View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 3:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Deal opens way for Soriano trade 
Modmin Dude

Post Deal opens way for Soriano trade
Freep.com wrote:
The trade was announced around 3 p.m., hours before the first pitch of Thursday's Tigers-Royals series opener at Comerica Park. It involved two National League teams, and had no immediate impact on Detroit's chance to turn baseball's best midseason record into a postseason berth.

Then again, July transactions rarely occur in a vacuum.

The most intriguing aspect of the deal, between the Reds and Nationals, was that it sent Austin Kearns to Washington -- a team that already possesses a surplus of outfielders. That might enable aggressive Washington general manager Jim Bowden to deal another outfielder -- perhaps Alfonso Soriano, a player in whom the Tigers have expressed mild interest.

Detroit is one of several potential destinations for Soriano, though not among the most likely. It would be a surprise if the Tigers outbid large-market teams, such as the Angels and Yankees, to obtain the fleet, powerful leftfielder.

The Tigers are most interested in a left-handed bat, but have indicated that they'll consider right-handers, too. Soriano is a righty.

When Detroit's search for a left-handed batter was mentioned Thursday to Kansas City's Matt Stairs, a lefty who might become available this month, he countered with a question: "Why do the Tigers need a left-handed bat?"

Told that Detroit's usual lineup includes only one lefty hitter and one switch-hitter, Stairs replied, "Who cares? They can all rake. Trust me. ... Everybody talks about Detroit needing a left-handed hitter. Why? That team's stacked. They're scarier to face than the Red Sox."

Stairs, 38, hopes to finish his career in Kansas City, and said he does not spend time worrying about where he might be dealt. He fits the profile of a player often traded at this time of year: He has experience, he is playing for a losing team, his contract expires at the end of the season, and he does not have a no-trade clause.

"Whatever happens, happens," said Stairs. "I'm a Kansas City Royal until something happens. Hopefully, it doesn't."

YOUNG MOVES UP: Dmitri Young's rehabilitation assignment moved to Triple-A Toledo on Thursday, as he went 1-for-4 and played the entire game at first base against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

He previously hit .154 (2-for-13) in four games at Double-A Erie.

Asked if he plans to evaluate Young in the majors before the deadline, Tigers manager Jim Leyland said, "Well, I don't really know. ... He hasn't swung the bat very well. If Dmitri can help us, he'll be here. If he can't, he probably won't.

"He's been away quite awhile (since May 22). We're certainly not writing off Dmitri Young. I don't want to make it sound like that. The fact of the matter is, this is the place for production. You've got to be able to do the job."

July 14th, 2006, 1:52 pm
Varsity Captain

What position would Soriano play for us? OF? 2b? I am guessing OF

July 14th, 2006, 11:27 pm
Profile YIM
Red Shirt Freshman

I don't want hiim. He strikes out to much. Anybody who has been traded as much as him usually means that he's a cancer in the clubhouse.

NO TRADE, NO TRADE

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

July 15th, 2006, 8:30 am
Hall of Fame Player

Alfonso Soriano 2B,OF

Hits/At Bat: 101/367
Runs: 63
Home Runs: 27
RBI's: 57
Stolen bases: 20
Walks: 37
Intentional Walks: 9
Strike Outs: 82

These are his stats thusfar this season. With the season only being half over, YOU CAN ROUGHLY DOUBLE THEM :!:

Sure he strikes out a lot. But, ever one of his other stats FAR EXCEED the negative of his strike outs.

As far as Outfielders go, Soriano is in the upper tier for production.
As far as 2nd Basemen go, Soriano is EASILY in the TOP 3 in all of baseball.

As much as I like Polanco, I would trade him for Soriano in a NEW YORK MINUTE.

July 15th, 2006, 9:29 am
RIP Killer

I like our OF'ers. Thames, Granderson, and Mags with Monroe in the mix.

I do think Polanco could be upgraded, though I do like the guy.

July 15th, 2006, 10:53 am

Personally I would rather have Polanco... I like guys that hit for average... If we get anyone I would like to see us get Crawford... 3-4 years left on his deal... Much cheaper... And he hits for average... I like guys that don't make outs... And... Crawford is speedy... Our outfield would look sweet with Crawford, Granderson, and Thames out there... I like Maggs a lot, but I would also like to rest his knees and have the ability to use him more as a true DH... A position that we really lack right now... LoL... Craig Monroe is NOT a DH... your DH should hit over 250... :roll:

July 16th, 2006, 12:46 pm
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:

Personally I would rather have Polanco... I like guys that hit for average... If we get anyone I would like to see us get Crawford... 3-4 years left on his deal... Much cheaper... And he hits for average... I like guys that don't make outs... And... Crawford is speedy... Our outfield would look sweet with Crawford, Granderson, and Thames out there... I like Maggs a lot, but I would also like to rest his knees and have the ability to use him more as a true DH... A position that we really lack right now... LoL... Craig Monroe is NOT a DH... your DH should hit over 250... :roll:

I somewhat agree with this, except, that I am not sold on Crawford and I think that by midseason next year, Cameron Maybin will be ready for full time Major League duty. He should be at Double A Erie right now. But, the Tigers want Class A West Michigan to win the Midwest League Championship. Erie has no chance for the playoffs this year. Maybin will probably be promoted to High A Lakeland as soon as West Michigans season is over in time for Lakeland Run at the Gulf Coast League Championship. Then Start out next season at Erie.

July 16th, 2006, 1:01 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Crawford WOULD be preferable, but I applaud the Tigers for not paying the King's ransom the Rays are asking (probably deservedly-so).

All of this conjecture is likely moot, however, if the little bird from Minneapolis was right today when he told MLive that the Tigers were very close to consummating a deal to bring in Bobby Abreu.

You have to admit, Abreu is not that much less-desirable than Crawford. Plug him into your outfield with 100-Grand and Thames/Maggs......and D**N!!!

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

July 16th, 2006, 5:50 pm
Crawford WOULD be preferable, but I applaud the Tigers for not paying the King's ransom the Rays are asking (probably deservedly-so).

All of this conjecture is likely moot, however, if the little bird from Minneapolis was right today when he told MLive that the Tigers were very close to consummating a deal to bring in Bobby Abreu.

You have to admit, Abreu is not that much less-desirable than Crawford. Plug him into your outfield with 100-Grand and Thames/Maggs......and D**N!!!

Actually I think Abreu is arguably more desirable than Crawford... The ONLY thing, IMO, that makes him less desirable are the one year left on his deal, and his huge salary...

Also, I would tend to think that it would cost more to get Abreu than Crawford... I could also see Crawford coming cheaper than Soriano, but I could be wrong about that...

July 17th, 2006, 12:20 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Getting Bobby Abreu would be so sweet!! Do you guys remember last year's home run derby? Comerica Park is made for him!!

July 17th, 2006, 1:28 am
Profile YIM
Red Shirt Freshman

I'd rather get Abreu than Crawford for the these reasons.

1) He can hit for power.
2) He's a left handed hitter (fills a need)
3) I don't care about the contract.
4) Maybin will be our centerfielder of the future. (Crawford not needed)

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

July 17th, 2006, 9:41 am
Hall of Fame Player

Abreu can also slit time in the Outfield (LF and RF) and DH. Wich will help prolong his career.

July 17th, 2006, 12:00 pm
Abreu can also slit time in the Outfield (LF and RF) and DH. Wich will help prolong his career.

It will help pro-long Mag's career too!... That said... LMAO.. Frickin' Craig Monroe is our DH right now!!!... That said... Crawford would be an upgrade at DH as well...

IMO all the talk about Crawford being too expensive and Abreu being the better choice is simply misguided uninformed garbage... Abreu IS the better choice, for this year, BUT... Abreu will also demand more in a trade... Anyone that doesn't think so is simply mis-informed IMO...

July 17th, 2006, 12:50 pm
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:

It will help pro-long Mag's career too!... That said... LMAO.. Frickin' Craig Monroe is our DH right now!!!... That said... Crawford would be an upgrade at DH as well...

IMO all the talk about Crawford being too expensive and Abreu being the better choice is simply misguided uninformed garbage... Abreu IS the better choice, for this year, BUT... Abreu will also demand more in a trade... Anyone that doesn't think so is simply mis-informed IMO...

I agree, Abreu WILL demand more in a trade. I never argued that point. Simple fact is, the Tigers have the ammo to pull the trigger on both the Abreu and the Soriano trades. Look at the young pitching we have in the Majors. Then take a look at the up and coming pitchers we have in the Minors. We have only a limited number of spots available to them at the Major league level. We simply cannot keep them in the minors for the next 10 years until we have Major league spots available for them. the only way to aleviate the problem is to trade a few of them for other possition players.

By NO MEANS do I mean to trade ALL of them though. You simply have to keep a couple, just due to potential injury factors alone. But, to keep more than 2 Major league prospects in the Minors creates disharmony and unmotivation due to the lack of a reasonable possibility to move up.

The Tigers do have a couple of Major league possitions that could be upgraded with both of these trade possibilities and free up space for a couple of young prospects in the Minors to move up.

July 17th, 2006, 1:28 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I agree, Abreu WILL demand more in a trade. I never argued that point. Simple fact is, the Tigers have the ammo to pull the trigger on both the Abreu and the Soriano trades. Look at the young pitching we have in the Majors. Then take a look at the up and coming pitchers we have in the Minors. We have only a limited number of spots available to them at the Major league level. We simply cannot keep them in the minors for the next 10 years until we have Major league spots available for them. the only way to aleviate the problem is to trade a few of them for other possition players.

By NO MEANS do I mean to trade ALL of them though. You simply have to keep a couple, just due to potential injury factors alone. But, to keep more than 2 Major league prospects in the Minors creates disharmony and unmotivation due to the lack of a reasonable possibility to move up.

The Tigers do have a couple of Major league possitions that could be upgraded with both of these trade possibilities and free up space for a couple of young prospects in the Minors to move up.

Billy... I realize that it was not you, but rather Blueblood that incorrectly asserted that Crawford would cost more than Abreu or Soriano...

I too agree that we have the firepower to grab any of the three players...

I agree with your point about Maybin, but he's for sure not ready this year, and there's nothing wrong with having a loaded young outfied in the makings, especially with Maggs nearing the end of his career... Granderson, Thames, Crawford, and Maybin would be a scarey combination of OF's and DH's... Thames would be the likely DH candidate, but he's no slouch in the outfied either... We would seemingly be set for the next 4-5 years in OF assuming we could keep them all signed...

July 17th, 2006, 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next