View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 4:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 How will the Tigers finish the season? 

Poll ended at September 27th, 2006, 5:44 pm
Central Division Champs 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
AL Wildcard team 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
Out of the playoffs 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

RIP Killer

Post How will the Tigers finish the season?
Will the free fall continue?

The Detroit Tigers' six-week slump could finally drop them out of first place Wednesday night.

After losing for the 25th time in 39 games and having their lead in the AL Central cut to a half-game, the Tigers hope to remain atop the division when they take on the Chicago White Sox in the finale of a three-game series.

The Tigers (90-61) fell 7-0 to the White Sox on Tuesday, as Freddy Garcia allowed one hit in eight shutout innings for the second straight start. Detroit held a season-high 10-game lead in the Central following play Aug. 7, when its record stood at 76-36, but is now fighting to keep ahead of surging Minnesota, which defeated Boston on Tuesday to pull within one-half game.

"There's a lot of baseball left," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "We're going to have to get rolling a little better offensively if we want to get in."

September 20th, 2006, 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah, its getting pretty bad, but I think they will make the wild card. We have to remember that before the season started, we would have thought that the wild card would wouldn't be in our reach.

September 20th, 2006, 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

To finish the season (10 games left):
1 vs Balt
3 vs KC
3 vs TOR
3 vs KC

They need to take the next 3 series and win at least 7 of the next 10 in order to win the division.

September 21st, 2006, 12:25 am
After tonight the wild card is pretty much a given if we do happen to fall out of first place...

Convo... Is your 7 game scenario speculative based up Minny losing some games??? Cause they're only a 1/2 behind us... It would seem we would need to win 9 out of 10 to guarantee anything???

September 21st, 2006, 2:31 am
RIP Killer

1 @ BOS
3 @ BALT
4 vs KC
3 vs CWS

I think they'll lose to BOS, 2/3 from BALT, 3/4 vs KC, and 2 against CWS. 6/10...but that's high hopes.

September 21st, 2006, 9:17 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think the Tigers are starting to hit again at the right time and Bonderman has won his last 2 starts, so I still think the Tigers will win the division. The schedule definitely favors us with 6 remaining games against the Royals, who we are 11-1 against so far this year. I think it will go down to the last series of the year, and with us playing the Royals and the Twins facing the WhiteSox, i like are chances much better.

BTW, if we finished tied, Detroit gets the division on the fact we won the head to head matchup against the Twinkies this year......

Tim

September 21st, 2006, 2:56 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Ivoted that they will win the division, although it wasn't a very confident vote.

I think they are starting to hit a little better and with the monkey off their back about getting into the playoffs, even though they're technically not there yet, I hope they start playing better.

The Twinkies have been using rookie and sub-par pitchers for a few weeks now and they have been doing very good. It's time for a mini slump from them. (I hope)

:wink:

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

September 21st, 2006, 3:22 pm
RIP Killer

Granderson and Mags have both had excellent ABs the past 3 games; really starting to bring out the wood. Granderson has been limited on the K's as well...which is a SHOCK!

September 21st, 2006, 4:53 pm

Granderson and Mags have both had excellent ABs the past 3 games; really starting to bring out the wood. Granderson has been limited on the K's as well...which is a SHOCK!

Granderson had a double and solo HR and Maggs hit a 2 run HR against the Orioles and...............we lost! 4-3......no one else hit. Casey left 4 on base. I think the Twins will be in 1st place by themselves after tonight w/ Santana pitching....

Tim

September 21st, 2006, 7:20 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I went with Wild Card because they are in meltdown mode and have been for some time. Technically, the Twins are now in first place by a fraction of a percentage point after today's Tigers' loss.

September 21st, 2006, 8:25 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:

Granderson had a double and solo HR and Maggs hit a 2 run HR against the Orioles and...............we lost! 4-3......no one else hit. Casey left 4 on base. I think the Twins will be in 1st place by themselves after tonight w/ Santana pitching....

Santana only pitched 5 and has been getting tore up a little. Guerrier came in and got owned by back-to-back HRs.

Twinkies will lose this game, they're down 6-0 in the 7th. So we'll be back to a 1/2 game lead

September 21st, 2006, 9:22 pm

Santana only pitched 5 and has been getting tore up a little. Guerrier came in and got owned by back-to-back HRs.

Twinkies will lose this game, they're down 6-0 in the 7th. So we'll be back to a 1/2 game lead

This was a surprising outcome, but a welcome one. We really let a big one get away in Baltimore because the Sox lost as well.

Tim

September 22nd, 2006, 9:37 am
RIP Killer

Poor Nate Roberston. The guy never gets ANY run support whatsoever. Luckily, he only gave up 2 and the Tigers scored 3 while he was in the game...otherwise he would have gotten another undeserved loss. Nate didn't pitch real well last night (control issues to say the least). He threw, what, 5 BB's? He needs to cut that crap out in the playoffs.

Nate's pitched well enough to be an 18 game winner this season, surprising he hasn't asked for a trade.

September 22nd, 2006, 10:22 am
Poor Nate Roberston. The guy never gets ANY run support whatsoever. Luckily, he only gave up 2 and the Tigers scored 3 while he was in the game...otherwise he would have gotten another undeserved loss. Nate didn't pitch real well last night (control issues to say the least). He threw, what, 5 BB's? He needs to cut that crap out in the playoffs.

Nate's pitched well enough to be an 18 game winner this season, surprising he hasn't asked for a trade.

LoL... this is soooo true... But ya know what?... That's just baseball, and I think Nate knows it.

Sometimes it seems players don't like a certain pitcher and maybe they don't intentionally have poor offensive performances for that guy, but it always seems to happen that way. I really don't see that with Nate... It really just seems like it is the luck of the draw... I don't think it would be wise for Nate to ask for a trade... He's a good pitcher and all, but I don't think he's ready to be anyone's Ace... IMO he's not going to make much more elsewhere as a mid-rotation starter, so why leave a team that's now a contender???

September 22nd, 2006, 12:11 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

If he asked for a trade every9one would be all over him stating how selfish he's being. he doesn't need to be traded. You always have at least one pitcher who doesn't get good run support. 3 years ago it was Maroth, this year its Robertson.

Dombrowski will go out and get a really good hitter this off season. Plus with Maybin coming up next year (hopefully) our offense should be improved.

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

September 22nd, 2006, 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next