View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 6:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 3rd Round Fodder for my Lions Mock 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post 3rd Round Fodder for my Lions Mock
I'm 6 picks away and gave targeted some players based on bpa and need.

Charlie Frye, QB Akron
Jerome Mathis, WR Hampton
Kirk Morrison, ILB San Diego St.
C.J. Mosley, DT Missouri

Frye seems to be in the Chad Pennington prototype. A solid passer and elusive enough to dodge the rush.

Mathis seems to fit the Hakim mold. He's just about the same size, he's quick and he drops balls.

I was impressed with reading about Kirk Morrison. He seems to be a smart player with just enough skill to take him to the next level.

Mosley seemed to be decent read too. He's an athletic 300 pounder that could easily pack 20 more pounds without losing much speed.

Other notables available...
Kyle Orton, QB
Eric Green, CB
Jovan Haye, DE
Adrian McPherson, QB
Bill Swancutt, DE

I'm leaning towards Mosley and Morrison right now.

Thoughts?

April 4th, 2005, 9:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
QB Coach

Both Mosley and Morrison are overrated prospects, with Morrison being more overrated. He doesn't have anything going for him other than statistics. He doesn't have explosion, or the speed to excel at the NFL level. He ran a 4.7 40, compare that to others at the position who run in the 4.5 range. Mosley has potential, but he came out too early... and generally that means you slip in the draft. Look at Butler, Jason Shivers, and other underclassmen from last year.

I like Frye in the third solely based on value. Detroit doesn't have any real needs, and they will likely select BPA, unless they want to target an elite DE or FS.

April 4th, 2005, 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I couldn't disagree more. Mosley and Morrison in the 3rd round are steals. Morrison has explosion. What he lacks is top end speed. A 4.7 is not a compete indicator of explosion. He may get off the blocks in a hurry but not have a top gear to get him under 4.6 seconds. A linebacker usually makes his play under 30 yards anyway.

He has the a nose for the ball and gets there in a hurry. How a player plays on the field is the most important barometer of how good a player is. And his gaudy stats are a good indicator of him being a solid linebacker.

Anyway danzone, I would rate the players you list like so:

1. Kirk Morrison
2. Charlie Frye
3. CJ Mosley
4. Adrian McPherson
5. Bill Swancutt

The others you list I give a day 2 grade. Morrison, Frye and Mosley I give 2nd round grades, and McPherson and Swancutt a 3rd round grade.

Considering you've drafted Barron in round 1 and Brodney Pool in round 2, it shouldn't matter who you take. Any of the top 4 should be fine.

April 4th, 2005, 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]