View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 4:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Would you be happy if the Lions... 
Stats Boy

Post Would you be happy if the Lions...
Drafted Alex Smith QB Utah in the first round at 10? assuming everyones gone but the DE's.

April 6th, 2005, 7:53 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I would not be happy, we got a promising guy in joey at least IMO...

Michael Huff for DROY

April 6th, 2005, 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

The other Alex Smith in the second round has great upside, perhaps more than any other TE in the draft.

April 6th, 2005, 8:21 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post Re: Would you be happy if the Lions...
lionsforlife wrote:
Drafted Alex Smith QB Utah in the first round at 10? assuming everyones gone but the DE's.
I don't know if I'd really be happy but I wouldn't be upset either. If they feel he's the BPA then I'm cool with that. I've heard some people say that while Smith may be the QB with the most upside, that he may need a year or two to develope into a starter.

With Garcia only signed for a year (probably a good call) I really do feel the Lions should try to address their long term QB depth in this draft (althogh I was never thinking 1st rd). If he became a top backup - great. If he surpasses Harington so be it. I'm really not hopeing for a QB in the first round and I doubt it would happen. But if M&M were to think highly enough of him to take him at #10 I'd be able to live with that.

I really doubt it will be an issue though.

April 6th, 2005, 8:48 pm
Stadium Announcer

If they did that they would risk putting the team in salary cap jeopardy for at least two years with the money owed Joey plus another 1st round QB. It is too much of a salary hit to have that much money tied up in four players at two positions.

If the Lions think that they need to draft a QB I would be much happier with Klye Orton in the fifth or sixth round. Purdue plays a variation of the run and shoot but also runs the ball efficiently. His experience is closer to the wco than most.

Maybe McPherson in the third or fouth but he is too much of a run first pass second QB. He did play well in the Arene League but the comparrisions are very vague.

The fields, style of play, offensive and defensive philosophy, quality of competition, and pressure are not in the same league.

April 6th, 2005, 10:09 pm
RIP Killer

Orton will be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd.

April 6th, 2005, 10:26 pm
Stadium Announcer

I don't think that Orton will be gon by the third round.

Most mocks that I've seen have him going in the fourth or fifth round.

April 6th, 2005, 10:35 pm
RIP Killer

Weird. Everything I've seen has him ranked as one of the top 5 QBs in the draft (right along with Campbell). He's a smart, tough, accurate passer. His knocks is that he's inconsistant at times and he gets flustered. He's a boom or bust prospect, I can gaurantee some team will gamble on him before the fourth.

April 6th, 2005, 10:38 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Alex Smith is a long way from being a polished NFL QB if people are already tired of waiting around for Harrington your going to be waiting a longer time for Smith.

So yes I would be upset. But I also can't see it happen. If Cleveland doesn't take him at #3 I wouldn't be suprised to see him drop into the bottom of the first round.

I also wouldn't be suprised to see the Lions not draft a QB until the 6th or 7th round if they draft one at all. Because if Harrington does bomb they are not turning the team over to another rookie QB. Look for them to sign or trade for somebody like David Garrard of Jacksonville to be the starter the following year.

April 6th, 2005, 11:20 pm
Div 1 - Starter

if Harrington does bomb they are not turning the team over to another rookie QB. Look for them to sign or trade for somebody like David Garrard of Jacksonville to be the starter the following year.

While I agree that the Lions aren't excited about starting from scratch with another rookie QB, I cannot agree that they will avoid snagging a prospect in this draft, since they can afford to let him sit for a year.

Finally, my main reason for responding to this post:

IMO, David Garrard = Scott Mitchell. [-X That's what I was thinking the entire time JAX was marching down the field in OT (admittedly, not that long) and the commentators were singing his praises. I just think it is incredibly obvious.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 7th, 2005, 12:16 am
QB Coach

The reason I am opposed to it, is because of what happened in San Diego this season.

If Joey holds onto his job, and plays lights-out (what am I saying?) then we have Joey's contract and Smith's contract for the next few years.

When you draft a QB top 10, you HAVE to make a complete committment to him, and we just couldn't do that with Alex Smith. We don't have a complete evaluation on Harrington yet, we don't know if he can be our starter or not.

I think we are going to wait until next season to address our QB position, if Joey doesn't pan out, and not draft his replacement this season, if necessary.

As for your draft scenario, I don't see the Lions missing out on all the defensive ends, wide receivers, and Derrick Johnson. Aaron Rodgers will most likely go first. Alex Smith 3rd overall. Two runningbacks will be gone, at least. Also Antrel Rolle, and possibly Adam Jones.

That's 5-6 players already. Add in Johnson, Williams, Edwards, Merriman, and Spears, then the Lions likely won't miss out on an target.

Worst case scenario would be to draft Marcus Spears, Erasmus James, or David Pollack, when Johnson, Merriman, Edwards, and Williams are all gone. We would have to stretch for a second tier player.

April 7th, 2005, 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]