View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 2:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Placido Polanco injured, Done for the year. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Placido Polanco injured, Done for the year.
Polanco seperated his shoulder while diving for a fly ball last night against the Red Sox. According to IRod in a post game interview, Polanco is finished for the year. I just hope one of our minor league 2nd basemen can move up and fill in adequetely.

Quote:
BOSTON (AP) -- Placido Polanco's injury forced Ivan Rodriguez to play an unfamiliar position and left the Detroit Tigers wondering how the loss of their steady second baseman will affect their playoff run.

"It's very sad, because we are all feeling so good right now," Polanco said Tuesday night after separating his shoulder, then watching Craig Monroe break a ninth-inning tie with a popup single that gave Detroit a 3-2 victory over the Boston Red Sox.

Polanco made a diving catch in the seventh to save a potential tying run, but needed to be walked off the field with a trainer supporting his left arm. Manager Jim Leyland said Polanco will go on the disabled list but didn't know when he will return.

Rodriguez said on the Tigers postgame broadcast that Polanco was out for the year.

"You don't replace a guy like Polanco," Leyland said. "This is one of those things that has to be digested. I'll talk to the club about it, but we won't make excuses. We've been fortunate with injuries this year, but they're part of baseball."

Because Brandon Inge had already been used as a defensive replacement, Rodriguez had to move from catcher to second base, with Vance Wilson taking over behind the plate. Rodriguez had never played second base in 2,256 previous major and minor league games.

"I knew right away," Rodriguez said, adding that he played second in Little League and third before turning pro. "I've taken ground balls throughout the season, so if the team needs me, I'm ready."

Detroit led 2-1 with two out in the seventh and a runner on second when Doug Mirabelli lofted a flare to short center. Polanco went back and dove for it, catching the ball and trying to break his fall with both arms.

His teammates motioned frantically for the training staff, and Leyland ran out to the field with them. Vance Wilson pinch hit for him to start the eighth, and Rodriguez took over in the field.

"I would rather have him drop the ball so he didn't get hurt," Tigers starter Jeremy Bonderman said. "He will be missed a lot. He's a big part of the club."

Detroit squandered a 2-1 lead when David Ortiz tied it in the eighth with his major league-leading 111th RBI -- his first in six games. But Mike Timlin (5-2) walked Carlos Guillen leading off the ninth, then Sean Casey moved him to third with his third hit of the game.

Monroe popped the ball up down the right-field line, but Wily Mo Pena let it glance off his glove as he approached the wall, and first base umpire Bruce Froemming signaled fair. Pena picked the ball up and caught Monroe off first base, but it was too late to keep the Tigers from winning their second in a row after coming to Boston with a five-game losing streak.

The play was scored a single and a 9-3 putout. Even if Pena had caught it, Guillen could well have scored on a sacrifice fly.

"The ball just hit my glove and fell down," Pena said. "My mind was on catching the ball and then thinking about throwing to home plate."

Fernando Rodney (6-3) retired Manny Ramirez -- his only batter -- on a groundout to end the eighth. Todd Jones pitched the ninth for his 33rd save in 36 tries, dropping the Red Sox three games behind first-place New York in the AL East.

Timlin went two innings, giving up one run, two hits and a walk.

Bonderman pitched 7 2-3 innings of five-hit ball, and Casey hit a two-run double in the seventh inning for Detroit, which struggled to break through against Curt Schilling. The Red Sox ace gave up two runs and nine hits in seven innings, striking out four -- an improvement over his previous outing, when he allowed an AL record-tying 10 extra-base hits to last-place Kansas City.

August 16th, 2006, 8:44 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Rodriguez was just speculating after the game. They still have to wait for the MRI, which will be done today to determine the extent of damage. But I agree, it doesn't look very promising....

Tim

August 16th, 2006, 9:40 am
RIP Killer

Since it's not his throwing arm, I'm giving him a 2 month timetable if he had a Type 3 separation (complete ligament tearing).

Didn't Clinton Portis just midly separate his shoulder? His timetable is 3 weeks.

Last edited by conversion02 on August 16th, 2006, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2006, 10:05 am
Hall of Fame Player

Omar Infante will replace Polanco at 2nd. Ramon Santiago has been called up to replace Omar as a utility middle infielder.

August 16th, 2006, 10:26 am
Hall of Fame Player

It appears that Bonderman has regained his pre- All Star Break form.

Hopefully having skipped Verlander once in the rotation helps him to regain his form. Leyland is planning on resting all the starters by skipping them at least once.

August 16th, 2006, 10:30 am
NFL Team Captain

Soriano was put on waviers today. He was originally a second baseman or we could keep him in the outfield. Even if we just rented him for the rest of the season. It would be great to have a hitter of his caliber for the playoffs.

August 16th, 2006, 12:06 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

I just hope if we do get him, that he is a team player.

With the waiver wire the way it is, the Tigers would have the very last shot at claiming him, right? Since they have the best record in MLB.

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

August 16th, 2006, 12:41 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Yep, the Tigs are last on the waiver wire. And don't count on Soriano making it all the way down to Detroit. The first playoff contender (Cincinnati???) will snatch him up, so we'll be stuck with Infante at second.

August 16th, 2006, 12:50 pm
Modmin Dude

That would be awesome!!

I just hope if we do get him, that he is a team player.

With the waiver wire the way it is, the Tigers would have the very last shot at claiming him, right? Since they have the best record in MLB.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not too sure that all of the other teams will pass on him......but you never know.

August 16th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Why exactly did Washington not trade him, talk about signing him long term, and then put him on waivers?? Makes no sense to me unless Soriano balked at the amount Washington was offering him....

Tim

August 16th, 2006, 1:47 pm
RIP Killer

When I was in DC a few weeks ago and all the Soriano talk was in the headlines, Soriano said himself (on TV) that he would love to stay with the Nats and would sign for slightly less than with another club just to stay with the Nats. The reporter asked whether or not it had to do with the Nats' record this season and he said absolutely not.

Something must have happened between Soriano, his agent, and the Nats' organization.

August 16th, 2006, 2:50 pm

X-rays show Polanco's shoulder isn't broken

Tom Gage The Detroit News

Injured Tigers second baseman Placido Polanco got some good news Wednesday morning. His left shoulder isn't broken.

That's as far as the good news goes, so far.

Polanco suffered a separated left shoulder in the seventh inning of the Tigers' 3-2 victory over the Red Sox on Tuesday night at Fenway Park. He has been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Infielder Ramon Santiago was recalled from Toledo to take his place on the roster, and at this point, it appears that Omar Infante will inherit the bulk of the playing time at second base.

X-rays on Polanco's shoulder Wednesday showed there is no fracture, but there is no timeline for the amount of time he'll miss, or if he's out for the rest of the season.

He will be examined by Tigers team physicians Thursday, after the Tigers return from Boston, at which time a more definitive outlook will be determined.

Good news, but we won't know more until Thursday. Hopefully he is a quick healer.....

Tim

August 16th, 2006, 3:55 pm
Varsity 1st Team

As of Sept 7.....2B Placido Polanco, recovering from a separated left shoulder, is still about two to three weeks away from returning, Leyland said.

September 8th, 2006, 8:18 am
RIP Killer

We need Guillen back too. Perez is KILLING us!

September 8th, 2006, 9:01 am

We need Guillen back too. Perez is KILLING us!

I agree! Perez is a very good glove, but he cannot hit a baseball, even if it was the size of a beachball.......

Tim

September 8th, 2006, 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next