View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 SF Rumor-Trade #1 for Rivers 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Most 1st year contracts even for #1 draft picks, are relitivly small, from what I have seen on this site. I could be way wrong of course, but it shows here Roy and KingJones making only 305,000 apiece. Maybe they could swing it.

March 29th, 2005, 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Most 1st year contracts even for #1 draft picks, are relitivly small, from what I have seen on this site. I could be way wrong of course, but it shows here Roy and KingJones making only 305,000 apiece. Maybe they could swing it.

Yeah, the base salary starts out small, but the bonus is what kills a deal.

When a bonus is paid, it is paid upfront, but prorated for the life of the contract. If the contract is terminated before its scheduled end date then the bonus can no longer be prorated. The bonus has to come off as soon as the deal consumated.

In this case, I am hearing that the Chargers could stand to lose 15.6 million against the cap.

March 29th, 2005, 4:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Quote:
Listening to this morning mighty 1090, the local radio show here in San Diego. The Chargers front office sent in a press release to the show to say that this trade is not true at all, that it is just a rumor.

If they trade Rivers, they would take the entire $13 million dollar cap hit to this years cap. They only have $11 million available on their cap.

Rivers has 6 years remaining on his contract (if traded before june 1st), so if you trade him...you have to take all 6 years of that cap hit at one time. If you keep him, then it is divided between all 6 years.

So financially...Chargers are unable to do it. Restructure contracts?? Possibility, but they would have to do everything in their power just to get to that $13 million point to trade Rivers. That would leave them ZERO on the cap. They still would need to sign draft picks.

It would be nice for the Chargers to get an Edwards or Williams...but I dont think it's gonna happen. Not with trading Rivers anyway. Maybe they could trade their two first rounders and a future pick for this years 1.1???

March 29th, 2005, 4:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

This rumor has been getting kicked around on fan boards and local radio for quite awhile now. Theres been every thing from Rivers for the #1 pick straight up, to Rivers AND the #28 for the #1, to Rivers AND the #12 for the #1. And yes the rumor contends that the Chargers would be moving up for Edwards...NOT going to happen!

If SD can't find a way to get Rivers' signing bonus back I can't imagine that they would pull the trigger on this! They would be:

1) Taking a $9 million cap hit. All of it "dead money" and all in '05.
2) Obligate themselves to pay for the first player taken in '05 (please see $9 mil cap hit)
3) Create a need at backup QB
4) Be rolling the dice that Brees is the real deal and didn't just have one very good year.

Why wouldn't they jump all over that???? Well...

Other reasons it doesn't look like the Chargers want to deal Rivers:

1) They just paid him a fat bonus on March 1st. One would think if they were going to deal him this year they would have done so prior to that.
2) The team just released Doug Flutie. Say what you want about Fultie being washed up, I don't think they would have done that if they were shipping Rivers out this season.

Hey I'm a 9ers fan so I'd love for this to be true (especially if they got the #12 on top of Rivers). But the Chargers would have to drunk to go after that. It just wouldn't make sense.

March 29th, 2005, 10:45 pm
RIP Killer

bsand2053 wrote:

Wasn't Joey given a healthy salary, even in his first year though?

March 29th, 2005, 11:19 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

thedanzone wrote:
bsand2053 wrote:

Wasn't Joey given a healthy salary, even in his first year though?

I forget what his signing bonus was, but here is his base salary. You are right he was paid more base salary in first year then he dropped for two and now he's getting the BIG money.

Player Profile
Harrington, John Joseph
View Stats at Players Inc Site

Player Info

Draft Info

QB (#)

Year: 2002

Detroit Lions

Round: 1

Portland, OR

Position: 3

Salary History
2002 1300000.00
2003 300000.00
2004 380000.00
2005 4950000.00
2006 4450000.00
2007 4450000.00

March 30th, 2005, 12:53 am
Profile YIM WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

The minimum salary cap figure for a player is their pro-rated bonus plus about 400,000. I estimated that the minimum for a #1 overall pick would be about 3 million, but it would vary according to the bonus, proportion of guaranteed money and the bonus structure, and the length of the deal. Likely, it would be great deal more than 3 million and that would represent the bare minimum with an accomodating agent. The idea of SD paying #1 over all that kind of money is also a big strike agains the deal. They are notorious cheap skates.

March 30th, 2005, 2:50 am
Site Admin

I would think they hold onto Rivers for another year despite all the financials as insurance policy versus the fluke bug haven possibly bitten Drew Brees.

March 30th, 2005, 9:25 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

"And with the first pick in the San Diego Chargers select Braylon Edwards, wide receiver from the University of Michigan"

Although this trade isn't going to happen... the Chargers like Mike Williams a lot more than Braylon Edwards. Their entire player personnel department showed up for Williams' workout, they were the best represented team at the workout, along with Tampa Bay, while there wasn't anyone of note at Edwards' workout from San Diego. Mariucci went to Edwards' workout, and the Lions expressed interest in him. But of course, it's just a short trip to the workout, why not go there?

April 2nd, 2005, 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2