View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 What did everyone think of the fake Clinton Portis story? 
Stadium Announcer

Post What did everyone think of the fake Clinton Portis story?
I knew it was fake right away (being a web developer helps) but if you didn't or have him on one of your fantasy teams, what was your reaction?

September 10th, 2004, 10:21 am
Profile YIM WWW
RIP Killer

I didn't see it but here is the retraction:

http://www.sportsline.com/general/story/7663908
?
Contrary to a CBS SportsLine.com breaking news bulletin from CBS Sports insider Billy Devaney, Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis will not miss significant time this season with an injury.

CBS Sports, Devaney and SportsLine.com regret the error, which was prominently displayed on CBS SportsLine's home page for about 5 minutes late Thursday afternoon. It was egregious and, frankly, unforgivable, and we apologize to our readers, Portis and to the Redskins for publishing the misinformation.

Accurate information is a user and reader commodity we take very seriously, and this story did not meet those standards.

Again, please accept our apology.

-------------------------------------

makes me giggle... :lol:

September 10th, 2004, 11:19 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I actually didn't know of the story when it happened (otherwise I would have had another heart attack, I drafted Ricky AND Clinton on one of my teams) but I read about it and it didn't seem legit when it first happened.

September 11th, 2004, 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

I know who started the story basically just as a joke. It was a guy that goes by the name of 'The Moz' at FFToday.com. He's in my 60 team fantasy league.

Some guys at Footballguys.com sniffed the story out at FFToday and were gullable enough to run with it. Somehow it got to CBS and they didn't do the due diligence and the rest is history.

So in summary, I blame Footballgays for being so gullable.

March 28th, 2005, 5:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
What anonymity levels of HTTP proxy servers exist?
1. Transparent - these proxies are not anonymous. They don't hide IP-address of a client and let a web server know that you are surfing through a proxy server. The task of such proxies, as a rule, is information caching and/or support of Internet access for several computers via single connection. Such proxies are not applicable for security and privacy while surfing on net. You can use them only for network speed improvement.
2. Anonymous - these proxies don't show your real IP but change the request fields so it is very easy to detect that you are using proxy.
3. High Anonymous - these proxy servers do not pass an IP-address of a client and don't send any variables indicating that you are using proxy server to host and look like real browser.

http://www.checkproxy.net

July 19th, 2005, 10:10 am
RIP Killer

First of all: What? This is a fantasy football topic, how do proxies play into this? It's good info, but irrelevant here.

Second: Welcome to lionbacker, Versatile.

July 19th, 2005, 11:05 am
QB Coach

July 19th, 2005, 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Funny thing is, all those people who dumped Portis because of the fake story ended up doing the right thing....

July 20th, 2005, 7:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]