View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 SN oline article 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Terrance Holt saw it comng all the way and stuffed him, if I remember correctly.

April 1st, 2005, 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I agree Vick is dangerous...but that is even to his own team. Seriously he has a crazy talent but so did Barry and what did he ever win? :?

(no offence Barry I wub u)

I somewhat agree with this article but not based upon the case studies presented. Oline is not a position of individual performers...it is a team of guys that either they gel or don't. You could put the most talented individuals on the line together and they may do terribly. Just like the guys with the best numbers speedwise dont always make the best players.

April 1st, 2005, 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think both are right . Good ones can be made. But great Tackles seem to be first round picks or early second round look at the Pro bowl this year.

AFC
Jonathan Ogden, BAL 1st
Tarik Glenn, IND 1st.
Marvel Smith, PIT early 2nd
Willie Roaf, KC 1st

NFC

Walter Jones, SEA 1st
Orlando Pace, STL 1st
Flozell Adams, DAL 1st
Tra Thomas, PHI 1st

One guy out of eight pro bowl tackle was not drafted in the first round and
Smith first lineman taken in the 2nd round in the 2000 draft

Walter Jones,Orlando Pace, and Tarik Glenn where all first rounders in the 1997 draft.

I know I have been defending Backus. But all the guys on this years probowl would be an upgrade from him.

April 1st, 2005, 10:40 am
Site Admin

Well I always look at Denver and they seem to have a system of having great runners. I have to attribute that to their oline...their oline consist of

a 1st rounder, a 4th rounder, a 7th rounder, and 2 undrafted players.

Last year the lions had:
3 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and I forget who else DOH!!!

Maybe it has something to do with play calling or whatever but I believe you can look at teams with the best offensive line and they typically do NOT have 3 1st rounders on it. And a 2nd rounder for a center might as well be a 1st rounder IMO.

The two top FA gaurds of Wahle and Rivera were a 2nd rnd pick and a 6th.

April 1st, 2005, 10:52 am
Profile WWW

Larry Allen was also a late round pick. I wish we could have made that trade last year for him it would have been worth our third IMO

April 1st, 2005, 11:13 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I thought Larry Allen was an early second rounder, but I could be wrong.

"I think both are right . Good ones can be made. But great Tackles seem to be first round picks or early second round look at the Pro bowl this year."

I think you are onto something here. I think OTs picked in the top 10 and top 5 especially, have fared very well. The OL selected later in the first round have been more of a crapshoot. There also seems to be a difference between OGs and OTs, most obviously I guess in terms of where they are drafted, but also in terms of where they are acquired. I guess the demands of the position are somewhat different, the OT is more on an island which puts less of a premium on reading blocks and more on athletic ability.

April 1st, 2005, 12:29 pm
RIP Killer

...Except when the Lions pick lineman XXcombustion.gif

Allen was a mid 2nd rounder.

April 1st, 2005, 12:35 pm
RIP Killer

Allen was taken in the 2nd round (46th) of the 94' draft out of Sonoma State.

BTW - F. Adams was also taken in the 2nd round (38th) by the cowgirls in the 98' draft out of Michigan State.

GO SPARTANS!

April 1st, 2005, 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

Allen was taken in the 2nd round (46th) of the 94' draft out of Sonoma State.

BTW - F. Adams was also taken in the 2nd round (38th) by the cowgirls in the 98' draft out of Michigan State.

GO SPARTANS!

sorry about the mistake.

Was Adams blind in one eye or deaf in one ear I rember before he was drafted that was a concern

April 1st, 2005, 12:56 pm

...Except when the Lions pick lineman XXcombustion.gif

We have had a bad run on lineman picked in the first round but also had some gems.....If you dont count the Backus or Mcnutt
I guess really the only one would be Lomas Brown :(

April 1st, 2005, 1:05 pm
All State

you can't base draft decisions on poor positional picks in the past. we haven't done very good with first-round qb selections, but i would certainly take a chance again if that is what the team needed and there was a player there who made sense. most of those bad choices were pre-millen, and certainly pre-mooch.

i tend to trust these guys to make good decisions in the draft now. it is nearly impossible to predict what they may do this year.

April 1st, 2005, 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

you can't base draft decisions on poor positional picks in the past.
new_scatter.gif

If you cannot learn from history...what can you learn from young grasshopper read2.gif

April 1st, 2005, 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

"I somewhat agree with this article but not based upon the case studies presented. Oline is not a position of individual performers...it is a team of guys that either they gel or don't. "

That is a good point. I think that goes for the passing and running offense too, where the popular focus tends to fall inordinantly on the QB and RB respectively. Of course, chemisty among five Loverne's would probably not amount to much. . . :)

April 1st, 2005, 2:12 pm

pre-millen, and certainly pre-mooch

I feel that the lineman we have now are good. Next year will be agood year for the lions oline.

April 1st, 2005, 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2