View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Spears/Reggie White Conundrum: Extinction of the Bullrush DE 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Spears/Reggie White Conundrum: Extinction of the Bullrush DE
This was brought up in another thread, I believe by PT Bruiser. Why are there so few 300 plus bull rushing DEs today capable of getting double digit sacks? Did they clean up steroids? Are those guys going to another sport or another position like DT?

March 30th, 2005, 7:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think that people are targeting more 1-Dem players who have good speed, like Taylor and the Freak. I would like to see more.

It wouldn't hurt us to line big baby up at end once in a while to create matchups. He gets to the qb well at tackle, lets see how he does at end.

March 30th, 2005, 8:06 pm
Profile WWW

big baby is sweet but he is not like Reggie White. I dont think we will see him at DE...I like Spears though and he has a definite chance to play at DE. Still Reggie White type of production is unreal.

March 30th, 2005, 9:43 pm

I know he isn't like Reggie, but I would like to see him move around more. He has shown he can get to the quaterback, why not see what he can do agaisnt a TE or tackle?

March 30th, 2005, 10:06 pm
Profile WWW

They did line up big baby a few times at DE to get man on man. It worked pretty well, but it is a longer path to the QB. If the QB rolls out he does not have the closing speed to get there.

March 30th, 2005, 11:46 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

So, given the title of the thread are we to assume that you are putting Spears, who has yet to play a down in the NFL, to Reggie White whose career speaks for itself? I don't see Spears as a great bull-rusher yet considering he isn't in the NFL.

As for the great bull-rushers, I think it may be that the technique is lost. With all of the emphasis on speed and quickness the 300+ pound bull-rushing ends have been moved to DT to give teams big, quick DT's.

March 31st, 2005, 12:36 am

I do not think that Spears or any one else is even close to Reggie White, but some people are higher on Spears than I am. This raised the question. Is Spears capable of double digit sacks? If so, he will not be able to generate it through his speed probably, but would have to manage it through power moves like Reggie White. I do not know if any one can dig up Reggie's measurables, but he seems to have a similar body type.

March 31st, 2005, 7:43 am
RIP Killer

White is the greatest DE to play the game. He had a ton of moves, he was just awesome. Anything's possible, Spears coulc develope into a Reggie White type player. Like those stupid Jordan commercials with the little kids talking about how they're gonna be the next Jordan because the game's gotta go on, blah blah. Same thing. Nobody thought Marino's record would be broken, but Peyton shattered it. I personally like Spears, but nobody knows if he could be the next Reggie.

March 31st, 2005, 9:10 am

The closest I can think of to Reggie would be Warren Sapp on the end. I would never compare him to Reggie, but he was a power DE.

March 31st, 2005, 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

I do not think that Spears or any one else is even close to Reggie White, but some people are higher on Spears than I am. This raised the question. Is Spears capable of double digit sacks? If so, he will not be able to generate it through his speed probably, but would have to manage it through power moves like Reggie White. I do not know if any one can dig up Reggie's measurables, but he seems to have a similar body type.

This has really generated some talk!

I don't think Spears is Reggie at all (agreeing with Yorick). Spears doesn't have the speed like a Freak or Peppers that is why I was trying to think of a DE who didn't have the speed but was able to rush the QB. Reggie was the first one that I thought of. It would be nice to see that type of player reimurge in the NFL. There's nothing like some one being able to push a 335 lb fat OT on his butt and then scare the living daylights out of the QB!!! :P

Spears just seems to fit that type of player more than a speed rusher.

March 31st, 2005, 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]