View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 7:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Bust Detector 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Bust Detector
Every year a team reaches for a work out warrior or character guy that just does not pan out. Other guys lack the physical talent to translate college production to the NFL level. Looking at this year,s big board, which prospects would you stay away from and why?

My warning meter is running pretty high on Barron, Jamaal Brown, and Dan Cody.

I am also a little wary of Rolle, Merriman, Braylon Edwards, Benson, and Spears although I do not think they will be busts, I wonder if they will not live up to their hype.

March 27th, 2005, 6:36 pm
NFL Veteran

One guy who can be the ultimate bust in my opinion is Ronnie Brown. He's a workout warrior and was solid in college. But the thing that worries me is... he isn't just a one-hit wonder. He split time in his only year as a semi-starter. I think players are more likely to bust the less they play in college. That makes Brown a prime candidate... but he certainly has all the measurables to not just be a solid back in the nfl, but has the upside to be an elite back.

I seriously think he's going to be hit or miss. So if I were a GM, I probably wouldn't take a chance on him unless I had a serviceable back on the roster already.

March 27th, 2005, 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Benson, no doubt. His motivation is questioned at the college game, even though he's got 4 1000+ seasons. He'll turn out to be the next Ricky "reefer" Williams, or he'll turn out to be a workhorse back who loves the game and gives it his all. Personally, I think he'll either get pissed he'll be on a crappy team or he'll get too caught up with records, like Emmitt...but Benson won't be as good.

March 27th, 2005, 9:54 pm

I think that historically QBs, DEs, and RBs have had the highest bust quotient, but for different reasons.

The non-positional factor that plays large is lack of character or motivation. Even the elite college athletes have to apply themselves to learn the complexity of the NFL game, although some positions allow you to get away with less. QB and OL are definitely not those positions and very mentally challenging. That is what makes Brown and Barron scary in my book. The chances of "motivating" someone after they sign a big contract and are 22 years old is quite slim.

March 27th, 2005, 11:17 pm

2005 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS (OR SUSPECTS) THAT SCARE MEBill Wunkle - Staff Writer - Cleveland

e-mail:billwunkle@hotmail.com

Dan Cody - DE - Oklahoma State: I remember a young and talented defensive tackle from Penn State University Named Mike Reid that was drafted in 1970 by the Cincinnati Bengals with the seventh overall pick. Reid played five standout years with the club, then suddenly retired because of 'burn-out'. Why do I bring this analogy with Cody? Well, not to be mean or cruel, but this kid has admitted to be suffering from clinical depression. Although he has been treated for it, I do not want to take the chance on him having a relapse. If he ends up having a Mike Reid type of career, is it worth speding a top twenty pick on him? I am not sure that I have a good answer for that at this time, and I have been known to be wrong from time to time. Orange flag.

Braylon Edwards - WR - Michigan: But Wunkle, he made your top ten players list. You are right, he did. This kid for me is like Jeckyl and Hyde. One day I love the kid and the next day he scares the living daylights out of me. Is he talented? Yes! Is he athletic? Incredibly! So what's the problem with him? Two picture phrases . . . Desmond Howard and David Terrell. Both were very highly touted coming out of 'That School Up North' and never lived up to the pub and the hype. I hope that I am wrong for the sake of the team that drafts Edwards early in the first round, but I just have a feeling about this one. Red flag

Erasmus James - DE - Wisconsin: Incredible talent, but can not he seem to shake the injury bug. His college career reminds me of what Courtney Brown's NFL career has been thus far, but to a lerrer extent. Again, I hope I am wrong with this kid and I hope that James has an outstanding pro career, but he has got to get healthy and stay that way. Big red flag.

Adam 'Pac-Man' Jones - CB - West Virginia: Typically I am not into drafting a defensive back that's only 5'-9" tall in the first round in general and particularly in the top twenty. This is not Jones' fault, his height is what it is. Compound that with his aparent lack of disciplined play in that he frequently holds the opposing receiver - something for which he will get flagged at the next level time and time again. Yellow flag.

March 27th, 2005, 11:30 pm

Brown sure fits the bust profile of the work out warrior. I think he does represent a risk no question, but he also has great upside. Also, I would not knock him down too much because he shared the backfield with Cadillac, as that was not something he could exercise control over. It will be interesting to see what happens with him. Certainly as the second player taken he offers more risk than usual and I totally agree with your adage about college performance offering a good barometer of future prowess.

March 28th, 2005, 3:50 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think there will be a lot of busts this year especially in the 1st round,because if they were prospects in any draft they would be 2nd round picks...

Michael Huff for DROY

March 28th, 2005, 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Anyone? Anyone?

April 2nd, 2005, 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Hey, he is a Tedford product and has only played D1 for one year. He'll be the next Akili Smith. He'll be lucky to be as good as Kyle Boller with Mason to throw to. I say bust.

April 3rd, 2005, 2:21 am
Varsity Captain

:arrow: I think Pac-Man has the biggest bust potential, but Aaron Rodgers, Erasmus James and Ronnie Brown have the potential to be busts too.
James-injury plagued
Rodgers-overhyped QB
Brown-couldn't put Cadillac on the bench

Pac-Man-too short, has a tendency to hold too much.

Again just my opinion. :arrow:

April 3rd, 2005, 7:01 pm
Profile YIM
League MVP

Rodgers has bust written all over him. Wouldnt call Jones a bust but I dont think he is better than Rolle. David Pollack seems like a bust to me, when I watch him all I see is Jared DeVries with a better supporting cast...

April 3rd, 2005, 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]