View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Alex Smith, QB in town 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Alex Smith, QB in town
Alex Smith is in town right now meeting with the Lions. Is this:

A) A genuine interest in drafting him with the 10th pick?

B) Just wondering if they like him in case he is there when they pick at #10?

C) A ploy to make other teams THINK they may have an interest in order to secure more / better picks to trade down?

D) Is he really even here?

April 6th, 2005, 8:20 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Hmm....D really makes me wonder. I'll have to take C though. I can't see them having that little faith in Joey in spending the #10 pick on a QB.

April 6th, 2005, 8:23 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

I'd guess both B & C. I don't think they covit the guy, but if they were unable to trade down and he was the BPA then I could see them taking him if he impressed. Although it's a very high pick to use on a QB if you're not shopping for a new starter, it wouldn't have mean they were looking to get rid of Joey.

April 6th, 2005, 8:55 am
Site Admin

IMO...if he is there at 10 and they believe this kid is going to be a bonified pro I say DO IT! We have no major needs and a year or two to develop a young QB. Unless people think that one of these guys that we can nab in the 3rd will turn into better prospect like (McPherson or whomever) than I would be inclined to seriously consider it.

April 6th, 2005, 9:13 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

C - the Lions pulled off the trade with the Browns last year because Millen had Cleveland beleiving they would take Winslow.

Now, this does worry me a little. If the Lions think that Smith will fall to them at #10, that tells me DJ will be off the board by the time the Lions select - perhaps as early as the third pick. argh!

I also think this is another indication that the Lions are planning for every possible option, expect Millen to be working the phones hard on the 23rd.

April 6th, 2005, 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I think millen's scamming. Just read the article they posted on their website about the draft . Its just Millen being Millen. I think he already had Keyed in on the teams that have highest need for DJ, or Smith, Or one of the Corner backs if they are still available. Its Just a Chess match and they're putting there pieces into position. Excellent stratagey if I do say so myself. M & M (Millen & Mooch) did just fine last year, so I trust they have every contingency plans in place to strike whenever possible 8)

April 6th, 2005, 2:13 pm
RIP Killer

Just heard from Alpha that this is a mix up and it is Alex Smith is visiting, but it is the tight end not the QB.

April 6th, 2005, 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

April 6th, 2005, 4:46 pm
Stadium Announcer

He's the guy that we may want for the future at TE. I hope he falls to the third. If not we can wait a year to get a Te of the future.

April 6th, 2005, 10:30 pm
RIP Killer

No way he'd fall that far. Too many teams are looking for TEs. Lions, Jets, Steelers to name a few.

April 6th, 2005, 10:35 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Witch Smith??
This was a mix up. It was the QB (not TE) - BUT he wasn't here yet. Someone (possibly his own father) in his hometown (I don't recall where) released the story he was visiting Detroit today. But he is actually scheduled for next week.

Therefore, I think C and D are the best answers.

April 6th, 2005, 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Smith - QB Vs. TE
This story continues to be a confusing one. Lots of conflict...

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions7e_20050407.htm

April 7th, 2005, 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Its Alex Smith the TE from Stanford, not the QB from Utah

April 7th, 2005, 6:29 am
Site Admin

That is too funny. I was completely duped #-o

Quote:
TE - not QB - Alex Smith to visit Lions nfl

BY CURT SYLVESTER, FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The rumors are true: Alex Smith is scheduled to visit the Lions.

Contrary to the Wednesday rumors, however, it is tight end Alex Smith of Stanford -- not quarterback Alex Smith from Utah -- who is expected to meet with Lions coaches in Allen Park this week.

Alex Smith, the quarterback, is expected to be one of the first five players taken in the NFL draft April 23. Some are projecting him as the No. 1 pick.

The Lions -- with Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia set as the top two quarterbacks -- are not expected to take a quarterback in the early rounds of the draft, so the rumors of a meeting with Alex Smith, the quarterback, were puzzling.

Stanford's Alex Smith is one of two tight ends considered worthy of being drafted in the first two rounds of the draft.

The interest in Smith, the tight end, is more logical. They recently signed 10-year veteran tight end Marcus Pollard but he is 33, and is the fourth starting tight end in as many years. By drafting Smith or Heath Miller of Virginia, the Lions would have a long-term solution to the position.

It is common for teams to arrange visits for players they would consider drafting. The Lions are currently in that process.

They have not yet landed a wide receiver in free agency and there are indications they might be looking to fill that position in the early rounds.

They met Wednesday with Mark Clayton of Oklahoma and Troy Williamson of South Carolina -- both first-round prospects -- and Mike Williams of USC reportedly will visit sometime within the next week.

The Lions have the 10th pick in the first round of the draft.

NOTEBOOK: Tackle Kyle Kosier, a restricted free agent from San Francisco, visited. Kosier is a three-year veteran and played his first two NFL seasons under Lions line coach Pat Morris. He started all 16 games for the 49ers last year, including nine at left tackle, and has NFL experience at four of the five offensive line positions. ... Unrestricted free agent linebacker and special teams player Wali Rainer has signed a one-year contract with the Lions.

Jacksonville: The Jaguars signed veteran free agent defensive tackle Tony Williams. Williams will likely be a backup behind Pro Bowl tackles Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. Williams, 29, played six games with Cincinnati last season before missing the rest of the season with a broken ankle suffered in October

Minnesota: An NFL investigation into ticket-scalping has found evidence that Vikings coach Mike Tice violated league policy. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, speaking at a news conference, said he would discipline Tice soon for his handling of Super Bowl tickets, but did not specify when. Tagliabue said the discipline likely would include fines for reselling tickets, but no suspension. Tice was being investigated for heading up a ticket-scalping operation within the Vikings organization that included assistant coaches and some players. Tice didn't immediately respond to a message left with team officials.

Philadelphia: Terrell Owens has a new agent. He doesn't have a new contract -- yet. The Eagles' receiver recently hired Drew Rosenhaus to replace his longtime agent, David Joseph. Rosenhaus met with Eagles president Joe Banner presumably to discuss his client's contract. Owens, who helped lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia, signed a seven-year deal worth almost $49 million last March. ... Fullback Jon Ritchie signed a one-year contract with the Eagles, returning to the NFC champions after missing most of last season with a knee injury.

Free Press news services contributed.

April 7th, 2005, 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]