View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Just call him Captain Lidstrom 
Varsity 1st Team

Post Just call him Captain Lidstrom
Just call him Captain Lidstrom

August 23, 2006

Nicklas Lidstrom will exchange his alternate's 'A' for a captain's 'C.'

Recent Wings captains

Player Tenure Seasons
Steve Yzerman 1986-06 19
Danny Gare 1982-86 4

Nicklas Lidstrom will be the next captain of the Red Wings, replacing Steve Yzerman, the Free Press has learned.

But the team is holding off on a formal announcement, according to a person in the organization, to make a big splash before the season starts. Training camp opens Sept. 15 in Traverse City.

Lidstrom, 36, joined the team for the 1991-92 season. He is the longest-serving member of the squad and arguably the Wing's best player. In June he won his fourth straight Norris Trophy as the league's best defenseman.

Teammate Henrik Zetterberg, the team's second-leading scorer last season behind Pavel Datysuk, also was thought to be in the running for the captaincy. At the Wings' request, Zetterberg sat next to Yzerman in the locker room to learn from the veteran leader.

But Zetterberg, who is 10 years younger than Lidstrom, will have to wait his turn.

Meanwhile, news out of Philadelphia this week suggested that Peter Forsberg was likely to take over the captain's 'C' previously worn by former Red Wing Keith Primeau. If it holds true, by season's start there will be six Swedes captaining NHL clubs.

Lidstrom wasn't available for comment, but earlier this summer he told the Free Press it would be an honor to become captain. He would further swell the ranks of Swedish club commanders, joining Toronto's Mats Sundin, Ottawa's Daniel Alfredsson, Vancouver's Markus Naslund and Los Angeles' Mattias Norstrom.

Lidstrom, who has been an alternate captain the past few years, is a natural successor. Like Yzerman, he is quiet, but his words command tremendous respect in the locker room. Like Yzerman, he leads by example.

Yzerman had worn the 'C' since 1986-87, when at 21 years he became the youngest captain in franchise history.

Now the Wings are busy planning Yzerman's official retirement ceremony and are likely to announce the date within a month. Considering everything he has meant to the organization from his rookie season in 1983-84, the Wings don't want to rush anything and won't be ready for opening night. Nothing short of perfection will do for the Wings on the night Yzerman's No. 19 is hoisted to the rafters at Joe Louis Arena.

The Wings have plans for the man behind the number, too, and within two weeks members of management plan to sit down with Yzerman and discuss his role in the front office in the years ahead.

Yzerman, 41, retired last month after 22 NHL seasons.

August 23rd, 2006, 6:22 pm
Varsity 1st Team

I figured that Lidstrom would get it; he deserves it! I'm happy to see him get the "C":

It is going to be odd for me to not see Stevie out there though: I got into hockey during his reign as captain, back when we had Probert and belonged to the Norris division:

I would'nt mind seeing Stevie get (2) retirement parties! One on the streets of downtown Detroit for the whole city to come to: And one at the Joe: If any Detroit athlete in my lifetime (I'm 33) deserves a retirement party on the streets of downtown Detroit, he does! I also wouldn't mind seeing them put a huge puck (like that huge Michelin tire) with the number 19 and a "C" on it somewhere in the city of Detroit!

August 24th, 2006, 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

I figured that Lidstrom would get it; he deserves it! I'm happy to see him get the "C":

It is going to be odd for me to not see Stevie out there though: I got into hockey during his reign as captain, back when we had Probert and belonged to the Norris division:

I would'nt mind seeing Stevie get (2) retirement parties! One on the streets of downtown Detroit for the whole city to come to: And one at the Joe: If any Detroit athlete in my lifetime (I'm 33) deserves a retirement party on the streets of downtown Detroit, he does! I also wouldn't mind seeing them put a huge puck (like that huge Michelin tire) with the number 19 and a "C" on it somewhere in the city of Detroit!
Would not mind seeing that myself. Consumate professional.

August 24th, 2006, 7:29 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Lidstrom was the obvious choice and I'm glad to see that he got it. Now, it's going to be interesting to see who the Alternates will be. Last year, they were Lidstrom and Shanahan. My guess is that Zetterberg will get one of the "A"s and the other will probably go to Chelios or Draper.

August 26th, 2006, 10:38 am
Varsity 1st Team

Now, it's going to be interesting to see who the Alternates will be. Last year, they were Lidstrom and Shanahan. My guess is that Zetterberg will get one of the "A"s and the other will probably go to Chelios or Draper.

Very true! I see Zetterberg as Detroit's future; Him and Pavel: (Zetterberg being my fav of the two)
But then again, you can't foget what Cheli and Draper have done in Detroit either: So it will be interesting to see who gets the "A's":

August 27th, 2006, 1:31 am
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

I know some of you guys live out of town and may not have seen yet, so I thought that I'd post the info for you.........
Zetterberg and Draper are sporting the "A's" now!

October 8th, 2006, 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]