View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hasek to return to Wings 
Modmin Dude

Post Hasek to return to Wings
Freep.com wrote:
Dominik Hasek is returning for a third tour of duty with the Detroit Red Wings.
The team announced Monday it has signed the 41-year-old to a one-year deal, believed to be worth about $500,000 plus incentives.

Hasek first played for the Wings in 2001-02, when his stint culminated with a Stanley Cup party. He retired that same summer, only to de-retire two years later and ask to come back ? even though the Wings had starting goaltender Curtis Joseph under contract for $8 million, not to mention a backup in Manny Legace. But had the Wings not accepted Hasek?s demand to return, he would have become an unrestricted free agent, meaning he was free to sign with any rival.

The Wings brought Hasek back, but Hasek soon injured his groin, and he ended up playing only 14 games. His enduring presence around the locker room caused tension, however, and Hasek and Joseph hardly ever spoke. Hasek?s contract expired that summer, which coincided with the start of the NHL lockout.

Hasek went on to sign with Ottawa last summer and looked like a Vezina Trophy candidate until he got hurt. He went to the Torino Winter Games and suffered a groin injury during the first game, and never played another game.

So why did the Wings go after him? Well, they tried for Ed Belfour ? also 41, and with a back history to equal Hasek?s groin history ? but balked when he wanted too much in incentives. Belfour eventually signed with Florida, and the Wings weren?t heartbroken.

They considered some of the other goalies available, like Buffalo?s Martin Biron, San Jose with either Vesa Toskala or Evgeni Nabokov, or Anaheim?s Jean-Sebastien Giguere. But any one of those players would have had to be acquired via trade, costing the Wings both a player and money. Hasek, on the other hand, only cost money.

And should he get injured, the Wings will have cap room to acquire a goalie via a trade.

Coincidentally, Hasek will have as a backup the guy he bumped in 2001: Chris Osgood. The Wings ended up having to put Osgood on waivers that year, and the New York Islanders claimed him. Osgood signed a two-year deal earlier this summer worth $900,000 a season, with the understanding that he was to be the backup.

The Wings feel comfortable with him in that role, because he has proved to management he can handle the pressure of being playoff goalie in Detroit ? but all along, the Wings wanted another veteran as starter.

Hasek will now fill that role, leaving prospect Jimmy Howard to mature for another season in Grand Rapids.

This report will be updated

Copyright ? 2006 Detroit Free Press Inc.

:shock: :? :x :P :o

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 31st, 2006, 1:48 pm
National Champion

The wings are right back where they started about 4 years ago. there like the movie groundhog day. We had osgood who had won the stanley cup, we then trated for Dom , then we had three goalies so we waive Osgood, Hasek played one year won the cup and retired.So they brought in Curtis Joseph and the wings lost early in the playoffs. the next year Hasek unretired and spent half the season hurt, joseph was hurt and shaky as well and he was pissed becuse Hasek came back. Then the lockout happened. Joseph took off as a free agent the wings cut hasek and were down to manny legacy. well then they needed a back up so they picked up chris osgood. well they didnt make it out of the first they blamed the goalie cut legacy and singed hasek. Ken Hollands big adventure LOL

July 31st, 2006, 4:10 pm
I like it... I hope Dom doesn't get too pissy about Oz starting during the season... I see Hasek more as a playoff goalie than a 60-80 game during the season type of guy. He can definitely handle the pressure, and he's not a head-case like Legace, at least not between the pipes!...

July 31st, 2006, 5:33 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I would much rather have Hasek than Belfour, so I think this is a good move. As wjb said, perhaps he'll split time with Osgood during the regular season in order to keep him healthy for the playoffs. When Dom is at the top of his game, there isn't anyone better.

July 31st, 2006, 6:04 pm
Varsity 1st Team

I would much rather have Hasek than Belfour, so I think this is a good move. As wjb said, perhaps he'll split time with Osgood during the regular season in order to keep him healthy for the playoffs. When Dom is at the top of his game, there isn't anyone better.

I agree; they didn't dubb him the Dominator for nothing! Even last year he had some GREAT numbers! I'm happy to see Dom back!
I like him coming back, for hopefully helping polish Howard also!

I will go against the gain and say that I will miss Legace! Last year Manny had some great numbers and he played well! I do admit that in the Playoff's the Oilers got him off balance, but they did that to Detroit on every level period, not just goal-tending! And I did prefer Manny over Chris Osgood:

Reguardless of who's in net; My Wings are My Wings!

August 1st, 2006, 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]