View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lions release 14 players - 7 to go... 
RIP Killer

Post Lions release 14 players - 7 to go...
Former Grand Valley State quarterback Curt Anes and cornerback Charles Drake, a standout at Michigan two years ago, were among 14 players released Saturday by the Detroit Lions.

The team still must move seven players to pare the NFL-mandated active roster to 53 by Sunday afternoon. Coach Steve Mariucci said some of the released players could be back with the team Monday as members of the eight-man practice squad.

Linebacker Scott Genord, guards Zach Wilson and David Miller, receiver George Wilson, defensive tackle Colin Cole, offensive tackle Matt McCoy, center Dave Pearson, fullback Keith Belton, defensive end Andrew Shull, tight end Bradford Banta and cornerbacks Rod Babers and Jeff Sanchez also were waived.

Banta, an 11-year veteran who had been the team?s long snapper the last three seasons, lost a battle for the position to Jody Littleton, a former member of the practice squad who played in NFL Europe earlier this year.

?There was good competition for the job between him and Jody,? Mariucci said. ?We decided to go with Jody. It was a real hard decision, because Bradford?s been a great player for us.?

Anes, who led Grand Valley to the 2002 NCAA Division II championship, played in NFL Europe this season after being cut after training camp last year. Rick Mirer will be the team?s third quarterback.

Drake was unable to emerge from a large group of players at his position. The same fate befell Genord, who prepped at Thurston High School in Redford before being signed as an undrafted free agent out of Fullerton (Calif.) College.

Mariucci, who declined to discuss which players might be cut Sunday, said the remaining changes will be dictated by each player?s ability to help the team. The Lions open the regular season Sept. 12 at Chicago.

?There are going to be some tough decisions,? he said, ?because we have eight or nine guys who really are capable of helping us right now.?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I though Cole and Pearson played very well in the preseason. I liked Barbers as well and thought he might have had a shot but I guess the numbers caught up with him.

Some of those released could be placed on the team's practice squad if they clear waivers, according to head coach Steve Mariucci .

What do you guys all think?

September 4th, 2004, 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

cutting a michigan standout player :x :shock:

GO STATE!
2005 Austin Regional Champs!
4/7 years Final Four apperances
5/7 years Elite 8 apperances

Michigan...
Missed 64 team tourney AND,NIT tourney(tourney for losers hahaha)

September 4th, 2004, 7:54 pm
QB Coach

Seven more to go...although they will all probably be on the practice squad, unless we leave room for waivers. I didn't think that anyone through the first round was really surprising...but that is IMO. Cole lost the job to Bell, Pearson was unable to beat out Hopson, and Babers there were too many quality CBs ahead of him IMO. Belton should make another team, he was good in the preseason. Genord was impressive, but only in certain situations.

Wonder about the following players: Chris Kern, Andrew Battle, Michael Young, Stephen Trejo, Avon Cobourne, Paul Smith, David Miller, and David Kircus. They are on the bubble of making the team and practice squad.

September 4th, 2004, 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think Paul Smith will make the squad as the second string FB. Trejo may actually make the team as the third TE (meaning Owens gets cut), he can also be a backup FB and special teams player. I'm not sure about the rest on your list, they are all gonna have a hard time making the squad but I have been really impressed with Kern - he makes plays all over the field, is a good special teams player and can play both Safety and CB. He is a player...

September 5th, 2004, 9:44 am
Profile WWW
All State

i guess banta lost the deep snap position to littleton, he had been around a few years with the lions. i thought barbers had a good chance to make the roster, guess not.

September 5th, 2004, 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Avon Cobourne (and you all thought he was going to make it)
Andrew Battle
Michael Young (Easiest pick of 'em all!)
Stephen Trejo (That's right Pablo, I was right...)
David Miller (I think he got cut...)
David Kircus (THANK GOD!)

September 5th, 2004, 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

True, I was off on Trejo - I guess they are putting more value into TE Owens blocking than I thought.

The final cuts were:

WR David Kircus
LB Andrew Battle
LB Michael Young
FB Stephen Trejo
RB Avon Cobourn
WR Reggie Swinton

Only 6 because the team also placed strong safety Brian Walker on IR with his arthroscopic knee surgery.

The biggest surpise to me was Swinton given Drummonds injury history. Guess they only had room for 5 WRs...

September 5th, 2004, 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Yeah, I didn't really expect Swinton to get the boot, but hey, I could have caught that pass!

September 6th, 2004, 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]