View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Albert Haynesworth 5 day? 
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Albert Haynesworth 5 day?
This guy steps on someones head not once but twice? And he only gets a 5 day suspension? I think thats insane, this guy should have been suspended for atleast 10 games. This was the most bizzare thing I've ever seen.

October 2nd, 2006, 8:16 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Albert Haynesworth 5 day?
wi7son wrote:
This guy steps on someones head not once but twice? And he only gets a 5 day suspension? I think thats insane, this guy should have been suspended for atleast 10 games. This was the most bizzare thing I've ever seen.

5 GAMES!! Not days!

It will cost him over $500K of this years salary.

It took 30 stitches to close the wounds in Gurode's head!

I think the NFL fined him this much so as not to involve legal / police action. It's a good call. A heavy fine like this will show all concerned that this can't happen again.

October 2nd, 2006, 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

Good Call? What the hell are you talking about? When a 320lb man stomps on someones face un-protected with cleats on it might as well be called attepmted murder, he could have easily killed him when he did that. A 5 game suspention is NOT a good punishment. This man should be banned from the NFL for this, there is NO REASON for it whatsoever. There has been no indication at all that he was provoked in any way, there are no excuses and the "remorseful apology" he delivered is damn sure not sencire. This is not the first time he has assulted someone, is not the first time his anger problems have been known. The man is sick and should be banned from the NFL for life.

October 3rd, 2006, 4:16 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I'm not sure if the five game suspension is a just call or not. This can most certainly be viewed as a criminal act that could warrant much more of a severe punishment. Maybe the commish should of followed the NHL example of a few years back and considered a one year suspension, I believe criminal proceedings took place in that incident.

October 3rd, 2006, 2:13 pm
Site Admin

ouch...that is a big man

October 3rd, 2006, 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Good Call? What the hell are you talking about? When a 320lb man stomps on someones face un-protected with cleats on it might as well be called attepmted murder, he could have easily killed him when he did that. A 5 game suspention is NOT a good punishment. This man should be banned from the NFL for this, there is NO REASON for it whatsoever. There has been no indication at all that he was provoked in any way, there are no excuses and the "remorseful apology" he delivered is damn sure not sencire. This is not the first time he has assulted someone, is not the first time his anger problems have been known. The man is sick and should be banned from the NFL for life.

It is a good call!

While I agree that his crime is heinous and unnecessary - an NFL ban was just unrealistic. That was never going to happen in this or any sport. A ban would certainly be appealed (not that this won't be) and most likely overturned (and this won't be).

5 Games is 31% of the season (the equivalent of 51 games in baseball) and it's unprecedented in the NFL. It's enough that it sends a clear message to other players in the future and (VERY important to the NFL) it sends a message to the government that the NFL can handle it's own and doesn't require a congressional committee to review 'trends of violence in the NFL' or any other nonsense like that.

The NFL does not want the government meddling in the game and neither do you. Furthermore, the NFL doesn't even want it to escalate beyond this point and have assault charges filed, legal entanglements and court proceedings, blah blah blah. The NFL wants it over ASAP.

There is no excuse for the act and clearly Haynesworth was wrong. But you have to move beyond the emotion and look at the bigger picture and business and legal ramifications, OR, at least understand that's what the NFL does.

October 3rd, 2006, 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

Then the NFL needs to seriously re-evaluate what they do. This man assaulted someone unprovoked during a game in a manner that could have killed the man. Your right, realistically no one will ever be banned from the NFL even if they were to go to prison for murder it still woudlnt happen and thats truly sad. The guys at the top of the chain that make those decisions care more about the money they make off the players then the lives of the players. I personally hope full charges are presses so someone can actually make a smart decision with this situation and haynesworth can get what he deserves.

October 3rd, 2006, 5:12 pm
RIP Killer

It has already been stated that Andre Gurode is going to wait some time before he decides whether to press criminal charges. His agent and he have supposedly informed the league that they make seek that course of action. I for one, hope he does file criminal and civil charges against this fat bastard pig of a human, and hope he forces him into life time bankruptcy. If this had taken place off the field, certainly Haynesworth would be facing felonious assault with intent to do great bodily harm charges. Parcells should have called in the cops to haul his lard butt away before the game even ended.

While I suggested the league suspend him for six games, I also said I wanted the league to officially put him on probation for the remainder of this season and all of next. That would be done with the idea that if he did one more thing considered to be a criminal act, on or off the field, he would be banned from playing in the NFL again. I think it is a move they should strongly consider.

Were I Jeff Fisher, I would have added an additional game to what the league handed down, and I would have fined him all of his pay for the Dallas game to boot, with the money going to a charity for battered children.

For me, I hope somebody crack backs on this waste and blows out both his knees, ending his career. He has no place in this game. Football is violent enough and poses enough risks without sh*t stains like him lurking about.

October 3rd, 2006, 8:23 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Rob_Shadows wrote:

It is a good call!

While I agree that his crime is heinous and unnecessary - an NFL ban was just unrealistic. That was never going to happen in this or any sport. A ban would certainly be appealed (not that this won't be) and most likely overturned (and this won't be).

5 Games is 31% of the season (the equivalent of 51 games in baseball) and it's unprecedented in the NFL. It's enough that it sends a clear message to other players in the future and (VERY important to the NFL) it sends a message to the government that the NFL can handle it's own and doesn't require a congressional committee to review 'trends of violence in the NFL' or any other nonsense like that.

The NFL does not want the government meddling in the game and neither do you. Furthermore, the NFL doesn't even want it to escalate beyond this point and have assault charges filed, legal entanglements and court proceedings, blah blah blah. The NFL wants it over ASAP.

There is no excuse for the act and clearly Haynesworth was wrong. But you have to move beyond the emotion and look at the bigger picture and business and legal ramifications, OR, at least understand that's what the NFL does.

Im sorry for my previous post error. Still I feel that a 5 game suspension is ridiculous. I think I heard on NFL Network that a 5 game suspension is a record, but I meen come on, its not like this guy just stepped on the other guys face 1 time.. First he swung on him with a fist, then he stepped on his face, and then he kicked him again. I look at this as close to attempted murder. I relize that might sound ridiculous to some, but I have never seen anything like this. WTF could provoke this guy to do this.

I agree with Alpha Titans front office should have tacked a game or 2 onto this, but I knew they wouldnt looking at their personel problems, and the fact that Fat Albert is a top 10 DT in alot of eyes.

I just hope Gurode presses charges. It was also said on NFL network that Gurode was waiting on a phone call from Albert before he followed through with any police reports.

I think Paul Tagliabue would have black listed that Cocksmoker, and feel it was a bad call from our new commissioner Goodell.

October 4th, 2006, 1:40 am
Red Shirt Freshman

I think he should get a lifetime ban. Trying to use "its a game" as an excuse is sad. There are consequences for actions like this and if it is a criminal offense then it should be taken care of by the local officials.

I had him on my fantasy team and immediately dropped him and will never pick him again.

This is why the US is going down the pooper (morally). People want to give excuses for this guy even though he doesn't deserve it.

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

October 4th, 2006, 6:49 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I agree with the NFL decision. While a season long suspension could be warranted, the one he was given is 2-1/2 times longer than any other in NFL history for an on-the-field incident. Hopefully, this will send a message that any future behavior of this magnitude won't be tolerated, and the suspensions could increase over the usual 1 or 2 game suspension.

In addition, Gurode has stated that he won't be pressing criminal charges, even though he could have. Haynesworth has also been remorseful of the incident and has apologized to Gurode directly, as well as others.

On a side note, the Titans are now attempting to retrieve approx. $300K of his signing bonus for violating his contract. Personally, I don't think they can do that based upon the new CBA.

October 7th, 2006, 4:01 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

Titans | Team asking for $300,000 back from Haynesworth
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 22:55:29 -0700

The Titans Radio Network reports the Tennessee Titans wrote a letter to DL Albert Haynesworth and asked him to return an estimated $300,000 of his signing bonus for the five games he will miss from his suspension. "We received written notification that he was in default of his contract," said Haynesworth's agent Chad Speck. General manager Floyd Reese said Haynesworth would be allowed to rejoin the team if his suspension goes well, but owner Bud Adams will have the final word on if he will be allowed to return to the lineup.

Cowboys | Owens disagrees with Haynesworth's punishment
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 08:42:14 -0700

Mac Engel, of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports Dallas Cowboys WR Terrell Owens disagrees with the punishment Tennessee Titans DL Albert Haynesworth received for stomping on Cowboys C Andre Gurode (face). Owens believes it isn't fair he was punished for nine games for "freedom of speech" while with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2005 and Haynesworth was only suspended for five games without pay.

You know I agree with TO for once.

October 7th, 2006, 8:29 pm
Varsity 1st Team

I think he should get a lifetime ban. Trying to use "its a game" as an excuse is sad. There are consequences for actions like this and if it is a criminal offense then it should be taken care of by the local officials.

I had him on my fantasy team and immediately dropped him and will never pick him again.

This is why the US is going down the pooper (morally). People want to give excuses for this guy even though he doesn't deserve it.
Agreed. It is clear what Haynesworth's intent was and it was not game related.

October 8th, 2006, 7:56 am
Stadium Announcer

I look at this as close to attempted murder. I relize that might sound ridiculous to some, but I have never seen anything like this

lol

attempted murder? obviously you've never been in or seen a street fight before. hell ive seen grade schoolers throw better fights than that.[/code]

October 9th, 2006, 12:13 am
Quote:
I look at this as close to attempted murder. I relize that might sound ridiculous to some, but I have never seen anything like this

lol

attempted murder? obviously you've never been in or seen a street fight before. hell ive seen grade schoolers throw better fights than that.[/code]

Grade schoolers don't weight 330lbs... Nor do they really have the potential to kill eachother with a single blow. The same can't be said when it comes to massive adults with abnormal physical strength.

That said, I agree with the punishment. I look at it in light of M2's logic... A 1/3 of a season and 500,000 (and it looks like that # is going to grow to 800,000 if Tenn. gets their way.. they're asking for 300,000 of his SB back) is a HUGE penalty. Also, he's done EVERYTHING right since the act subsequent to yelling at Fisher immediately after the event... He immediately apologized right after the game, he's called and personally apologized, he's entered anger management on his own fruition, and he's said all the right things... He says he's embarrassed and he'll never do it again and seems sincere...

This is the biggest punishment the NFL has ever had for an on the field incident... IMO it seems big enough to send a message, and it is an appropriate penalty for the crime...

October 9th, 2006, 1:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]