View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions to work out Chris Spencer, C, Ole Miss 
RIP Killer

Post Lions to work out Chris Spencer, C, Ole Miss
Lions | Spencer to Receive Private Workout - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:55:41 -0800

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Mississippi C Chris Spencer has a private workout scheduled with the Detroit Lions. A date for the workout was not disclosed.

This doesn't make sense after Raiola's healthy contract signing. Granted, we don't really have a backup, but DeMulling can play C. This just doesn't make sense considering Spencer is the first C slated to go in the draft.

March 31st, 2005, 10:18 am
RIP Killer

Woody plays center as well. With both Woody and DeMulling on the roster, I wouldn't expect them to add a backup center to the roster. Unless he can play multiple positions, meaning both guards and is a quality deep snapper, I just don't see it.

March 31st, 2005, 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Doesn't make much sense to me, but here is what a few sites are saying about him. It does appear that he can play 3 positions, RG, C, LG.

OTCDraft.com...

Chris Spencer was redshirted in 2000 before becoming a regular contributor in an offensive line rotation in 2001. He started at both guard and center the next two seasons, before taking over the starting center job fulltime this past season. He has an excellent combination of size and strength for an offensive lineman. He is extremely smart and is among the best when it comes to making the proper line calls as a center. He has just about everything you look for in a NFL center. His biggest weakness is his lack of experience. He only has one full season under his belt as a starting center. He needs to improve his technique and may take a year or two to develop into the type of player he can be. He has the ability to play guard or center at the professional level and may be one of those players that starts out as a guard, then moves on to center a year or two later. Chris Spencer is a solid second round pick and should be among the top interior offensive linemen selected in the 2005 NFL draft. He has a great deal of upside and could be the best center in this draft in a couple years.
by Greg Benjamin

NFLDraftCountdown.com

Strengths: Has good size...A very good athlete...Excellent quickness...Is extremely strong...Versatile and has experience at both guard spots as well as center...Smart and makes all the line calls...Still improving and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have a ton of starting experience...Has only played center for one full season with the Rebels...Will need to coaching and development to work on mastering the nuances of the position.

Notes: Was a top prospect coming out of the prep ranks...Should rank among the top centers available due to his size, athleticism and potential.

- Scott Wright

NFL.com

OVERVIEW
Spencer is an unheralded athlete with only one year of starting experience, but he so impressed the pro scouts during the 2004 campaign that he is now regarded as one of the elite blockers in college football. Surrounded by stellar offensive guards Marcus Johnson and Douglas Buckles, Spencer showed the ability to generate combo blocks along with his linemates, as the trio accounted for 18 touchdown-resulting blocks in 2004.

Spencer was considered one of the top offensive linemen in the nation and the top overall player from Mississippi as a senior at Madison Central High School. He earned Parade, SuperPrep, Prep Football Report, USA Today and Reebok's ESPN All-America first-team honors. SuperPrep rated Spencer the second-best offensive lineman in the nation. He added PrepStar Super 30 All-Southeast Region and Orlando Sentinel All-Southern first-team accolades. He was also selected Player of the Year in Mississippi by both Gatorade and Jeff Whitaker's Deep South Football publication.

Spencer was an outstanding run blocker, as he was powerful and dominating at offensive tackle. He helped lead Madison Central to the Class 5A state championship in 1999 as the Jaguars went a perfect 15-0. Spencer won the Class 5A Super Heavyweight power-lifting championship of Mississippi his junior and senior years, and holds all the prep lift records. During his senior season, he broke his own state record in the power-lifting competition, which is determined by combined weight lifted in three events (the squat, the bench press and the dead lift) when he totaled 1,675 pounds. That effort broke his own state record of 1,665 pounds set in South State competition earlier in the year.

Spencer played in every game behind Johnson at right offensive guard during the 2002 campaign. He started the first four games and the Mississippi State game at center in 2003, spending most of the year sharing playing time with Justin Sawyer. With Sawyer graduated, Spencer took over the starting chores at center full-time in 2004.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Powerfully built with good thickness throughout his frame ? Carries his weight well, with a tight midsection, wide hips, good bubble and a strong upper-body frame ? Uses his leg drive to wall off and turn the defender while maintaining position ? Shows quick movement off the snap for the running game, displaying agility and balance with adequate change-of-direction skills ? His quickness off the snap allows him to gain advantage and he is very alert to movement, using his hands properly to set, pop and stop the bull-rush charge ? Has good knee bend and flexibility, staying low to anchor, while using his mass and excellent strength to generate pop and explosion ? Plays flat-footed, making good body adjustments in his lateral slide to gain movement ? Very productive on short traps and pulls because of his ability to adjust to movement and find the target ? Tough lineman who will compete and challenge defenders ? His strong upper body is shown by the way he uses his hands to gain control, generating a solid punch while also developing a knack for grabbing and steering the defensive linemen wide. ? Is still developing his pass blocking skills, but has the quick feet needed to shuffle, slide and adjust to change of direction ? His explosion coming off the ball allows him to sustain and finish consistently ? Has the wide leg base to keep his balance dropping back in pass protection, keeping his weight back and under control ? Does a nice job of incline blocking, adjusting to stunts on the move.

Negatives: Inconsistent getting to the second level, as he has the speed needed to be effective working in space but needs to do a better job of locking up defenders downfield ? Gets good hand placement, but needs to keep his base wider as he will overextend, causing him to not sustain blocks for long ? Relies more on strength to sustain, but needs to do a better job of taking proper angles on his man ? Even with his strong hand punch, he sometimes prefers to catch the defender rather than rocking him back ? Must learn to play at a lower pad level as he gets too upright in his stance ? Has a strong upper body, but needs to develop better lower-body power and hip snap to prevent bull rushers from pushing him back on his heels.

INJURY REPORT
No injuries reported.

AGILITY

5.21 in the 40-yard dash ? 3.01 20-yard dash ? 1.80 10-yard dash ? 4.59 20-yard shuttle ? 8.06 three-cone drill ? 32-inch vertical jump ? 8-foot-9 broad jump ? Bench pressed 225 pounds 26 times ? 33?-inch arm length ? 10 7/8-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Madison (Miss.) Central High School, playing football for coach Mike Justice ? Was considered one of the top offensive linemen in the nation and the top overall player from Mississippi as a senior ? Earned Parade, SuperPrep, Prep Football Report, USA Today and Reebok's ESPN All-America first-team honors ? SuperPrep rated Spencer the second-best offensive lineman in the nation ? Added PrepStar Super 30 All-Southeast Region and Orlando Sentinel All-Southern first-team accolades ? Also selected Player of the Year in Mississippi by both Gatorade and Jeff Whitaker's Deep South Football publication ? Competed as an offensive tackle ? Helped lead Madison Central to the Class 5A state championship in 1999 as the Jaguars went a perfect 15-0 ? Won the Class 5A Super Heavyweight power-lifting championship of Mississippi junior and senior years, and holds all the prep lift records ? During his senior season, he broke his own state record in the power-lifting competition, which is determined by combined weight lifted in three events (the squat, the bench press and the dead lift) when he totaled 1,675 pounds ? That effort broke his own state record of 1,665 pounds set in South State competition earlier in the year.

PERSONAL
Criminal Justice major ? Son of Sharon Wallace and Renna Fisher ? Born Christopher Clarks Spencer on March 28, 1982 ? Resides in Madison, Miss.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, Powered by The Sports Xchange

March 31st, 2005, 10:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
RIP Killer

Considering DeMulling's deal is only 2 years and Joyce/Loverne aren't starters but capable backups, do we take an OG in the draft with our limited picks and groom him to replace DeMulling? There was lots of talk about drafting an OG in the 2nd but that's faded since we acquired DeMulling. I think it would be a smart move IMO.

I would only take an OT in Rd 1 or 2 because I just don't see anyone who would be an upgrade over Bulter/Rogers. Rogers played very well last year when he was given the opportunity, he moved piles - as did Butler.

March 31st, 2005, 11:03 am
Stadium Announcer

Post Drafting a center or guard
Arguably the Lions don't need to draft a center / guard, however here are some thoughts as to why they should consider the option.

The O/D line positions are arguably the most important positions of any football team. Having said that I believe that the Lions need help in the O/line position. Since losing Stai to the steelers the O/line has lacked an aggressive attitude. By drafting a player with an attitude and skills that BAAS posesses I believe that it will translate into better play for the rest of the O/line.

While they do have players signed for the comming year I believe that BAAS will push, if not replace,one of the projected starters. This can only help the team with it's preceived soft image.

Hopefully Baas will fall to the second round.

March 31st, 2005, 10:53 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I think this fits with everything we have seen. Best available player, speed, and a playmaker regardless of position.

I suspect the Lions will be patient and let the draft some to then excepting those strike points where they have to move up a few notches for a much higher rated guy on their board.

March 31st, 2005, 11:08 pm
RIP Killer

Well BPA doesn't say much....Benson could be the the BPA at #10, doesn't mean we'd take him. I think that BPA talk is crap. We still have needs, just not glaring holes like before. We could upgrade at almost every position and we need backups at QB, WR, MLB, OT, TE...

March 31st, 2005, 11:31 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I dont think we should draft a C, but I think we should sign a rookie free agent though...

Michael Huff for DROY

April 1st, 2005, 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I did not say that Baas was the BPA available, 1st or 2nd round. I did say that the O-line needs an infusion of attitude that they lost with Stai going to the steelers. If you want to win in the trenches you need attitude.

I don't pretend to have all the answers but I do like to debate with you.

April 2nd, 2005, 11:01 pm
RIP Killer

I think this fits with everything we have seen. Best available player, speed, and a playmaker regardless of position.

I suspect the Lions will be patient and let the draft some to then excepting those strike points where they have to move up a few notches for a much higher rated guy on their board.

That's what I was referring to with Baas as the BPA. He could be the BPA, never know. BPA is skewed though when we have depth as "needs."

I'm always up for a good debate as well!

wi Lions wrote:
I did say that the O-line needs an infusion of attitude that they lost with Stai going to the steelers. If you want to win in the trenches you need attitude.

That I do agree with.[/quote]

April 3rd, 2005, 2:27 am
Varsity Captain

:arrow: Personally, I think bringing in Chris Spencer for a workout is nothing more than a smokescreen for trade bait during the draft. I could be wrong, but that is my gut feeling. :arrow:

April 3rd, 2005, 6:54 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Are there any teams out there that are in need of a C? Better yet, in need of a C with a 2nd round pick? If Millen was using Spencer as trade bait, who would be willing to trade with us?

April 3rd, 2005, 6:59 pm
Varsity Captain

:arrow: Good question. I don't know, but I guess I'll have to do a little research and see what I can find, then I'll let you know. :arrow:

April 3rd, 2005, 7:04 pm
Profile YIM
League MVP

DeMulling's deal is only 2 years, he is a solid player but not a lot of upside. Joyce and Loverne are not very good. Drafting young depth with upside like Spencer would be a wise decision. Allow us some flexibility in the future instead of having to give our current guys newer, bigger contracts and injury insurance. Hopefully that is what they were able to do last year when they drafted Butler, sparing them of having to pay for MacDougle. Agree with viewpoints of others here but I am going to be Stat Boy for a second and make some corrections...

conversion- VRogers only played briefly last season. When he did play he did not move piles, he simply got his feet wet...KButler did not play at all last season except in the preseason and played mostly against guys no longer on NFL rosters.
wi Lion- the player you are referring to is Jeff Hartings who we let go bc we brought in Brendan Stai. Stai was a disappointment for us and is no longer in the NFL. Hartings is on the Steelers.

April 3rd, 2005, 8:47 pm
RIP Killer

DeMulling's deal is only 2 years, he is a solid player but not a lot of upside. Joyce and Loverne are not very good. Drafting young depth with upside like Spencer would be a wise decision. Allow us some flexibility in the future instead of having to give our current guys newer, bigger contracts and injury insurance. Hopefully that is what they were able to do last year when they drafted Butler, sparing them of having to pay for MacDougle. Agree with viewpoints of others here but I am going to be Stat Boy for a second and make some corrections...

But with re-signing Raiola, would it be wise to draft a C when both our OGs can play C as well? Also, with Spencer, can he play OG or OT as well as C? I see the need to draft OL, but not necessarily C.

The Legend wrote:
conversion- VRogers only played briefly last season. When he did play he did not move piles, he simply got his feet wet...KButler did not play at all last season except in the preseason and played mostly against guys no longer on NFL rosters.

I know Butler only played preseason, but I thought he looked good. But then again, as you said, he didn't play against any decent DEs. As far as Rogers is concerned, what do you mean, got his feet wet? Held decent blocks but never really moved anyone?[/quote]

April 3rd, 2005, 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next