game coming into the NBA, but when he was playing in Europe he was rated the best basketball player not playing in the NBA. I really enjoyed the Pistons selecting European players over the years and that's what seperated our bench from the rest of the league. We had the best bench for a couple of years and now nothing remains.

June 6th, 2006, 9:35 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Maybe Dumars will trade Sheed for Garnett.

June 6th, 2006, 11:00 pm
Site Admin

Godmoney...I guess I don't get your "not happening" remark with regards to Bonzi. The guy said himself last year that he wanted to be in Detroit becuase he believed he was getting cut.

In fact if you go to Hoops Hype is their lead front page rumor...

http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Also there was this quote from Bonzi last summer
Quote:
John Canzano

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Bonzi, what are we going to do with you?
Bonzi Wells would apparently like to play next season for either Detroit or Indiana.

The Grizzlies have until July 22 to exercise a contract option, which would pay Wells $8 million for the 2005-06 season. If they don't pick up the option Wells will become an unrestricted free agent.

Wells agent told the Memphis Commercial Appeal: "There is enough interest in Bonzi that he'll definitely play for another team next season. Bonzi has a whole lot of value because of (his) talent. In the right situation, he'll produce similar to what you saw with Rasheed Wallace."

Hurricane Bonzi wore out his welcome with new coach Mike Fratello late last season. What did Bonzi do? We can only guess. Spit? Middle fingers? Water bottles? F-bombs? All of the above? What? What Bonz?

Fratello suspended Wells and insisted Wells stay away from the team's arena for Memphis' Game 4 loss to Phoenix in the first round. The directive was so stern that Wells was told he would be arrested for trespassing if he tried to enter the building, according to the Commercial Appeal.

Now, Bonz. I get the whole I want to play for either Detroit or Indiana. But does Bonzi realize that when he says that he sounds sort of like a guy who collects Star Wars trading cards, has bad breath and still lives with his mother saying he'd like to either date Jessica Alba or Eva Longoria?

I think we have a decent shot at the Bonz.[/quote]

June 7th, 2006, 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Godmoney...I guess I don't get your "not happening" remark with regards to Bonzi. The guy said himself last year that he wanted to be in Detroit becuase he believed he was getting cut.

...I think we have a decent shot at the Bonz.

I did believe that we once had a decent shot at picking up Bonzi Wells but if you look at what's there in free agency this year, you'll notice nothing. Bonzi Wells is going to be offered a huge contract by teams because he is one of the best players in this year's free agency.

In the playoffs he blew up and also moved up the charts in free agency. He will be sought after.

This season he averaged 32.4 minutes a game while pulling down 7.7 rebounds and scoring 13.6 points

This year's playoffs he averaged 41.5 minutes a game while pulling down 12.0 rebounds and scoring 23.2 points.

I would just copied and paste but it doesn't work in this damn country

Mind you that Wells won't deserve the contract offers that he'll get, but teams are going to skyrocket his value past the mid salary range, which we would offer him.

For Wells, money talks. He'll take the money over glory.

June 8th, 2006, 2:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3